Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Change the "D" in GAD...  (Read 161 times)

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Change the "D" in GAD...
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:54:07 PM »
Like many of you here, my journey started out with panic attacks.  This was followed by 24/7 anxiety, and you can certainly add a touch of depression for all that I have been through.  And this is not my first trek down this path.  I have worked in the healthcare field for some 37 years, and I can tell you that the medical field is doing us an injustice.  Ever heard the term, "mentally ill"?  A very old term that should have never been coined.  None of us are mentally ill.  We all have a physical disease, a chemical imbalance, and that does not make us any less a person.  Some diabetics can improve their condition with life style changes, and others need daily medication.  We on this site are no different.  I do not suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  A disorder is when a crowd  gets out of hand.  Change that "D" in GAD to disease.  During the short time I have been on Anxiety-Zone, I have come across nothing less than wonderful, caring people.  People that are looking for answers, and people that are there to support them.  We share our experience, hope, and strength with each other.  To each and everyone of you, I am beyond grateful...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Change the "D" in GAD...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »
Chuck, that was a wonderful post! I agree those labels only add to the stigma.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: