Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I just keep losing weight without trying. What is happening  (Read 742 times)

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just keep losing weight without trying. What is happening
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »
Yesterday, 9 people told me that I lost weight. I was totally scared.

In the morning of Nov 13, I weighed myself and I weighed at around 187 lbs. Before, I was around 189 lbs.

Right now, in the afternoon of December 3, I weighed myself again and I saw that I weighed at 184 lbs!

OMG. I seriously think that I have something sinister.

I feel fine physically and it is just this anxious thought of unintentional weight loss is scaring me.

What scares me more is that for the past 2 weeks, I've been a bit lazy and I've been eating lots of fast food. I never really tried to lose weight so far like going to the gym recently.

I am so scared. Is this a symptom of something bad already? Is it this drastic? I cannot think straight right now.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I just keep losing weight without trying. What is happening
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:54:14 AM »
Your weight can vary significantly due to the volume of water you retain. However, if you suspect anything more fundamental is wrong, you should consult a doctor for diagnosis and reassurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Michael-Eden

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:00:38 AM »
I agree with aardvark, if you feel something is off it's best to have it looked into.
That stated I've lost twenty six founds in the last two months, without trying to. I was In the docs today getting tests run. The result? Anxiety can cause weight loss. Without thinking about it I've been drinking a lot more water as well, which I guess adds to it.
Best of luck
Bookmark and Share
"what matters most is
how well you
walk in the
fire."
Charles Bukowski

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »
Thank you everyone.

I do not know what to think. I just hope this is just one of those weight fluctuations.

Michael,c an you tell me more about your story?

I really do not know if i can handle another person saying that I lost weight. I am going to cry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
Burgundy -

I lose weight when I am anxious even if I eat fast food and am lazy. Your system when anxious is on alert and everything is increased including your metabolism. It needs the energy to keep the fight or flight response up.

I also notice that when I am anxious I tend to get full more quickly so I eat less but more often.

The fact that you have lost 3 pounds since 11/13 is not really significant. Could be water weight came off....could be stress. Could even be the time of day you weighed yourself. If I weight myself in the morning and again at night there is always a 2-3 lb difference.

Talk to your dr. if your really concerned but significant weight loss I think is dropping a bucnh of weight in a short period.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »
I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm anxious I tend to not eat near as much as when I'm feeling fine.....I tend to drink more water and tea when anxious and of course that's going to lead to weight loss.  Don't worry too much because once you start feeling better, trust me, the weight will soon follow!
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
I was once so anxious I lost eight pounds in a week and a half. It definitely happens.

Don't go to the doctor.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline kazoo

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
So all told, you've lostů 5 pounds?  That is insignificant.  I am totally shocked that 9 people can tell that you have lost 5 pounds.  I think if someone told me that, I'd question them on it, because that is a tiny amount of change when you think about it.  Also, it's none of their business.  Why are they even saying this to you?  Do they think it's a compliment, or are they concerned? 

I agree that this is NOT worthy of a doctor visit.  The doctor would not even consider this amount of fluctuation worth mentioning. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
I routinely fluctuate anywhere from 214-222 in a given day.  The key is to weigh yourself at the same time of day, under the same conditions.  I weigh right after I get out of the shower in the morning, but before taking any food or water.  Remember that water weighs 8 pounds per gallon, so a couple of 8oz glasses of water would be 1 pound.  It adds up through the day.

Here's a funny story to follow that up.  A couple of weeks ago I ate some salty homemade bratwursts.  Very good, saltier than I realized, and I gained 10 pounds that day.  TEN.  I went from 216-226 in about 12 hours.  I had been thirsty that day to compensate for the extra salt in my system, and bam.  Heck, one time I even lost 3 pounds after using the bathroom (yes, I weighed myself, I'm a guy and I was curious  :happy0151: )
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for the generous replies.

Pingman, so goad that you mentioned fluctuations. I am really just hoping that this is the thing ai am dealing with. :( could you tell me more about your story please?

Kathie, it is really hard to have this kind of thinking! I am worried though that i have still the same appetite and still i am not gaining weight.  :(

Vardnas, wow that's a lot. Were you eating anything when you had that much weight loss?

Kazoo, yes ypu are right. Actually all those people were some of my classmates back then. We all met together first week of October. Then we all met yesterday and again, most of them i lost weight since we met in october! One did mention though that it was probably because of my hair. I am a guy and in october, i had shorter hair as compared to now. My hair is longer since did not get a haircut since october. Also, one of them said, "oh yeah, you probably look lighter cos of your hair!" But still, that was not enough for me to calm me down! :( they do not know i have HA so they dig it as a compliment...

Hi wegnngis, wow. That is a lot of fluctuation. It is so hard to believe that a lot of factors cause this much fluctuations. How do you deal when you encounter such changes on the scale?

So basically, i topk my weight in the 3rd week of September and it was 189. Now it is down to 184.5. Sigh...

The only thing keeping me sane is the fact that I am not feeling anything bad aside from my HA. If this were something bad, should i feel something else aside from my paranoia of "losing weight?"  :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline Michael-Eden

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
Hey burgundy palace, sorry it took me a while to reply.
I started having anxiety issues a little while back, for me part of that is my heart rate was sitting a bit too high for a while (100 while resting 120ish while resting ).
I'm not sure if that combined with the fact I started drinking a lot more water each day, crave it often, melted the pounds off of me.
I was also unmediated up until yesterday so I was pretty much in a constant state of high anxiety or panic for almot two and a half months. Not fun. Woot
Bookmark and Share
"what matters most is
how well you
walk in the
fire."
Charles Bukowski

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
I can fluctuate up to 5-6 pounds day to day, and can add/drop 15-30 pounds within a few months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »
Let me tell you about illness and weight loss. When they say weight loss, I am not sure what they mean per say, but I had an illness they could not figure out. I couldn't keep food down, I couldn't eat, I had no appetite and I lost 40 pounds in one month. It was not pretty. It was accompanied with terrible fatigue and weakness. I couldn't get in and out of the tub on my own. I had to have help to walk. This was what weight loss from an illness looked like. I also had a time where I had bad anxiety and lost 20 pounds in a month because I was so anxious and wasn't eating that much. I may have some crappy meals, but I wasn't eating truly all that much. So I think that you have no underlying cause. I would guess fluctuation, or from anxiety. I would not even consider a serious illness. I had a serious illness and it just isn't weight loss. So much is involved. You aren't able to chow down fast food and feel fine, I'll tell you that much! I hope you can some peace of mind and not worry. I am sure that this is nothing sinister at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
Thanks Mchael, utah, and hypo.

Utah, that's crayz. I cannot imagine being in your place without breaking down. I hope you feel better now though. Thing is my appetite is still ok and I feel fine. It's just that thhese people keep telling me that I lost weight. Drives me really crazy. So hard to believe that there is nothin wrong!

Hypo, could you tell your story? Were you losing weight in spite of not trying?

Michael, thank you again. I dont know but can drinking water make you lose weight. How much was your weight loss thing?

So sorry for asking lots of questions. You are the only one who is keeping me sane att his moment,
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
I have had this exact problem before and even started a thread about it asking for advice. I was losing weight every day, despite the fact that I was eating. I even remember eating mini cinnamon rolls, tons of junk food, etc one day just to see of I could gain weight. It didn't work. That's when I started to panic and went to the doctor. She told me the same thing everyone here said...it was my anxiety. First, get rid of your scale and/or stop weighing yourself every day. It's really hard but when I did that during my anxious period I stopped focusing on the number (which increases anxiety) and soon enough my mind moved on to something else.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: