Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety/panic causing low self esteem  (Read 145 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxiety/panic causing low self esteem
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
Well, my last post I spoke of the short fuse I've been having lately which I'm still working on. But, does anyone find that when you have succumbed once again to the effects of anxiety, with it's symptoms. or worse panic, does it make you feel like a failure or worthless or 'less than'? I sometimes feel this way especially when I have some sort of function to attend. Instead of having a good time I end up in a battle with my anxiety, which then makes me upset with myself. I wonder, 'why can't I just be normal like all these other people who are having a good time'. Please give me your feed back, thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety/panic causing low self esteem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
Yes, I fall into this type of thinking too when anxiety/panic kicks in, feeling like you have somehow failed and losing confidence in yourself.  Not true!  Believe me when I tell you that those "other people" are not "normal," whatever normal is.  If you somehow could dig deep enough into their lives and minds, god forbid, you will find just as many problems and many that are worse.  The biggest coverup we'll ever see is the front people put up in the presence of others.  I like Claire Weekes advice when we have setbacks and that is to look at the anxiety/panic as another opportunity to practice how to manage these thoughts and physical sensations and not that we failed in some way.  It is not a question of our character, rather, it is a condition that we can learn to manage when it is happening.  That is success!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Thank You e77! That is something I need to keep in mind--that I am not the only one with struggles in my life. Actually whenever I go to a wedding or some party where there are a lot of people I tell myself what the statistics say (don't quote me on these stats), 'lets see, there are 300 people here, and if 1 in 100 are suffering from anxiety/panic right now, that makes 3 of us, so I'm not alone' and that usually makes me feel some what better.

With all that we go through dealing with anxiety/panic and, or depression it makes perfect sense to say we are actually some of the most courageous people around! It will take a lot of practice for me to come to the realization that I am not a weak person or a failure even when I am not 'normal'.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Feelings of guilt and self deprecation are quite common for me, much more long-standing than my anxiety and depression, though likely a big contributor to them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
AncientMelody, that's true, I suppose some people can have such feelings precipitate anxiety/depression. And also have those feelings because of it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: