Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and Inflamed Eyes  (Read 129 times)

Offline Eilis1959

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and Inflamed Eyes
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »
Hi All

I am new to this forum, thanks for letting me join.
I was first told I had raised anxiety levels about 20 years ago following the death of my mother.  Since then, I seem to have flare ups every so often.
Over the past year I have suffered with dry eyes which are constantly red.  I saw my GP who referred me to an Ophthalmologist.  Several months later and after trying quite a lot of different treatments they seem stumped.  My eyes still feel dry but they are not as bad as they were.
The Ophthalmologist has ruled out any serious conditions and said my eyes are actually healthy.
My main problem now is the whites of my eyes are still inflamed, I am really self conscious and feel as though everyone is staring at me.  The doctors seem confused about the redness, I am just wondering if my anxiety levels have increased so much they are causing the inflamation. I am constantly thinking about my eyes and worrying about them.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Bookmark and Share

Offline BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and Inflamed Eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
Hello Ellis,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Ellis, I would re-post your question under the Health Anxiety section.  That section gets more traffic than the Intro section.   I, personally, have not heard of this before, by anxiety can cause many, many issues.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fiwi

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and Inflamed Eyes
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »
Hi All

I am new to this forum, thanks for letting me join.
I was first told I had raised anxiety levels about 20 years ago following the death of my mother.  Since then, I seem to have flare ups every so often.
Over the past year I have suffered with dry eyes which are constantly red.  I saw my GP who referred me to an Ophthalmologist.  Several months later and after trying quite a lot of different treatments they seem stumped.  My eyes still feel dry but they are not as bad as they were.
The Ophthalmologist has ruled out any serious conditions and said my eyes are actually healthy.
My main problem now is the whites of my eyes are still inflamed, I am really self conscious and feel as though everyone is staring at me.  The doctors seem confused about the redness, I am just wondering if my anxiety levels have increased so much they are causing the inflamation. I am constantly thinking about my eyes and worrying about them.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Ellis!  I'm new here too.  I found this forum because of your post.  My eye inflammation began during my pregnancies, but after the 3rd, it never went away.  Flare ups were random at first, but now I can be guaranteed that a bout of anxiety will cause my sclera to flare up (ie Scleritis).  I take flurbiprofen for relief.  I also take Lexapro for my anxiety, but it's clearly not enough since I still suffer almost weekly for flare ups.  Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this. . .
Bookmark and Share

Tags: