Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bedtime Crazy Stuff Happening!!! And Can Anxiety really do this?  (Read 470 times)

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bedtime Crazy Stuff Happening!!! And Can Anxiety really do this?
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
Let's talk about bedtime. Yes I have been dealing with a wealth of symptoms and issues and trying to pick out what is anxiety, and what is actually caused by something. However let's be specific to bedtime. Do people get body parts that jerk. For example a leg that kicks, or an arm that bounces up as they are falling asleep. How about the feeling like there is some quaking or shaking going on in your body, a slight buzzing feeling. Or maybe sometimes the whole body will jerk. This only happens at bedtime and sometimes when waking up. I haven't noticed it while sleeping. Also I have twitching all day long mainly in calves and arches of feet, but when I lay down they really get to dancing. Yes I have been having anxiety for 3 months, but is this anxiety?

Also can just thinking about your health issues all day, and worrying what is happening and being in tune to your symptoms, but not having panic attacks or sweating palms, cause such havoc. Is that really anxiety at that point? I mean it's not like my fists are clenched or I am on the floor thinking I am dying.... Does this make sense. Please give me some feedback! I'd appreciate it so much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bedtime Crazy Stuff Happening!!! And Can Anxiety really do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
Oh god yes, to all those.  The worst is that I'll start to fade off into sleep, and about 30 min later wake up with a feeling of impending doom.  All HA related...  I started obsessively taking my body temperature, then freaking out because sometimes it's 98.8 and other times 97.9.

My advice is to just relax.  That sounds so easy, I know, and can be so hard.  OMG, do I know the feeling.  But, in then end, that's the only thing that makes a HA sufferer better.  The other option is to freak out and suffer from what's called nerual windup.  Which then causes more of the same.

Good luck, and I hope you can relax and get a good night's sleep.  It's funny how much of our problems go away when we are able to sleep through the night....
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
Muscle twitching when you fall asleep is actually quite common, and it's not neccessarily even an anxiety issue.  If it occurs extremely often, it could be a sign of restless leg syndrome, but if it's a few twitches here and there, it's quite normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
Myoclonic jerks (to give them their technical name) are commonplace when one is falling asleep. Nothing remotely concerning or abnormal here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paula123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
i feeel like i could have written this myself! absaloutly get this every night its horrible! learning to deal with it now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline M_T_A

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:05 PM »
I read this and literally thought there was a clone out there of me and just made this post :) as a matter of fact i was just going to make a post like this right now but found yours. Yes i have ALLLLLLL of those things. Its actually quite annoying. What is happening to me that really freaks me out is the internal shaking. oh my is it freaky and really just makes me more anxious and gets more tremors! yay! i love how anxiety is so cyclical. Yes i have all of the things you made a post of, all of those i have been told are effects of anxiety and stress.
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
I just read that it could be a symptom of MS, the Myclonic jerks, and I am scared now. I have neurological issues like burning, tingling, numbness and twitching and the jerking. I just am so scared. I don't know how to deal with this at times.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
Myoclonic jerks can be a symptom of MS in the same way that a headache can be a symptom of a brain tumour. Most people get myoclonic jerks now and again when falling asleep, but they never develop MS. Everybody gets tension headaches now and again, but brain tumours are extremely rare.
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »
Hey MTA, what exactly are you going through. I would love to hear your story.
Bookmark and Share

Offline london23

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »
wow, this is really really normal. I used to laugh as I watched my dad do this on the couch as he fell asleep, ive seen cats and dogs do it too, its very funny when theyre sleeping and their paws are moving, and i get it myself too whilst falling asleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 01:39:17 AM »
I have had muscle twitches that got worse when going to sleep, yes. I increased magnesium and potassium in my diet and have gotten a better handle on my stress, and they are all but gone. Also, the buzzing that I have had was always in my feet, in my arches. It is very subtle, nothing crazy. I have also had nights where I have waken up and felt like my bed was shaking but it was just me.. I have actually had that my whole life, since I was a kid. So it doesn't really bother me.. It happens every now and then. Its nothing crazy or anything. Its usually when I wake up and I am half asleep and very very tired..
Bookmark and Share

Offline raidero

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 01:40:45 AM »
That happens to me also, and also having HA it adds more stress. I also sometimes wake up suddenly, sometimes twitches here and there, but definitely wake up with HA. I try so hard to ride it out, take slow deep breaths, and try not panic cause it makes it worse. I feel the twitching is anxiety related and also stress related, plus not being rested and/or being sleep deprived. You will be fine, take care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline M_T_A

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
Hey MTA, what exactly are you going through. I would love to hear your story.

I had anxiety when i was in highschool. thought i always had EEE from mosquitos, got over it in a year and the docs thought it was hormonal. I went 5 years without any anxiety until june of last year then it all came back. Counslor beleives it was caused by traumatic events such as me almost getting killed January of 2012 when the snowmobile i was riding in the NH mountains went off a cliff and my self and my GF were thrown off before it went over, very scary, both injured. then 2 months later my friend lost their 10 week old baby after it was born, tragic. So my doc thinks that's what brought it on. I have been in counseling for 1 year and with no meds i was doing GREAT, said i was a miracle story, but like everything after 6 months symptom free my anxiety came back, all revolving around HA. I started to notice tremors in my hands when squeezing something tight or when lifting my arms up or down. docs think its muscle fatigue and lack of fluids, but you know us hypochondriacs think other wise. Things over the past 3 weeks have been crappy, mainly when i sleep as i posted earlier. It feels like there's a cell phone on vibrate in my chest and it freaks me out when trying to sleep, then that causes more anxiety and so on and so forth. vicious cycle, along with dreams where i am not in REM sleep but in that dream purgatory where you know that you are dreaming but still in the dream, which causes me to jerk awake.  I am actually seeing a neuro for peace of mind tomorrow afternoon and am going to discuss my symptoms and am going to assume he will do an MRI and then am going to assume he will tell me i am fine and to deal with my stress and anxiety. They also have a sleep study lab at the place i am going so he may recommend that, but peace of mind helps. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: