Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Doc said I have a type of post traumatic stress...  (Read 293 times)

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doc said I have a type of post traumatic stress...
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »
I went to see my doctor about my ms fears last week. I told her that what really set me off was the sports masseuse I saw last year when I had DRASTIC tingles down one side of my body after overdoing the sport a little bit.

The sports masseuse had been very worried about the symptoms and wanted me to have an MRI which I didn't end up getting as my doctor didn't think it was necessary. She did a neuro and said there was no signs if anything dangerous including ms. I saw another doc when the tingles first happened who also wasnt too worried. And a couple of opthamologists last month for my high eye pressure. (THey were very thorough and were also unconcerned enough to not suggest further testing)

This is probably the fifth time I've seen her about this in the past 16 or so months since this fear began. And I asked her what she thought I should do as the fear of ms is completely entrenched in my mind.

I told her I was afraid to excersise incase the symptoms came back. And that even walking down the street etc I feel like I'm off balance/ the floor is moving and a part of my mind is always worried about or thinking about ms.

She said she thinks I have a mild version of Post traumatic stress brought about by the scary tingles and the sports masseuse. She said that if I can't find a way to kick it to the curb by the new year she thinks it would be a good idea for me to see a psychologist to help move my thoughts in the right direction.

She also said that I'm not crazy and that it makes sense to be afraid of exercise after how much the tingles affected me.  She said what she thinks happens is that when I stress/excersise Etc my muscles tense and trap nerves which causes numbness etc.  she thinks that the more I exercise and get used to the idea that I am ok. My confidence will grow and ill be ok again.

I still find it very very hard to believe that all of these symptoms aren't ms.

I am trying very hard to believe her - she's never been concerned enough when I've gone to her about this to run any further tests.

It's hard to live with though. I feel so helpless that I can't seem to forget about ms for even a day and that it's always at the back of my mind.

Any advice or words of wisdom?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doc said I have a type of post traumatic stress...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:03:01 AM »
It is a bit like someone feeding you a fear. Telling you they think you have something seriously wrong with you. You would react to it, if your mind was any way weak. In other words I think you thought something must have been up to begin with. But you were confused and didn't know what was wrong with you. Then you were fed this BS about needing an MRI. That idea stuck in your head. But anxiety can do so much to us. That floating like feeling = derealization. Been there for a few years. Not had it for years. It simply went away by itself. That is what can happen with a lot of anxiety symptoms. We replace them. With other, stronger symptoms. We forget about the first one and begin to think about the newer one. But think of all the tests you have had done. They would have seen something by now. Time to try and accept that. You have not got MS and you won't be getting MS any time soon. Try find something positive to read. Just as you were fed a negative thought about the MRI, you can try and put positive thoughts in your head too. It is just anxiety messing with your mind. None of us ever wanted to accept this at first. Once we do we can begin to move forward.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
Thanks cuchculan.

The masseuse really, really scared me. She did a neuro exam thing that I am pretty sure I passed but she still wanted me to get an MRI and called my doc. Who did her own in office neuro and told me the money for the test was better off in my pocket than theirs.

It was the first time I googled symptoms (and the last!) the masseuse asked if I was having certain problems. Which I wasn't, but looked up because I had no idea what could cause things like what she was asking.

Ms popped up and I saw how MANY of the symptoms matched what I had. Terrifying is a good word for the experience.

It's kind of helpful to have even a vague reason for why the thoughts are stuck. I've ordered a couple of books online to help me work through it. It's reassuring that my doctor thinks its a mild version of PTSD rather than ms though, even after all the visits to her office she's never found it necessary to send me for more tests.

Health anxiety really, really sucks :p

I want to be able to walk down the street and exercise without worrying about symptoms that might pop up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
I can relate so so so so much to this!!! You have no idea! I had a numb foot after months and months of very rigorous exercise. I was running half marathons, climbing strenuous mountain peaks every weekend in the west, and was doing this all with a small fracture on my right foot, making me limp. I just tried to take it easy for a week on my foot, and taking it easy meant golfing, and mountain biking, and rock climbing. By the end of the week I got numbness in my hands. and up into my face. All on right side. I went to instacare and was sent to the emergency room to check for stroke. I went to the E.R. still unsure of what could be happening. The doctor said to do an MRI to check for a brain tumor... ANXIETY SETS in... after MRI he tells me it looks great and says no tumor and no idea what is causing it, and that I should follow up with a neurologist to rule out MS! And then the MS fear begins! I googled it and became a nut case. I quit doing anything physical, I was so afraid it would make symptoms worse. My symptoms kept changing and many people felt that it was sports injury related. That muscles and structure of body got out of whack and messed with nerves. I just still have not been able to kick the fear of MS. I start go exercise and will have symptoms flare up. I am so so scared to exercise again, and that was my passion. So I feel your pain. Know you aren't alone, but in your case I have no question that yours is from sports issues. Makes all the sense, I wish I could think that with myself! How long did your symptoms last?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:28:58 PM »
Hey

My tingling symptoms lasted about 2 weeks or so. That's why I'm still so worried.

I just can't seem to get past it. :(

I know what you mean. I used to be really active - but since this happened. I've been so afraid.

My doc said there isn't any condition that exercise doesn't help improve - even ms.

I just WISH id never gone to the sports therapist. :(. I wouldn't have even HEARD of ms and I bet I wouldn't be dwelling on it now. It's been over a year and I still can't go back to normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
Guys...I am in the same boat as you so I know how bad it feels. You both have probably read my posts. I had a few nightime urine leaks the size of a quarter. My Gp chalked it up to benig overweight and drinking excessive amounts of caffeine. Told me to lose weight and cut back. So I did which worked. But googling about it lead me to a huge lists of reasons for night time leaking which one was MS. I paid it no attention becuase at the time I was rational and thought now way do I have MS.

But I also learned about a condition called Nocturnal Polyuria which is peeing at night frequently. I was doing that too so I became fixated on that. Trying to train my bladder to hold more so I could sleep all night. In reality I was waking once a night and falling back to sleep right away.

At that point I was talking to my dad about all of it one day when I was still mostly mentally stable and I mentioned MS being a cause of leaking. He said that one of our great uncles had MS and in detail explained how his life was.

I still recall the feeling that came over me when my brain recalled that MS link to leaking urine.

My left side of my body has always been in bad shape. Every year when I gold for the first time my arm hurts and my lower back is sore for days. Same with any heavy lifting..my left arms hurts and I always just accepted it and moved on.

Well I woke up a few days after making the MS connection and boom both my left leg and arm were hurting. In the beginning it was mild and so I focused on it all day and asked my wife for reassurance. I stopped working out and sat around. It began to go from a weak feeling to tingling, spams, electric jolts.

I went to my GP and he did all of the Neuro tests and said I was fantastic. He could feel the knots in my left calf from stress..He assured me that MS typically presents much worse and that he actually had diagnosed his neighbor with it and has two MS patients.

All was good for a few days but then I heard a news story about Jack OSborne and Trevor Bayne having MS. Two celebrity men and both had headache issues and double vision and nausea.

Well guess what.....that is what I "think" I am having now. I went to see a neuro doc and he seemed less than concerned. He said he thinks I have a pinched nerve in my leg and anxiety. Said he would do a MRI but said it would only be for piece of mind. Well my wife won't let me spend the thousand bucks on it since we spent so much on my colonoscopy two years ago to find out I had anxiety.

So I started running again...in fact everyday and farther than I ever have. Some days my leg feels awesome...no issues. Other days I can feel the weakness and slight tingles in the bottom of my foot. I also have the spasms in both my legs now...both hamstrings. I chalk these up to running and stress.

So for my leg...I am convinced it was stress. MS wouldn't come and go so much..get better when I run and when I sit and relax.

The sad part is I too let it go on too long and now have developed anxiety. I have induced maintenanace Insomnia now where I sleep maybe 3 hours and wake up, can't get back to sleep. I wake up every morning feeling anxious and nausea.

Now I am constantly checking my vision to see if I can see as well as I use to. I think that is inducing mini anxiety attacks which make my head flush and my vision bad so it freaks me out.

Anxiety will move on you to what you are most worried about. If I would have never heard the TV story about those two guys would my vision be a concerns? Soubt it...because

1. Worried about Urine leaking - > Gone
2. Worried about nightime peeing - > Gone
3. Worried about Leg - > 90% Gone
4. Worried about back tingling - > Gone
5. Worried about soles of feet hurting when walking - > Gone

6. Worried about vision and nausea - > Current focus and not gone

All of the initial items I was so sure of are gone now that I have my vision issue I am focused on. It should tell me something but like you guys I can't break the vicious cycle. for me..I know that if I had the MRI and it said I was ok I would get past this. But that isn't gonna be an option for me so I am going to have to break my HA cycle myself.

My GP and neuro said that if it was MS or a Brain issue that I would know something was wrong. The neuro even remarked on the two celebrities I was so fixated on and said there symptoms were measurable. Jack Osborne woke up blind in one eye and with an extreme headache. Trevore Baynes arm went completely numb followed by extreme nausea, double vision, and fatigue that drove him to go to the hospital.

None of these guys just heard of MS and started to tingle a little and ran to the hospital. They were living normal loves and bam it hit them and was undeniable. My dads best friends wife has MS. How did she find out? She blacked out while driving her car and ran a Stop sign. Montell williams has it and he said when he was in his 20's he lost vision in one eye for weeks....loss hhis ability to see colors once and had terrible burning sensations in his legs and feet.

Noe had some tingling and pressure that allowed them to go to the doctors over and over asking for a diagnosis. Sure I bet you can find some stories on the internet of people who had mild tingling and went to the Dr. and got diagnosed. Those cases exist I am sure but they are rare...

Chances of getting MS are like 0.10%....lower if your a male they say. So now you add in we have all been cleared by doctors and all have somewhat mild symptoms.

Why them are we so worried about MS? Chances of getting cancer are like 1 in 7 or like 14% and yet I have no fear of that for some reason. Or heart disease.

It is craziness. Thanks for letting me journal my feelings. It helps to write. I hope this helped you too. Today when I have a vision issue I am sure I will get anxious but I need to push through it and recall that before all of this I would never have checked my vision each second.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: