Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Flex sig made anxiety worse  (Read 335 times)

Offline Jbg28

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Flex sig made anxiety worse
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
Had a flex sig yesterday   Didn't make me feel any better. Knowing I don't have rectal cancer or a tumor in my sigmoid did. But they found a tiny polyp and now want to do the entire colonoscopy. I'm 28. Why do I have a polyp. Is this too young. What If the Colon cancer I fear is up higher on the left or on the traverse Colon where all my gurgling comes from. I wanted to put this behind me but now I feel worse. They told me to quit coffee and soft drinks. And add fiber. Can this really be causing the left side ache and the disgusting noises from my bowel. As I lay here and type this it just made a sloshing sound :( iiwanted to enjoy Christmas worry free now I have to wait for colonoscopy appointment and worry about this one tiny polyp at such a young age. Why is my wad telling me I have cancer ????????? I am so frustrated. I should of been put in for a full scope of my bowels in the first place :(.
Bookmark and Share

Online leah2013

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Flex sig made anxiety worse
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
Sorry you are going thru this. My SIL had a couple of polyps removed in her early 30s. They were benign. They usually are. I am thinking of you and please keep us posted!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jbg28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
This one is tiny and benign they said but it's the what if there are more. And one is cancerous or already is. I had the stool tests. Blood work. And ultrasound all normal why the aches and horrible noises from Morning to night. I'm terrified it's a tumor while everything is trying to get past it :( ugh I'm so frustrated. I thought yesterday would have made me feel better
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
It really sounds like a classic case of IBS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jbg28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
I know they told me I have IBS. I'm just still worried because I have to do more tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »
Yeah, I know. Most people with IBS had all the tests they could come up with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
I was 22 and had a 4 cm polyp.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jbg28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
Wow. And you are here and fine :). I posted another thread earlier which turned into 2 people talking about Colon cancer being missed and it made my anxiety hit the roof.  Nothing bad to these people. I feel sorry for those going through t his disease. But the harsh reality is its not what I needed to hear after the test. Now I have to get a colonoscopy to rule out everything else. I am passing nice sized bowel movements. Just feeling like there is more. Also the noises. Omg. They are hideous. And came out of nowhere 6 months ago. I truly want to quit smoking and try to resolve all these anxiety issues.... I'm praying everyday my colonoscopy goes well. It's hard living each day in fear :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
I wouldn't quit smoking just yet. If it can take the stress away for a while, I suggest you wait until you feel more stable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »
Here and fine. My grandmother had colon cancer which is why i had to get the colonoscopy plus the bleeding every dayI have had a colonoscopy, head and neck mri, chest ct. Haha had it all. And three echo's of my heart. My biggest fear is lymphoma. I have a small pea sized lump at the base of my neck . Completely movable and has been the for about nine months. The doctor said he is only concerned and getting a biopsy if it gets bigger.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
I always get the unconscious "what if…" thoughts in my head. I know it is hard to stop them. Even when I have no symptoms, now and then throughout the day, each day, that voice goes "what if…" and I usually stop concentrating on the environment and lose track of what's going on.

I also always google about random cancers - even when I don't have any symptoms that are worrying me. I know I shouldn't. But I always check the stats - I actually use the statistics to try and reinsure myself that I am fine. It works sometimes… but then I start to tick of the risk factors I have and start becoming anxious.

The important thing to realise is this: during the time we spend concentrating on "what if…" and checking out all the risk factors, we are essentially wasting our time worrying about what could be, for the most part, nothing serious. This is easier said of course - being guilty myself, I have no room to talk. But of course, we should start to focus on the positive things. Every time you think of a negative "what if…", follow the thought up with a positive "what if…". So if you worry about it being cancer, think to yourself "what if it is nothing serious". Maybe this will help.

It sometimes helps me. And remember you are young. And also if I was you, I would stop the smoking. I have been cessated for a little over a year and I still get anxious about getting cancers because of the damage I have done due to smoking. I probably may never get over the anxious thoughts due to the smoking. And so this actually helps me in working towards a better lifestyle. Because of my anxiety, I not only never want to touch a cigarette ever again, but I always try to avoid second hand smoke also. So in a way, you could use the fact that you have these polyps as a motivation source for improving your lifestyle.

If you concentrate on improving your lifestyle, whether that be diet, quitting smoking and drinking alcohol, starting regular exercises, etc., not only will your anxiety decrease due to the fact that you are decreasing your risk, but your anxiety will reduce due to the fact that you will be keeping your mind active on other things.

I often enjoy learning about stuff - and I learn by reading and watching lectures. During my periods of learning, my anxiety levels are really low and I just forget about my worries. So do something you enjoy. I know that anxiety can often make you not enjoy stuff - but if there is something you enjoy, go out (or stay in if it is an indoor activity) and do it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: