Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: One week sober...feels *right* this time  (Read 902 times)

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: One week sober...feels *right* this time
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »
We hand out Gold Stars here. You are getting 4: one for your wife's picture; one for sailing through the party; one for finding exercise that suits you; one for career outlooks. Your liver is jumping for joy.

Now I have a problem with dark chocolate, candy bars and some desserts. I have a terrible craving after a meal. Tell myself not to bring it in, but the Old Boy here brings it anyway. Brought in Mounds Bars, for goodness sake. How am I supposed to resist them? And dark chocolate covered nut clusters. And chocolate pudding with whipped cream. I failed yesterday. Today I'm going to set up some kind of reward system. Bribe myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
Congratulations on your path so far! Sounds like things are going very well!!! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
Aww thanks guys :)

I am aware it's early days but I feel so much better about myself already.

TINAM, I am fortunate to not have a sweet tooth at all so I have no problem with sweets and chockies!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 09:23:54 AM »
Every day counts. Praise, praise, praise yourself.

I once dreamt up a pretend diet book. One reader told me no-one would know what it's about. Well, it did say, "A book of Fact, Fiction, and Suspense." I did equate the craving of chocolate and sugar to alcohol. Maybe a touch farfetched, but I suggested going "cold turkey" which I followed for a while. But, fair warning, I crashed. Never mind. I'm trying again. Hope to report back. Bribery was big, so maybe I'll try that again. Never, Never, Never crash. Tough to get back on the bandwagon.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
Hi Japheree...  Congratulations on your 2+ weeks of being clean and sober.  Just wanted to point out a few things to you, and others that might read this post, about A. A..  Each person in A. A. works their own program.  It belongs to the individual, and no one else.  As for the "Higher Power" in the program, that too is up to the individual.  When I first got involved in recovery, I was in a group therapy session.  One of the members was an atheist.  The therapist had the atheist lay down on the floor, then the other members of the group gently pinned down that individual.  The therapist said, "Now get up."  Of course the individual on the floor could not, as they were pinned down.  The therapist said, "Would you say that the group as a whole, are stronger than you are?"  The person on the floor said, "Yes!".  The group became that person's higher power.  I had one friend make their dog their higher power.  It's whatever works for you.  As I mentioned, A. A. is not for everyone.  To me, staying sober is like an insurance policy.  The more ways I change myself, the better my chances of staying clean and sober.  I was a complete loner when I drank and drugged; never went to a bar or nightclub.  Today, one of the ways I enhance my sobriety is to be very social.  If I ever find myself becoming a loner again, that is a warning to me that I'm heading in the wrong direction.  There are always warning signs that occur, before someone in recovery begins drinking again.  The best to you, Japheree!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 04:50:49 AM »
I'm now at 3 weeks and counting, my liver and wallet feel much better!

I understand where you are coming from about the reverting into yourself and shutting yourself off from people MobileChucko. It is something that has concerned me in the past. However, I also know that this is part of my personality that pre-dates my drinking and my stress. I have always preferred to be with a small group of people or on my own and I just don't think that this is an inherent symptom of my depression and the cause of my self medication.

That said, I rule nothing out and I now am a little more reassured about the higher power thing. Although it seems a little odd to me. I think a lot of my depression and anxiety has been caused by me feeling like I have no agency, that my actions, my self and inconsequential to the wider scheeme of things. I am slowly feeling more empowered again so I'm not really sure I understand the purpose of yeilding to a higher power. Perhaps you could outline why the higher power is so important?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
Just chiming in to extend praise and cheers and to add I'm also keen on the higher power issue and, no doubt, mostly a loner.

If you ask me, that higher power is mighty busy with the 8.8 billion planets like us in size and temperature. Maybe one of them has figured out how to live in peace and overcome some of our less exciting traits including having to be with "friends" a la the socializing stuff. Meeting them would be a worthwhile project since I'm not sure what there is worthwhile on the Moon or Mars.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Three weeks? Great!!  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
Hi Japheree (and everyone)...  You ask me if I could outline why the higher power in A. A. is so important.  I think in the most simplistic way, you can find the answer to this in the A. A. Promises.  At the end of the Promises it says, "We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves."  That is why a number of atheists and agnostics that I know, have made their home meeting group their higher power.  They don't believe in a God up in Heaven, but they do believe that attending meetings help to keep them sober.  There is an actual chapter to the agnostic/atheist in the "Big Book" of A. A..  It's easy to see that there are many forms of intelligence all around us.  If I tear a piece of paper, and put it in a book, when I go back to the book 50 years later, I will find the paper still torn.  But a number of years ago I tore one of my eardrums.  The eardrum repaired itself, without any surgery.  How did it know to do that?  Why does a simple house plant turn its leaves in the direction of a window to get sunlight?  And think of this...  We know that all matter is always in constant motion, electrons flying around their nucleus.  Where does an atom get its energy to do this?  It has no battery.  Science even calls its missing particle, "The God Particle".  I love the old Star Wars movies.  They call it "The Force", and it exists in everything.  Congratulations on your three weeks of sobriety, Japheree!  That is fabulous!  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
This is a nice explanation of The God Particle, thank you. Believe it also explains why Einstein was not atheist.

Now I think The Force is too busy trying to come up with a new and improved species somewhere in the 8.8 billion planets of our size and temps to pay much attention to us. But, as you also state, we can pay attention to each other and, in fact, can do much for each other. Hurray for self-help sites such as AZ. Hurray for continued success of our goals.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: