Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: can doing everything but meds be a losing battle?  (Read 210 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
can doing everything but meds be a losing battle?
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
Well, within the past month I feel as though I am falling back into depression again. Going through my Mom's things (she passed away Aug. 2012) and doing some major cleaning at my parents house was the thing that I think played a part in slipping back into depression. After she passed away I grieved, but got through it faster than I thought I would. I have had a few moments of deep despair over missing her so much, but I try not to let myself stay that way too long. But this time I can't seem to 'snap' (I know that's a bad term) out of it. I feel like I am not myself, I don't feel my personality is the person I know. In my best days I am happy, friendly, confident, creative, positive, outgoing, hard working. Right now I feel the total opposite. And I'm guessing the winter weather isn't helping much.

So, I read something interesting yesterday (sorry, I don't know the exact source) but it said, "some people's brains simply do not have the capacity to recover from the biological effects of stress and crisis". I have to wonder due to my genetic predisposition of having depression (many people on my mother's side) if 'sucking it up' is simply going to be a losing battle, and am I harming myself rather than helping myself by not taking meds. I know from past experience with SSRI's (Celexa) that I responded very well while on it--extremely well. So, I have to wonder if I am one of those who have an actual biological characteristic of someone who's brain, and the way it functions is the reason I can't 'snap out of it' despite my greatest efforts.

I hope there comes a day where mental health professionals can test people and determine these biological factors, to also determine the exact treatment plan custom designed for them. That would be ideal :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
Re: can doing everything but meds be a losing battle?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »
That's a hard question to answer because everyone is different. I think the loss of your mom is a huge life event that takes a lot of time and setbacks to truly feel better. Also when it comes to anxiety or depression, setbacks are just a normal part of dealing with those disorders. The loss of a loved one is a major trigger for a setback and it can take a lot of time to come back from dealing with that pain.

As far as meds go, that is really a personal choice for each person. For me, I went through years of therapy before deciding on meds. Others really need the relief immediately while they do therapy at the same time. There's no wrong way. Talk to your doctor and let them know how you honestly feel.

I do think some people NEED the meds. I know for myself, I do. Therapy just hasn't been enough for me. I would definitely talk to you doctor and see what she/he thinks and if this is something that'll benefit you or not.

Sorry about your loss and I hope you find the best course of treatment for yourself.
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
I guess that unless you have an identical twin, we are all unique, biological beings.  And even with an identical twin, life situations will be different.  I'm sorry about the loss of your mom, and I can certainly understand your depression being triggered by your loss, as well as you going through her personal belongings.  I lost my mom almost ten years ago, and when I think of it, it's like it just happened yesterday.  For me, I would like a certain quality of life, if at all possible.  It's nice when we have more than one option to improve that quality, and I believe in trying them all.  If taking a pill is what gives me that quality, I say go for it.  And don't think of it as, "I will have to take this pill for the rest of my life".  That is like a recovering alcoholic telling themselves they can never have another drink, the rest of their life.  All I have is today, and all I have to do is take this pill for today.  And speaking of pills, I was started on a new one just a few weeks ago.  The side effects have been no fun, at all.  But this pill gives me hope that I can get back a certain quality of life.  As always, taking medication is an individual choice.  But as I have seen Ian say many times, these meds have helped 100's of millions of people.  I hope to continue to be one of them...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
I love that I have the choice to take meds. Not everyone has that privilege. But on the other side, I'm not sure if I couldn't make it without them. I know that I rather live happy with meds and die when I'm 70 then to live constantly fighting and die when I'm 85. But like MobileChucko said; it's an individual choice. And I can only have respect for people fighting this without chemicals in their system.
But there's one thing I want to say about this; never, ever, think you are a failure in any way because you take meds. Some people feel like they surrender to their disease if they start taking meds. I really think that taking meds is a way of taking care of yourself, and should never be a reason to feel bad about yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your responses :) I spoke to my sister about what I'm going through (she's an RN) and she thinks I should just stick it out for awhile. She thinks that the winter doldrums have got me in a funk and that I will eventually come out of it. Her advice was, as long as I am able to function---get out of bed, take care of responsibilities and hygiene, that I can manage without meds. She is also feeling the same way--depressed; she said she has absolutely no Christmas spirit this year, unlike years previous. She also is much less social than she was in her twenties, almost like she has no desire to be around anyone anymore. I know it's not a fun thing to have in common, but I guess we are lucky to be able to commiserate with each other.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: