Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What more - now my husband has MRSA - PLEASE HELP :(  (Read 243 times)

Offline megant19

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
What more - now my husband has MRSA - PLEASE HELP :(
« on: December 05, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
So after trying to deal with this stupid lung cancer anxiety that I've been having, and failing miserably...... a new and very real scare has manifested itself in my house. My husband has had a large cyst looking lump, draining on his neck for the last couple weeks. He thought at first it was just a big pimple, as he has had them in the past as an adolescent, but this was not going away. I finally convinced him to see our Dr. yesterday, and they swabbed his nose on the off chance it was MRSA. He got his results today, and sure enough it was positive. So, I know absolutely nothing about this, but from the little I understand, this means he will have it forever and my son and I are always at risk of contracting it? Is that correct? I am so terrified, I've read it can get into your lungs or bloodstream and kill you.

The dr. didn't seem too concerned, just said he needed to be on different antibiotics and gave him 10 days worth to take and that's it. Told him to keep the sore covered and to wash his hands a lot and not share towels. They then casually mentioned that it can be spread by coughing and sneezing?!?!?!?! All 3 of us have been battling a cold for the past few weeks as it is, could this be MRSA going to my lungs???? Is this as scary as it seems right now? Anyone out there had experience with this? Thanks in advance, I am freaking the you know what out right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline megant19

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: What more - now my husband has MRSA - PLEASE HELP :(
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:51 AM »
Nobody?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:15 AM »
My grandfather had MRSA and some clients here at the place I work too, so I know a little bit about it. People usually get infected in hospitals and similar settings. From what I understand, treatmet is unneccessary if the person has no symptoms. Since your husband has them he was put on an antibiotic.
We were told that it should not spread by air but with touch. Healthy people are generally at no risk of contracting it and can live with people with MRSA with no problems. Good hygiene is important though, like hand hygiene.

Try not to stress about it too much, it's not a catastrophy  :winking0008:. Hope your husband is well soon, take care!
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
I had MRSA, back in August. I had a full excision of a severely atypical mole on my thigh. Just short of two weeks, the stitches were digging into the healing skin, and the area became infected. I had it swabbed by the dermatologist immediately upon noticing. It came back MRSA, and yes, I freaked out. I was given the topical antibiotic called Mupirocin or Bactroban. I also was given an oral antibiotic. It cleared up, literally, in about two days.

The biggest factor, from my research on it, and the dermatologist's input, was to differentiate between the type of MRSA I had, community acquired, versus hospital acquired MRSA. Hospital acquired MRSA is the worse case. Some people do carry MRSA, and live with it as a chronic condition, which comes and goes.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline stefv86

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
Hey, try not to worry too much! My brother had it about 2 years ago on his rear end.  :P The doctor at the ER told us its only spread by contact, it's not airborne. He was on 2 antibiotics for 10 days and it cleared up. He's been fine since.
You and your family will be ok, too, I'm sure. :).
Bookmark and Share

Tags: