Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Would a benzodiazepine, on a PRN basis, help me?  (Read 239 times)

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Would a benzodiazepine, on a PRN basis, help me?
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
I hate being the passenger in a car, or flying on a plane (anywhere I am not in control). Unfortunately i do quite a bit of traveling and so this is unavoidable. I have been on Zoloft for five weeks (50 mg) and i feel somewhat better with my general anxiety but I would like to up the dose when i see my psychiatrist in two weeks, to 100 mg and see how that goes. However, having just traveled for Thanksgiving, i learned that Zoloft doesn;t really do much to lessen the high anxiety in these situations.

Curious as to thoughts regarding whether a low dose PRN prescription of something would be helpful. Anyone else have similiar situations?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Would a benzodiazepine, on a PRN basis, help me?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:27:29 PM »
I hate being the passenger in a car, or flying on a plane (anywhere I am not in control). Unfortunately i do quite a bit of traveling and so this is unavoidable. I have been on Zoloft for five weeks (50 mg) and i feel somewhat better with my general anxiety but I would like to up the dose when i see my psychiatrist in two weeks, to 100 mg and see how that goes. However, having just traveled for Thanksgiving, i learned that Zoloft doesn;t really do much to lessen the high anxiety in these situations.

50mg is the lowest prescribed dose for Zoloft.   The highest prescribed dose for Zoloft is normally 200mg.

Antidepressants and dosage levels, such as Zoloft from 50mg to 200mg, can be compared to a person training for a marathon.   (Also note that each person varies based on athletic ability on how they train for a marathon, as each person will vary on how their brain reacts to stress, as they train it to be less reactive.)

If you raise the Zoloft to 100mg, you will force your brain to work harder, where it will better produce neurons that were previously damaged by psychological stress.  At 50mg, your brain is like getting in shape for a marathon, by just taking a walk.  At 100mg, your brain is like getting in a shape for a marathon, by actually running. 

Due to brain atrophy, cells in your brain have been damaged due to previous psychological stress, based on the excretion of high levels of cortisol during stress.  Due to these brain cells not reproducing, it has caused your brain to malfunction with unnecessary anxiety levels, such as you getting on a plane, where other people without an anxiety disorder won't experience the associated panic.   

The prescription for Zoloft, however, reverses the brain atrophy by forcing the brain to repair itself through a process called neurogenesis.

Your psych doctor will probably allow you to raise the dosage to 100mg - with a prescription - however he will also titrate the dosage by slowly leveling up the dosage from 50mg each week to 100mg.

At 100mg, you probably won't need to use the prescription for benzodiazepines; however, most anxiety disorder sufferers should carry a bottle of benzodiazepines in the event of an unexpected anxiety episode were to happen.  You may get last orders to travel on a plane that afternoon, and the unexpected may raise your anxiety more at that point in time.   So a benzodiazepine could be of help for that particular event.

For me, however, I haven't needed to use my extra prescription for benzodiazepines, and I'm at 175mg Zoloft   I've gone through stressful situations, where my anxiety levels raised with my uncontrollable thoughts, but the Zoloft allowed me to be in control.  I still carry the benzoediazepines, though, if I should ever feel I needed an extra med to calm me down more.

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Tags: