Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: zoloft and remeron together  (Read 370 times)

Offline ruth h

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
zoloft and remeron together
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
ihave now been on 100mg of zoloft and 15mg of remeron for a little over 2 months.  was feeling good but this week i have been really tired and it feels like the anxiety is tring to creap back in.  is this normal or do you think i need a change in dose. also i having periods of vertigo not alot maybe once or twice a week is this normal.

thanks
ruth
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: zoloft and remeron together
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
ihave now been on 100mg of zoloft and 15mg of remeron for a little over 2 months.  was feeling good but this week i have been really tired and it feels like the anxiety is tring to creap back in.  is this normal or do you think i need a change in dose. also i having periods of vertigo not alot maybe once or twice a week is this normal.

Do you take the Remeron at night to help you sleep, or for anxiety Ruth? It is possible that it has been helping keep anxiety at bay but is losing its effectiveness. Remeron is the antidepressant most likely to stop working, often after only a few months.

If anxiety returning then you may need to up the Zoloft dose to 150mg. Is there some reason why your anxiety could be increasing, are you under more stress at the moment?

also i having periods of vertigo not alot maybe once or twice a week is this normal.

The vertigo can be anxiety related so getting it back under control may diminish it. Have you had it before?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ruth h

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »
i am always under stress have my 4 year old grandson living with us for the past 3 months (he leaves next week to go to japan with his parents).  working retail in a major toy store at this time of year.   

i have gotten the verigo before but never like what i am getting now.

i take the remeron with the zoloft for anxiety doctor was going to take me off zolft and just put me on remeron but with the combo my anxiety went away within a couple of days, so he figured instead of playing with medicine again he said just to stay on both.

thanks
ruth
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »
i have gotten the verigo before but never like what i am getting now.

My guess is that effectively you're not medicated at the moment which would account for this symptom and its severity. That said, you probably should have it checked the next time you see your doctor as there may be another cause.

i take the remeron with the zoloft for anxiety doctor was going to take me off zolft and just put me on remeron but with the combo my anxiety went away within a couple of days

Okay, so the Zoloft wasn't working well enough even then. It is possible that upping the Remeron dose to 30-45mg will do the trick, but as per my previous post, it is the antidepressant (AD) most likely to poop-out. IMHO, switching to another SSRI would be a better option provided Zoloft has been the first you've tried. However, if you've not had success with other SSRIs too then a SNRI or tricyclic AD should be the next choice.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ruth h

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
thanks insight

i was on zoloft a couple of years ago then went on lexapro.  i stopped taking lexapro in april but in july the anxiety came back so went back on lexapro and he wasnt working anymore. so i went on zoloft was up to 150mgs wasnt feeling great so that is why doc wanted me to try remeron.  so i went down to 100mg of zoloft to start the taper with starting remeron at 15mg. but within the first week with this combo is was working wonders for me. 

talked to dr last night he wants me to up my zoloft to 150mg and stay at 15mg on remeron for the sleep part.(with zoloft i dont sleep good).

i am not in full blown attacks yet but i am taking 1-2 .5mg of atavan for the past couple of days and havent had one in the past two months (that is how i know something is not right).

thanks for the replies

ruth
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
i was on zoloft a couple of years ago then went on lexapro.  i stopped taking lexapro in april but in july the anxiety came back so went back on lexapro and he wasnt working anymore. so i went on zoloft was up to 150mgs wasnt feeling great so that is why doc wanted me to try remeron.

Supplementing SSRIs which have pooped-out with Buspar (buspirone) will sometimes get them working again. Something to consider if 150mg still doesn't cut it, or if you can't tolerate that dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline ruth h

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
do you take buspar with the other two meds or would i stop taking on of the meds and start on buspar?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
do you take buspar with the other two meds or would i stop taking on of the meds and start on buspar?

While Buspar is an anti anxiety med it isn't a particularly good one. It only works for GAD and even then it's hit and miss. However, when taken as a supplement to SSRIs it often reactivates those that are failing and may boost the effectiveness of hose falling a little short of 100% coverage. It would hopefully restore Zoloft for you, but I'd be wary about then still taking the Remeron. Taking 3 serotonergic meds at the same time can be risky.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline ruth h

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
thanks ian for the info

it is just so hard going through this was good for the past 2 months now it is coming back.  hopefully the increase will work (fingers crossed).

i am thinking with work, the grandson, and winter upon us i may have needed a boost.

again thank you ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: