Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of sudden cardiac arrest plagues my life  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Ted

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of sudden cardiac arrest plagues my life
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
I am 60 years old, have run 26 marathons and many shorter distance races, have normal blood pressure, low LDL levels, don't smoke, low BMI, low body fat, and no apparent medical risks for heart disease. Yet close to the end of the half marathon my heart suddenly stopped and I woke up in a hospital two days later. I think my fear of disappearing will slowly diminish as I gain confidence (or proof) that it won't happen again. Oddly, the longer I live, the less I will worry about dying suddenly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
wow this is really scarey to read when we have a fear of this happening. I am tired of worrying about this and I am older I am 59 soon to be 60. but what can we do about this will worrying stop it. I would love to just accept that we don't know when we are going to die and let it be. I feel this is a control issue and a form of OCD but what ever we need to stop it. we could have a car wreck today we could fall and break a leg. how can we control this. I am so tired of it and I think the worrying about it is not good. you can't prevent this from happening if you stayed in a drs office all day long would it stop it? we need to accept we are not put here to live forever and just live our lives to the best of our ability and that is all we can do. I am going to put my faith in God and believe he will take care of me and if I die I will go to live with him in a better place. I hope we all can find peace I don't want to offend anyone this is mostly a vent and to myself. don't take this personally.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
Ted what kind of surgery did they do? I am glad you are okay. I think we have a time to die and it wasn't yours. I wish we all could lose our fear of dying that is what it is. Do you think the running caused it that is weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 79
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »
We all have the inability to accept uncertainty, as uncertainly can be like the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head.
By the way, Ted, welcome to anxietyzone and I am glad you found this forum and I am very glad that you survived and are
among the living.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Ted

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
Running likely contributed more to my survival than to my heart stopping. If it hadn't been the race that did it, it would have been shovelling snow or climbing stairs. And sanctioned running races have medical teams, which were located very near where I dropped.

I realize my fear is irrational. Had the circumstances been slightly different - had I been running alone, training for the race, for example - I would have suddenly, and totally unaware, died. It's only that I survived that I can look back and feel anxious about what might have happened. So if it does ever happen, I won't know it. So why be anxious? I don't know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilJenny45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
Ted, what type of surgery did you have? Was it an issue of undiagnosed heart disease or was it an electrical/heart rhythm issue?
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:52 AM »
Studies show that while running is good for your heart, too much of it actually raises your odds of having a heart attack so before everyone freaks out that a marathon runner had a heart issues keep in mind that there are tons of things which need to be looked at for every individual before you can know the causes
Bookmark and Share

Offline darkerqt1

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
First I would like to start by saying I am glad you are ok and everything worked out. But really what I wanted to address is the fact that although we all know heart issues are and always will be a real deal thing that most people who have gotten the ok by a doctor will not and should not be worried about it. If I could only tell you how many times I ALMOST had a heart attack. I have never had one and many visits to the ER always had proven me wrong. I just now while writing this had a real bad pain in my chest and left arm was hurting a bit and slightly numb. I waited and after a few minutes it passed and now no pain and all is well again. I go through these VERY real pains daily. and I am giving it all up to anxiety related issues. had an EKG chest Xray and blood work done two weeks ago and was told I was AOK got a script for vistaril for anxiety and was sent home. Have had these same problems all day every day since. So for one I had a clean bill of health and pretty sure if it was something serous something would have happened by now. So not every pain is a bad pain. sometimes its just good old growing pains. that just happen to be around your chest and make you think you have a fatal heart condition lol. Stay strong each of you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: