Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Constipation, weird feelings, need some support here  (Read 297 times)

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constipation, weird feelings, need some support here
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
I think this is the only place where I can talk about this in a "this is so normal to talk about"-way.  :angel-smiley-006:
So here we go;
Since I was little, stress has always caused problems with my belly. Most of the times just some pain. But like some people get head aches because they stress, I get belly aches.
Last year, around the anniversary of my beloved horses dead, I started to bloat. I experienced some pressure and pain, and didn't really understand why. I had no problems going to the toilet. So I never ever thought it could be constipation.
My doctor prescribed me some pills that had to relax the muscles around my colon. They didn't work, so he ordered an x-ray of my abdomen and blood works. My blood was absolutely perfect, but my x-ray showed heavy constipation. He prescribed me molaxole (an European brand of osmotic laxatives). I had to take it three times a day. Within a few weeks, my problems were completely gone.
Two months ago, the whole thing started again. But this time, with a weird feeling on the right of my belly button (below the ribs). It was like there was a ball or a fist inside my abdomen, pushing my belly from inside out. When I didn't touch my belly, it would really feel like there was a huge "object" inside. But looking down I didn't see the difference between the left and the right side of my abdomen, and when I try to feel if something is "hiding" inside, I don't feel anything weird.
So I made an appointment with the other doctor in the practice, because the first one just didn't explain anything he did or prescribed.
This doctor was very helpful. Totally understanding about my anxiety. He examined my belly and told me everything felt perfectly normal, and that it was not at all a problem to wait for a week or two to see if it would go away.
Well, it didn't. So I went back to him. He told me he was sure it was stress related, explained about why I wasn't a good candidate for colon cancer ;) and told me he liked to order an x-ray and blood works so I would be able to relax. This was 4 weeks ago. I went to the hospital immediately for the x-ray and blood works (where on this planet can you visit a doctor and get your blood drawn and x-ray taken within 2 hours, love it) and 2 days later my doc called me to confirm that I was indeed constipated and that my blood was perfect again. He told me to take up to 4 glasses of molaxole a day until the pressure was off and then slowly lower the dose. I asked him if I had anything to worry about and he told me; "no, on the contrary!"
So within a day, the pressure almost completely disappeared and I started to feel better. The anxiety finally gone.
But now, 3 weeks later, I feel that pressure again. I almost completely stopped taking the molaxole last week. Going back to one dose every two days, but I'm having trouble accepting that I might be constipated again because I lowered the dose too soon.
I hate this weird feeling. When I wake up at night and in the morning it isn't there, at all, but within ten minutes after waking up I start feeling it again, making me believe that my mind and body are playing anxiety tricks on me again.
Cancer is very rare in our family and I really can't name anyone that had colon cancer. Liver problems are also extremely rare (and that's almost funny, because my family members looooove their drinks, and I never drink alcohol). So why the heck am I still worrying?
Anyone here who experienced that same feeling? Any idea what it is? My realistic side thinks the muscles around my colon are really overworked and sore. Grumbl. Stupid anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constipation, weird feelings, need some support here
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:58 AM »
No one? :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »
I think you know the answer here Daphne :)!

Honestly, this would not have gone away and then come back if it was anything serious at all. It is particularly telling that it has done this in response to you lowering and stopping the drugs and even more telling that you wake up and it isn't there.

A few weeks ago I convinced myself I had itchy skin (for reasons I am sure you understand). Itched all through the day but not when I woke up. It was only when I realised I wasnt itching that it started again. Totally psychosomatic. That this is a digestive issue, given what we know it does to this department, I think you have absolutely no cause to worry whatsoever.

It is trying to find gaps in your doctor's certainty...dont let it like I did this week!
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »
Also, why are ytou implicating the liver here?! I am pretty sure the only thing liver problems do to your guts is give you the opposite problem to yours and discolour stools. Nothing sounds like liver issues here trust me on this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:21 AM »
Anxiety, etc. can cause all sorts of problems in any parts of the body, head, neck, shoulders, heart, lungs, spine, digestion, etc. Anywhere. You may want to find some high fiber vegetables that can help such as sweet potato, spinach, beets, string beans, etc. A little experimentation. Plenty of water too. There is a product out there that will regulate you and you'll feel so good.

And then the task of evicting anxiety, depression, etc. For me it is CBT, exercise, journaling, meditation. Replace the monsters with optimism and hope and love for self. Can be done with patience and determination. The physical symptoms disappear. Truly, it can be done, we're here to try and help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Thank you so much for your responses. I know what is wrong, but like everyone here, I sometimes need some reassurance. I already had to fight a lot of battles (and I won a few!) but fighting makes you tired and that's when these kinds of problems kick in. I'm so glad I already got rid of the colon cancer fear.
I implicated the liver because the liver is located just above the spot where this "ball" is located, and gall blather problems can give some problems in that area. But you're right, there's nothing else that points to the liver.
I'm already into the high fiber food. And I drink at least 2 liters of green tea a day, most of the time 3. I need to start running again, but I have bad knees and with all the mud around here the are irritated right now. Maybe I need to find another way to exercise? Thanks guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
My knees feel terrible too right now. Swimming is kind on your joints, makes you feel great and can be done inside!

Hope I haven't given you liver worries by proxy btw. I have a feeling HA can be contagious sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
Not at all! I'm not "picking up" other peoples scares. Swimming would be nice. Maybe I can lose some kilo's along the way. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
We all need reassurance and fighting the brain invaders is tiring, to be sure.

Exercise is key (along with meditation for me). Swimming is excellent though for me it's a bunch of other activities. This place looks like a mini gym. Fall for infomercials. Lately saw another one on "liquidity" like a barre used in ballet. Have been told nothing else can come in here. We'll see, ha ha.

We can explore all manner of exercise. Can be very pleasantly distracting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »
Can you tell me more about meditation? How do you meditate?
I hate myself for worrying like this. I don't wanna run to the doctor again, being the hysterical girl.
I'm freaking tired and annoyed by myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
How do I tell you and not be overwhelming? That is actually what happened to me when my daughter first gave me a book about it. "I can't do this," I thought. So when she visited she sat us down in chairs, we closed our eyes and sat together quietly focussing on breathing in slowly and out slowly. The goal is to keep the brain clear of thoughts, but the brain will invariably drift off. Gently bring it back to breathing. There can be a mantra or just counting breath in and out. For example, 4 in, 5 out. Or say to yourself "peace" breathing in, "calm" breathing out, again, just an example. Sit for a few minutes for starters and gradually increase.

Have been told there are "apps" for meditation, there are books, there is guided meditation on CD's, you can check it out on YouTube. Go slow, approach it with patience and optimism. It is your special time to be with yourself. The benefits accrue over time. You will enjoy exploring it and learning about it. Am here to help anyway I can. We once had a long thread on it and I could probably dig it up, but it may just be too much for starters.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
Im already familiar with some breathing techniques. Did some yoga and stuff.  :laugh3: Dont be afraid to overwhelm me. Im very curious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
Popped up the meditation thread for you in GAD category. Am still afraid it may overwhelm you, but, of course, just read what interests you.

We can also talk yoga. I practice it every day, still go to classes twice a week. Have been at it many years, never tire of it. Can't praise it enough. Ask any questions and we'll find the answers to get you healthy for all time. How do you like that?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: