Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My hiv/aids fear returned!  (Read 197 times)

Offline simoliz03

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
My hiv/aids fear returned!
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:00:53 AM »
 Hi everyone.  I am getting scared again from my fear from I believe 4yrs ago.  I was a patient at the Western Psych upmc unit back then, and I'm thinking again what if I caught hiv/aids from  my blood drawn from a phlebotomist who collects blood for new patients!  I'm scared what if they were purposley sticking me with a dirty needle and maybe did that to others?  Like they/person was collecting used needles and were infecting people?  I remembered they had a bag that had a biohazard logo on it and a medical kit.  I got scared when a guy on the news was infecting people with hepatitus C using contaminated needles!  Am I overthinking this?  And a month after I got out of the hospital, I took a hiv DNA test. Was Negative.  But was skeptical of that because I had too send in the sample bood at another state thinking they got my blood mest up :(
 Would I have notice symptomes already maybe years ago?  The one guy who infected others did it because he had hepatitus.  The  phlebotomists walk around with their kits.  Please tell me I"m thinking too much of this.  Does anyone know what  phlebotomists do for procedures, epecially at a psych hospital?     
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My hiv/aids fear returned!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »
  Am I overthinking this?  And a month after I got out of the hospital, I took a hiv DNA test. Was Negative.  But was skeptical of that because I had too send in the sample bood at another state thinking they got my blood mest up :(

Now you KNOW this is an illogical and intrusive thought. What are the chances of this happening, do you have any evidence to back up this assertion, i.e reliable statistics on the number of blood samples that get messed up? Do you know the procedures they use to avoid this happening?

The tricks the mind plays to avoid believing a good news result from a blood test are pernicious. I recognise your what-if's from my own thoughts. Thoughts like 'what if it was just an anomalous result?' 'What if something I do or eat or take masked the bad result?' 'What if they didn't do the most sensitive of tests?'.

These are all tricks. They have no evedential basis. Blood testing procedures are as watertight as humanly possible. I work in a heavily regulated industry that is based around keeping people safe. We make errors but we have procedures in place to make sure these are picked up on so that the errors do not pass to the customers. I would imagine blood testing services are the same, perhaps moreso.

If you had a test and it was negative then YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: