Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Constant anxiety state?  (Read 333 times)

Offline Nikki88

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constant anxiety state?
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
I need some advice.  Lately I feel like I am in almost a constant anxiety state.  I never feel well and it's so upsetting.  My husband, my parents, my friends have all asked me at one time or another "do you ever feel well?"  all because I complain so much and there is always something wrong with me.  I just don't know what to do.  I am on meds but I just feel like it's not doing a darn thing.  I take 75 mgs of zoloft right now.  I don't know if that's just not enough or what.  I want to get better.  I want to stop being so hyper aware of my body!!  Every little twinge or odd feeling sends me down the anxiety road and it takes me hours to recover.  I mean the actual panic attacks are short....but I have the constant pounding heart, high strung, can't breathe feeling.

What gets me is when I get the pounding heart and chest pain I also get jaw pain and left shoulder/arm pain.  Than I feel like I can't breathe.  How could all of these symptoms really be anxiety?  I feel like it's all warning signs of a heart problem and one of these days I'm just going to drop :(

Can anyone suggest books, websites, anything that might be able to significantly help my hypochondria, obsessive thoughts and panic?  I can't do therapy right now due to finances and when I was in therapy for who knows how many years it never did anything for me.

Thank you
Nikki
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant anxiety state?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
Hi Nikki......so sorry you are struggling so much with this!!  It seems to me that if you are having daily anxiety, then the Zoloft isn't doing a good enough job for you.  I would suggest you talk to your doctor and see if you can increase your dose or change meds.

I think the reason you feel you get left arm pain and jaw pain when your heart is pounding is because it's a heart attack that's on your mind at the time this occurs and you are willing yourself, so to speak, to feel these things in your body.  I used to do the same darn thing and it's awful!!  I'm sure you've had a good checkup and everything checked out alright, right??

One book I would suggest is the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook.  You actually participate, not just read this book....it has questions you answers and such and helps you determine your best course of action and gives a lot of insight and helpful hints to get through some of this.

Let me know how you do!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
Trust me I know how you feel. I've been doing the same thing for 2 1/2 years. I've had every heart test except an angiogram with normal results. Its exhausting and horrible. You can most definitely have these symptoms all day, everyday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenniferio

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
I've had anxiety all my life.  I don't believe in taking meds.  I try natural things like running, yoga and meditation.  I have recently begun attempting Butyko breathing and its working wonders.  The book "Butyko breathing and anxiety" will arrive tomorrow and I can't wait.  Basically,  you learn to lengthen out that pause we all have betwen our inhalation and exhalation.

One thing I know and that is to control your anxiety you must get hold of your breathing.

I already do it to relax in order that I can sleep or go back to sleep and its been working wondefully well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nikki88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  I do want to get a handle on this.  These daily symptoms are always the same.  In my head I can sometimes rationalize that I feel dizzy, have chest/arm/jaw pain, and have a pounding heart every day....if something bad was going to happen it would have happened already.  But the paniced part of me just continues to freak out.  What stinks is that my good moments are REALLY great, but my bad moments are worse and they over take everything else.

I have worked on my breathing and it's so hard for me.  Every time I try I start to get light headed so I'm still doing something wrong :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: