Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 323 times)

Offline MJG03

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tinnitus
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
I haven't been on this site in quite some time now(guess that could be considered a good thing). I stopped seeing my therapist a few months ago and am now going through a bit of a relapse. I loved my therapist but he was in his 80's and I was starting to get frustrated with him not remembering things we'd talked about from previous sessions. Anyway, I have developed tinnitus in my right ear. It has been going on for about a week now.  My ear feels congested when I move my jaw I can hear fluid way down in there. I have had bad hearing since I was a child and about 2 years ago I went to a doctor who had a shocked reaction to my hearing loss and said he had patients will my amount of loss who wore hearing aids. Mind you I'm 28 years old and am not real interested in having hearing aids just yet. I only have trouble hearing whispering or if someone is in another room. None of my friends had ever even noticed it before I told them. So since that appointment I have been obsessed with my hearing. Very self conscious and constantly fear sudden deafness. Needless to say I'm terrified this tinnitus is permanent. Hard to tell since I've been having panic attacks about it and I know stress and anxiety worsen it. It started after I had been listening to my iPod A LOT over the course of a few days(stupid, I know). Can anyone tell me if this is a permanent thing or is it just lasting longer than usual?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJG03

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
Just took my dog out and noticed my right ear feels very plugged and I can't hear very well. I'm so scared of sudden hearing loss. I've been googling for a couple hours now just trying to find something that will calm me down but it's just stories of people waking up deaf!
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:52:50 AM »
This may sound like stating the bloody obvious, but have you had your ear checked to see whether it requires syringing? A build-up of wax (which can definitely be aggravated by wearing earphones more than normal) would produce precisely the effects you describe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »
I would see an ENT physician and explain your symptoms and concerns.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:59:05 AM »
My wife developed Tinnitus at age 34 out of nowhere in her left ear. We went to the ENT and he did all the checks and finally gave her an MRI to check for a special type of tumor on the ear canal.

Nothing was ever found and he said that the majority of the time there is no explanation. Now, my wife has GAD and takes lexapro daily. She doesn;t have HA but more so worries about every day things and the future.

She said once she just accepted the ringing in her ear it went away after awhile. Probably is a anxiety connection...as with anything the more you focus on it the more the brain creates the symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJG03

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
Thanks everyone. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor for an ear cleaning. I can't get in until Monday though! I'm trying to stay calm and accept that it probably isn't permanent but this ringing is driving me crazy! It's making me dizzy and fatigued which makes me angry and anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »
If you ears are going to be syringed, you should soften the wax with regular applications of olive oil or ear drops in the meantime (though no doubt your doctor has told you this). Let us know how you get on!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJG03

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
Anyone ever had Labyrinthitis? It sounds pretty spot on to what I'm experiencing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJG03

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »
Went to the doctor this morning. Couldn't wait till Monday, too much pain. I think the doctor I saw was new. She didn't seem very confident in what she was doing. Not good for a patient with HA. She said because my ear canals are so tiny(which I've been told by doctors before.) she couldn't see my eardrum but it sounds like I have an ear infection. So she prescribed me amoxicillin. Of course I'm having a hard time trusting her because she seemed so unsure of herself.
Bookmark and Share

Online LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
I developed tinnitus in August in both ears and I assume it had to do with anxiety. I'm now on lexapro for depression (5 weeks now) and it has become a little louder at times but there are other days when it's not so bad (but have developed hypercausis upon starting the lexapro). It really depends on my stress level and if I'm sleeping enough. I'm getting an MRI of my ears on Monday to rule out a tumor - so I am worried about that. I have more of a hearing loss in my right ear and do experience stuffiness in both ears (again, I'm making the anxiety connection here). I will also hear my pulse from time to time and a thumping noise too. I've been to many ENT's and my ears look normal. Any thoughts out there?
Bookmark and Share

Offline nate1028

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
I have Tinnitus which seems to be genetic, inherited from my grandfather/mother/to me and some of my family.  In fact, because of his various ear troubles, he was not allowed to be enlisted during WWII. 

Sometimes I have the ringing, sometimes I do not. I notice when I have a cold and have fluid build up in my ears it is worse, and when I get an ear infection.  Often times, I have fluid in my ears and no ear infection, and even this will bring on my ringing in my ears or make it worse.

I guess I am trying to say that  I have ringing in my ears more often than not, and as my mom used to say, and now I believe her from first hand experience, you get used to it even if you end up with it all the time!

Most cases of this ringing are benign, just wanting to give you some soothing words from someone that suffers from it. Have a wonderful, relaxing weekend!  :yes:

Bookmark and Share

Tags: