Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Being referred to Neuro - what to expect (and MRI question)  (Read 327 times)

Offline HereIGoAgain

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Being referred to Neuro - what to expect (and MRI question)
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Hi All

Went to see my GP tonight as for just over a week I had tingling in the left hand side of my face around my left eye (it is away now), this is the third time I have had this in the space of 14 months (however this was the longest bout of it).  He is going to refer me to a neurologist for them to check me over.  He says its probably nothing but anxiety (which I what I think it most likely is) however he would like to refer me incase its something more "interesting" (as he put it).

Can anyone tell me what to expect at my first neuro appointment.

Also - if I am referred for an MRI (to check for MS), do you know if you need to wear that thing over your head to keep your head still (I got this a few years ago when they were checking my optic nerves and I have never been so claustrophobic in my life and I had to keep my eyes shut....it was awful) or if you can just go in "as you are" so to speak and can you keep your eyes open?......not sure if I am making sense. 

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
It's not about weathering the storm.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Being referred to Neuro - what to expect (and MRI question)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:50:47 PM »
I've been to the neurologist 3 times.  They usually just do some in office testing, like checking your balance and strength etc.. My neurologist also was able to perform a couple of muscle/nerve tests in the office - nothing too scary.

The MRI is no big deal really.  They don't put anything over your head, although you are in a tube.  You are given ear plugs for noise the machine makes.  If you are claustrophobic ask for an anti anxiety pill like Ativan to help you get through it.  But, I have to say I didn't find it all that stressful.

Best of luck with all of it and let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
What greend said.

Your Neuro will check you for balance issues, strength, weakness, sensitivity, check your eye movements, your vision, reflexes, dexterity, and possibly some more that I'm forgetting.

The MRI is not that bad - your head will go into a brace thing and you just have to endure some irritating noises (you get ear plugs) for a while.

Bookmark and Share

Offline HereIGoAgain

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:59:57 AM »
Thanks both for coming back to me.....I really appreciate it!

Last question though - are you allowed to keep your eyes open for the MRI?  The one I had before they had to be shut and thats what freaked me out (cause I'm a weirdo  :laugh3:)
Bookmark and Share
It's not about weathering the storm.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Yes, you can keep your eyes open. At least I was allowed to for my MRI but, I have so say I found it more relaxing closing my eyes.  Looking at the inside of a tube isn't my idea of a good time.

Best of luck!  Let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HereIGoAgain

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
So I had my neuro appointment yesterday.  He was really nice and made me feel very much at ease.  After asking me why I was there (tingling on face) he asked me some background questions, had a good look behind my eyes, some a few quick tests and told me that he is confident that I do not have MS :o)  He asked if I wanted an MRI but I said no, not if he thought I didn't need it (which was a major thing for me, even though my anxiety was screaming YES, I know that to help myself I need to stop getting tests that doctors don't think I need), he said that MS symptoms do not come and go throughout the day, they gradually build up, hang around for a while (typically a month) and then reside and he also said that the tend to "flit" around the body (so I wouldn't be getting the tingling in exactly the same place each time).  He believes I am getting silent migraine (migraine without the headache).

At the moment I feel pretty much ok, I know that at some point my subconscious will try and make me anxious about this again but I am going to try and ignore the doubt.  One of the questions I did ask him though was "does it matter if you have MS but its never diagnosed" and he said no, it didn't matter.  It cannot be cured only the symptoms treated (if required) so technically it doesn't matter if you know or not.  For some reason strange reason that makes me feel at ease.....

Thanks for your responses earlier.....really appreciated the support! :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: