Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Staying home  (Read 284 times)

Offline keicoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Staying home
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
I have for the past year noticed my staying home becoming a problem. I constantly make excuses and have abandoned most of my activities. I am concerned about not "snapping out of it". I just have no energy or motivation. Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Staying home
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
First of all, welcome to Anxiety Zone!  Great to have you here.

It's easy to slip into the staying home routine, so while you recognize that's what you are doing, it's time to take small steps to change it before it takes control of you.  I know you say you have no energy or motivation.....have you heard the saying "the less you do, the less you want to do"??  Start in the morning with getting up and simply walking to the end of the block and back, or even taking your first cup of morning coffee or tea and sipping on it outdoors.  I realize it's winter and I'm not sure where you are from, but if it's cold, bundle yourself up and get out there!  It's a great start to a new day!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline howifeel

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Guilt is not a feeling but a verdict.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
Good stuff anxiouskathie.

Keicoo thanks for your post.

If you are struggling with symptoms that point to depression, try to find opportunities to interact with others.
Look for free, or government sponsored Mental Health education events. More and more public health clinics offer depression education group sessions. It is normal to feel easily overwhelmed, making it seem like too much trouble to do much of anything. It is a horrible place to be (if that is where you are). However, the condition may need top priority. There is a recovery concept called, "Opposite to emotion Action" meaning that whatever you feel like doing, do the opposite.

Rarely do people snap out of it. For some, it is starting a new chapter in life coping with a lifelong mental illness. For others it is a gentle process of returning to the personality prior to the emotional crisis. Hopefully, you are not being overly hard on yourself for struggling. This is a time to be extra easy on yourself, and recover.
Bookmark and Share
I do things to feel better, I don't wait to feel better to do things.

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »
Oh yes, it is so easy to slip into the home zone where it all appears to be safe and cozy and easily turns into something else.

Insist on getting out and force it. Maybe a walk, trip to the supermarket, etc. For me it is our rec. centers for yoga, tai chi, meditation, the gym. The stimulation, however minor, is a big safety net. Wishing you all the best.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: