Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: After a panic attack, how quickly do you 'recover'?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline nobody

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
Re: After a panic attack, how quickly do you 'recover'?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
I recently had one that lasted for a couple of weeks, started out with an innocent sneeze, that I accidentally suppressed & it came out a bit stronger than I expected it to, a rush of anxiety & stress came over me, had a terrible panic attack that lasted about 4 hours, until I finally managed to get home & slowly fall asleep with my heart still pounding & chest hurting, then, every day after that for 2 weeks, whenever I went out anywhere, be it school, or just a walk in the park, I'd have insufferable panic attack for the entirety of the time I spent outside of my own room. 2 weeks passed, I gave up, just decided to stay at home, it got a bit worse at first. first 2 weeks were just sleepless, palpitations all over the place, stiff neck, feeling that my heart is pounding so hard I actually was convinced some of my veins (especially in neck & head) are gonna pop from pressure any time soon. I recovered fully (as fully as you can recover from these things) around christmas & have been stable so far, I'm still learning to suppress the fear & stress I feel whenever I feel a sensation that I'm not familiar with or that reminds me of my panic attacks & thankfully I've been successful so far.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dreamspirit

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
After I have a panic/anxiety attack, The left over symptoms can last for 2-3 months for me and that's when my agoraphobia comes into play. I won't go anywhere at all. I will feel so ill.. Can't eat and become paralyzed on the couch. I hate it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 1thingeveryday

• Rec's: 2
  • Holy crap... the Bene Gesserit were right
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
My panic attacks usually only last a few seconds, but if I get a lot of them in sequence, I can be anxious for days afterward. That's perfectly normal.

If you think you're having panic attacks, I really recommend that you find a counselor who can work with you. They can decide if you need to be on meds or not -- but remember, there is no "quick fix"! Panic attacks frequently happen because we've been stressed beyond our ability to cope, and just taking a pill won't magically make everything better by itself (even though the pharma companies would like you to think otherwise!) If there's a big stressor in your life, a counselor can help you learn coping techniques to deal with that stress, or even help you find ways to avoid that stressor altogether.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
Do one thing every day that scares you.
                                          -Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
I am usually completely exhausted after a panic attack and it takes everything not to fall asleep. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: