Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: High anxiety when a passenger in a car  (Read 202 times)

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
High anxiety when a passenger in a car
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:44:23 PM »
I am curious if anyone else struggles with this-I generally have little trouble driving, but I hate to not be the one driving. I generally can't watch the road for fear that we are going to crash (I lay down) and jerking movements startle me. Given that most of the time I know that the fear is unwarranted, I know that my anxiety is irrational, but I can't help it. Is it because I don't have control of the car? This also happens in planes; I fly a lot and am always very nervous and thinking something bad is going to happen.

I have been on Zoloft for 5 weeks and it has helped with my overall tension and anxiety. However, it doesn't
Seem to do anything for these situations. Is there something else that would help with situations like this that I can't avoid?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: High anxiety when a passenger in a car
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:17 AM »
I am probably the worst passenger you can have in a car. I can't sit easy. Worth mentioning I have been in a few crashes as a passenger and ended up under a car once. There is a reason for me and cars not getting on too well at all. What I hate most are the big motorways. Six lanes of traffic and we are right in the middle lane. I struggle big time. But I tend to put my MP3 player on. Get lost in my music. It is the only way I can make such trips. I'm not as bad with just two lanes of traffic. One going one way, the other going the other way. More just these huge motorways. Music has always helped me along. My quick fix for everything. Songs I love and sing along as we go. Just my way of dealing with the situation.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High anxiety when a passenger in a car
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
Wondering if a benzodiazepine would be good, not for continuous therapy (my Zoloft is working well for that) but on an as-needed basis? Don't know much about them other than they can be addictive if used daily.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: