Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of sudden cardiac arrest plagues my life  (Read 1178 times)

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Fear of sudden cardiac arrest plagues my life
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »
These heart fears just don't ever seem to end. I am so hyper vigilant of my chest and heart that literally everything sets me off. Sudden cardiac arrest plagues my life and I feel at any moment it could happen. After reading, which I shouldn't , SCD is the most common natural cause of death. That sets me off !! I have had tests, tried anxiety medication, therapy and still can not get over this. I don't know how to not let it consume my life, ugg!

Anyone else in the same boat?
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline Floridagal10

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of sudden cardiac arrest plagues my life
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
I recently started having this fear.  I am not really sure what brought it on, but I fear it as well.  Every time my chest hurts, or I get a weird twinge in my arm, I worry that it is a sign that something dramatic is going to happen. 

I have not really found a way to get over this fear, but I am trying to just work through the panic and tell my brain/body that it is really just anxiety and nothing more.

Bookmark and Share

Offline nate1028

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »
I am in the same boat.  Right there with you!  This has been something that has really bothered me over the past year. Just know you are not alone! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Copgrl8

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
I am in the same situation.   Nothing scares me more than having a heart attack. 
Every single pain or ache I feel no matter which part of my body ... I think uh no!!! It's a heart attack.
I been trying to work through it and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
I live every day in fear.   I wish I could help you, just know there are others out there that know what your going through.
Hang in there Hun.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:23:22 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm sorry we have to deal with this. I wish I knew how to get over it.
Bookmark and Share

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline anxious_brit

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
Do any of you who are dealing with heart related fears also dealing with high pulse rates. It seems when this fear crops up, anxiety and panic take off, and my heart rate goes up making the worrying worse.
Bookmark and Share

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline ked608

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »
I am new to this site! I searched this particular topic because I, too, have a TERRIBLE fear of heart issues. Heart disease runs in my family and has taken many loved ones' lives much too early. When I read about sudden cardiac death, I nearly fainted from the thought of it!  :sprachlos020: I have had an EKG and a stress test done with only "heart palpitations" to be found which my doctor reassured me is nothing to worry about. Like many of you, every single time my heart hurts now, I instantly panic. Let it be known that cardiac death is not common amongst the young. Yes, the media always share the stories of high school athletes who have passed from it. Many of those athletes had underlying SERIOUS heart conditions. So, if you're  relatively health young adult who has had testing of any kind for your heart, rest assured you will be fine. I, too, still struggle with this, but when I do start to panic, I tell myself that I HAVE HAD some testing and that a problem WOULD HAVE been found. Immediately after these kinds of thoughts, I make sure to go outside and stay productive, so that I am not dwelling on the heart issue worry. Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:44 PM »
As is usually the case, many people are dealing with and posting about the same things at the same time on this site.  I just posted a response on another similar thread, which you can find here:

www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,82585.msg465879.html
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Ted

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
I share the same fear of sudden cardiac arrest or disappearing without warning. While it is a pretty low incidence event, and the odds of surviving pretty bad (10%), it happened to me last November. I felt no pain or sign or symptom. I just dropped dead and stayed that way for about 7 to 12 minutes. I was fortunate o survive -- CPR was performed quickly, intravenous started soon after and an AED applied. I was put into a drug induced coma and my body temperature lowered for two days. I had heart surgery and was released 8 days after my sudden cardiac arrest.

I sometimes wonder if I'll awake the next morning or return from a run outside.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:04:19 AM »
Ted if you don't mind me asking how old are you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ted

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
I am 60 years old, have run 26 marathons and many shorter distance races, have normal blood pressure, low LDL levels, don't smoke, low BMI, low body fat, and no apparent medical risks for heart disease. Yet close to the end of the half marathon my heart suddenly stopped and I woke up in a hospital two days later. I think my fear of disappearing will slowly diminish as I gain confidence (or proof) that it won't happen again. Oddly, the longer I live, the less I will worry about dying suddenly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
wow this is really scarey to read when we have a fear of this happening. I am tired of worrying about this and I am older I am 59 soon to be 60. but what can we do about this will worrying stop it. I would love to just accept that we don't know when we are going to die and let it be. I feel this is a control issue and a form of OCD but what ever we need to stop it. we could have a car wreck today we could fall and break a leg. how can we control this. I am so tired of it and I think the worrying about it is not good. you can't prevent this from happening if you stayed in a drs office all day long would it stop it? we need to accept we are not put here to live forever and just live our lives to the best of our ability and that is all we can do. I am going to put my faith in God and believe he will take care of me and if I die I will go to live with him in a better place. I hope we all can find peace I don't want to offend anyone this is mostly a vent and to myself. don't take this personally.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
Ted what kind of surgery did they do? I am glad you are okay. I think we have a time to die and it wasn't yours. I wish we all could lose our fear of dying that is what it is. Do you think the running caused it that is weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »
We all have the inability to accept uncertainty, as uncertainly can be like the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head.
By the way, Ted, welcome to anxietyzone and I am glad you found this forum and I am very glad that you survived and are
among the living.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Ted

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
Running likely contributed more to my survival than to my heart stopping. If it hadn't been the race that did it, it would have been shovelling snow or climbing stairs. And sanctioned running races have medical teams, which were located very near where I dropped.

I realize my fear is irrational. Had the circumstances been slightly different - had I been running alone, training for the race, for example - I would have suddenly, and totally unaware, died. It's only that I survived that I can look back and feel anxious about what might have happened. So if it does ever happen, I won't know it. So why be anxious? I don't know.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: