Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic Attacks - Can't get them to stop  (Read 391 times)

Offline Floridagal10

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic Attacks - Can't get them to stop
« on: December 03, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Hi there,

Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with panic attacks.  Lately I have been having multiple panic attacks a day and the panicky feeling never seems to go away.  It is really starting to affect my day to day life, and it is hard to deal with.   Every time I have an "episode"  I feel like something is drastically wrong with me and that I am about to die which makes me get even more panicky. 

Thanks for any advice!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amy38

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic Attacks - Can't get them to stop
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Have you tried medication yet? I have had to be on meds for the past 19 years to help deal with my panic attacks. Celexa and Effexor have been the only two meds that work for me. When they are working like they should, I don't have any panic attacks. I have recently developed panic attacks while driving, so I'm going to see my doc next week about changing my medication. Cognitive behavioral therapy helps too if you can find a counselor who practices it. But, I've had to be on the meds anyway, because therapy alone doesn't help me.
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »
Hi Floridagal,

Sounds like some nasty panic attacks and yep, it's part of their game to make you panic even worse!!  I think most people with panic will suggest one of the first things you try when you first feel the panic coming on is try to distract yourself rather than give the panic or anxiety any attention so to speak.  Sometimes it helps.  Sometimes panic attacks can be helped with a cold wet cloth on the back of the neck or splashes of cold water on the face.  However, this only takes care of each time you have a panic attack and does not help to prevent them. 

Have you seen your doctor about this?  There are a lot of different meds and therapists out there that can assist you in putting an end to these frequent panic attacks.  Get some help of some sort as fast as you can so you don't have to continue suffering daily like this!

I wish you well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Floridagal10

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »
Thanks for all the advise. I have a very mild anti-anxiety medicine that I can take, but sometimes it actually makes things worse.  I am going back to the doctor in the next couple of weeks so I will definitely discuss those other medicine with her, and look for a therapist in the area.   Maybe the distraction theory can help for the time being along with the cold water. 

Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
If you feel like you can't stop the panic attack you might try to let it happen. That sounds weird, and scary. But until you can visit your doctor you can try to experience a panic attack without getting mad about it. Try to really feel what's happening in your body and mind. Maybe write it down. I understand if you don't want to  try it, but it's just a thought.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
Try to identify any triggers. Panic attacks are awful. I started getting mini attack in August, Sept and October....then I felt fine. The other day I had a severe attack and didn't realize what it was at first so I started gasping for air instead of taking controlled breathes. After that I felt like it took me a couple days to feel normal again.
Bookmark and Share
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Offline Boo89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
Its hard to stop them once you're in the middle of one but trying to distract the mind helps. Sometimes I go for a walk but if its really bad I try to sit/lie down and repeat that its just an attack and that everything is ok. Keeping a journal has really helped me bc I can reread old entries and realize that even though the symptoms feel new (like this time its definitely something fatal and I'm gonna drop dead) I've actually had these feelings before and survived. Other times I like to be around a "safe" person who knows about my problems and will help me if something actually is wrong.

Just have to remember they're unpleasant but will pass.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: