Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Feels like my heart stops beating  (Read 377 times)

Offline Sunnydays4

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feels like my heart stops beating
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
I've had this issue a few times where it literally feels like my hearts stops.  Not a skipped beat like a palpitation but a sensation that nothing is happening...and then I start to feel like I'm passing out.  It lasts a few seconds and I've never passed out but the feeling just terrifies me.  I've had a few Holter monitors and they didn't catch much other than a racing beat as well as an ECG & a few EKG's that were normal as well.  Any ideas what this awful feeling could be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Michael-Eden

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feels like my heart stops beating
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Hey sunny,
I experience this quite often these days. I haven't had the full run of tests yet, just blood work and four ekgs in the last two months.  But that stated the doctors don't seem to think any things wrong with my heart.
I'm beginning to think it has something to do with me usually being hyperawhare of my heart . I think the stopping feeling might be that your either focusing really hard and looking for abnormalities or that you have actually not thought about it got a while and panic when you suddenly do ( what I do ) if getting more tests done will give you comfort I would say go for it, but I bet it's just anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
"what matters most is
how well you
walk in the
fire."
Charles Bukowski

Offline tahowell2

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »
More than likely PVC's, aka palpitations. Everybody gets them from time to time but anxious people get them more and feel them more often as well. My heart "pauses" at times as well. Those don't really bother me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:32 AM »
Yes, these are premature contractions. I get them as well. I was initially convinced that my heart was indeed pausing, but having checked ECGs taken whilst I was experiencing them, they're simply premature contractions that are much softer than the normal beats.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunnydays4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
The logical part of my brain tells me that they are PVC's but the worrier in me thinks I'm going to drop dead.  Have either of you felt like you were passing out when you have them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
No, never. They do make me feel slightly queasy, though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tahowell2

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
I don't think I'm going to pass out but sometimes I can get a little dizzy from the anxiety but I don't attribute it to the palps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
First, your heart does not beat at a steady pace. It changes from moment to moment based on demand. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Real-time_MRI_-_Thorax.ogv a real time MRI of a heart beating. You can see what I mean real well in that!

The second thing is the "Stopped Clock Illusion" making it worse. This is an illusion where observing something, like a ticking second hand on a clock, will make you think there was a longer amoutn of time between when you started paying attention before the first tick, than there is between any ticks that happen after.

You can do it with your pulse too. But its really just an illusion created by the way your brain handles the passage of time - specifically, you cant observe a change until a change happens. That probably sounded weird. Its like how we cant feel the earth is spinning at 1,500 kilometers an hour, but you'd definitely notice it if it changed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ioerror001

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »
The proviousreply is most likely what's going on.  But I will say this. .I started Advair and Nexium same time a couple years back.  Went to the doc a week or two after. ...I had a 2-3 second pause in my pulse.  No symptoms. ... heck I didn't even know it till the nurse pointed it out. Stressed for weeks. ...pvcs for months. Quit taking both supplemented some mag. .. no issues now.  It's not always just in your head. .. just be sure you have an issue before you stress yourself out.  The previous post is most likely your issue though.   I just wanted the whole I was skipping beats and I'm still breathing reply for you. Hope it helps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: