Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety about anxiety and becoming normal again... Meds?  (Read 542 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety about anxiety and becoming normal again... Meds?
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »
So after 2 years of relentless anxiety that came from nowhere .... I guess the realization of it is that I now have anxiety about anxiety and becoming back to normal
Again .... Does this make me a candidate for meds? I mean I have not one external stressor NOT ONE. My family is awesome my friends are awesome I love where I go to school my family has me set up financially for when I grow up... I just have this random anxiety... Fully physically checked and still nothing wrong.....should I just take meds? I feel like if I felt normal for an extended period of time Id be fine and if I weened off the right way ... I'm so hyper aware of everything my thoughts are anxious/negative ... So maybe meds are a good idea... What do u guys think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety about anxiety and becoming normal again... Meds?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:44:23 AM »
I can relate to that kind of anxiety, a sort of lurking feeling that something is off, even though there seems to be no trigger. I think that the decision to take meds or not is a personal one, and talking with your doctor can help you decide how you want to deal with your anxiety. I don't know if that helps or not.

-Lily
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
What did u do to treat yours
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
Hi Chris

You don't necessarily have to have "stressors" for anxiety to rear it's ugly head....I can come up out of nowhere and it doesn't need a trigger that you can identify, it just pops up and there it is, left for you to figure out how to get rid of it.  Some people go the route of choosing not to take meds and try the route of a therapist.  Others take meds to help, and yet others do both, therapy and meds.  It's all about what works best for you.  Doing nothing though won't fix a thing.  You need to make a plan as to how you'd like to start battling this so you can see an end in site in your suffering.  Talk to your doctor or even your school counselor.  I'm sure they will all have ideas you could consider!

I hope this helps a little!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply.... I have only tried like natur alternative therapies so far that all haven't worked like Accupucnture .... Herbs .... Hypnosis... And so on
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »
The decision to go on meds is a personal one and also one to make with a doc you trust.  I finally chose to go on meds two months ago after years of anxiety, also with no triggers.  For me it was the right call and I feel better now than I have in years.  That being said the first step is to talk to a good doc about med and therapy options and see what they have to say.  They spent 8 years in school to get that MD after their names...find one you like and trust and talk it out with them.  If at any point you feel uncomfortable or like they are not listening to you then find a new doc.  I went through two doc's before I found my current one and he is awesome!  (For the record I am on Zoloft with a side order of Xanax.)  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
I think that meds can be a good thing when a person really needs help. I have been on Celexa in the past, the first time I took it (there have been a few goes with it) I had side-effect's that ranged from nausea to insomnia and even more anxiety. But I stuck it out and when the side-effects went away I never felt so good, probably in my whole life. The feeling it gave me was as if all of the tension was released from my body and I could finally relax. Everything was better from my appetite to my sleep--I slept so soundly. The reason I stopped taking it was that I became pregnant. Otherwise I would have stayed on it. I went back on it about 2-3 times since. I usually stop because I feel better and think I will be ok without it--and I'm not a big fan of medication. But, right now I am in the same boat as you and am seriously considering going back on it. Sometimes the benefits out number the fear of taking meds. I just keep thinking that my quality of life would be so much better---and so would the people around my life, because they wouldn't have to endure my recent bad mood outbursts. As my first post subject said--anxiety is keeping me from living my life to the fullest, and I know first hand that the proper meds will help a person live their life more fully.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys the positive responses helps a lot... My doctors given xanax XR but in
Affraid of addiction.... Also I'm a little affraid to take antidepressants because I tried Zoloft and I thought I was going to die and landed in a panic attack/psychosis that lasted 3 days ... I know that is common and can happens but I'm just a little affraid of them ... I also tried gabapentin (huge waste of time lol)... Any comments about xanax XR?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 06:06:17 PM »
Don't know about Xanax, but interestingly when I first started Celexa and was experiencing side effects, I had one of the most horrible panic attacks I ever had. I really did think I was going to lose it while I was in the midst of that panic attack. But, for some reason I kept plugging away and stuck with it. But, I'm sure some meds work for some and not for others.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:33:55 PM »
I can definitely relate. I've had anxiety since early spring and I know how you feel about wanting to be normal again. I feel like I'm on the brink of a cure, because I don't have many physical symptoms at all- I really just have anxiety about anxiety! Whenever I think about having anxiety, it makes me anxious and I start ruminating about it (what if I'm never normal again? What if it makes me depressed? What if what if WHAT IF) and until I distract myself, it just keeps going. I don't have any external stressors either and I would describe my life exactly like yours. I do worry about school a little, but not nearly as much as other people do.

As for what I'm doing about it: I plan on starting to take Omega-3 krill oil capsules. I've read that krill oil is the most pure source of omega 3's, and omega 3's have been shown to treat depression as well as antidepressants. So I'm going to try that because I have no interest in anxiety meds. I've read too many studies about how antidepressants really aren't that effective physiologically- it's more a placebo effect, and they can have long term affects that I want nothing to do with. I am also religious, so this next part may not apply to you, but I pray in times of anxiety which really helps, and I've been reading some Christian-based books about overcoming fear and anxiety. I also have read some other anxiety books that help (I found the top 10 rated books on Amazon and picked a couple). I would recommend staying busy, no matter how badly you want to stay in bed and curl up all day. Being busy and being around my friends/family are the times wen I have little to no anxiety at all. Hope this helps, and you can ignore the anxiety like I'm trying to do!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 02:18:14 AM »
A lot of those studies are
Flawed because they only use certain anti depressants on certain people and we all know what works for one may not work for another .. I was reading an article the oter day on how those studies are nonsense ... U take my aunt for example who was in a DEEP depression in which we would find her shaking in content rocking back and forth ... She was suicidal and Zoloft pulled her out of it ... She was so bad, no placebo effect would have helped her so I mean overcoming with no meds is ideal but I wouldn't throw the idea out the window if u need it some day but I pray a lot too and yea being with friends helps for sure thanks for the reply
Bookmark and Share

Offline laineymom

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
As everyone here has said, meds are definitely personal. I've tried over the years to not be on them for my anxiety, but I've had to at times, Then when I feel better, I go off. Then anxiety comes back. I'm certain it's genetic and my brain chemicals just get out of whack. It's in my family and its in me. But I also believe therapy helps with your thinking patterns, so right now I'm doing meds and therapy. I'm SO much better. It's taken almost 4 weeks for my meds to make a difference daily, but it was worth the side effects and wait because I was becoming debiliated with anxiety daily. No one wants to be on medicine, but as my doctor said, if you had diabetes, you wouldn't not take your insulin just because you don't want to be on meds, would you? BUT, if you can manage without meds and have a good quaility of life, that's great. For me, it's not the case long term.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
Well said, and yeah it all over both sides of my family too and most of them still are on meds and doing very well but my mom overcame it without meds and is hustling me about not being on meds because she says I don't need it but I don't know well see I'm gonna make a decision probabbly sometime after this weekend
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Hi Chris...  I sure believe in keeping an open mind, and not closing any doors so to speak, on what might work.  I had my first problems with anxiety/panic attacks, some four years ago.  I ended up on Remeron, which worked well for me until this summer, when the panic attacks started showing up again.  Before I knew it, the 24/7 anxiety was back.  I was started on Celexa, 12 days ago.  I am having some not so nice side effects, but I know that I have got to stick with it, and give the med time to work.  This site, with people's wonderful words, has helped me keep my hopes alive.  I sure wish you the very best, with whichever path you take...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Hi Chris, well I just saw an interesting read about taking meds. when depressed. It came from my Bible 0409 page. Don't know if you are Christian or not, but it can apply to anyone. Here it is, http://www.gci.org/CO/depression.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: