Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lung Cancer fear - again - please talk me down  (Read 240 times)

Offline megant19

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Lung Cancer fear - again - please talk me down
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »
So my lung cancer fear is back again. I am 33 years old, I smoked for about 9 years, quit 6 years ago and started again about 10 months ago. I'm trying to quit again, down to only a couple a day but I am absolutely convinced and terrified that I have lung cancer. I was diagnosed with costochondritis from the ongoing chest/sternum pain I have been having for over 6 months now. It hurts when I move, not to breathe and a little bit to touch but not overly tender like dr. Google says classic costo would be.

The main worry right now is I've gotten sick several times this year and 3 times now it's turned into what seems to be bronchitis. It's gone away after awhile, but I'm just getting over a bout and now have a cold again as of yesterday. Repeated infections are classic lung cancer symptoms according to yes, Dr. Google. I am trying my hardest to stay away from googling, I just am so terrified that I have this deadly cancer. I've had full blood workups which were fine, and spinal xrays at the chiro which were fine as well. Have had an abdominal ultrasound that was normal. I have not however had a chest x-ray and I've talked to 3 drs, none of which feel I need one. Had my pulse ox measured and it was at 98 or 99, have had my lungs listened to. Please someone help me, I am spiraling bad and am so trapped in this pit of anxiety that I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline megant19

• Poke This Member
Re: Lung Cancer fear - again - please talk me down
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »
Anybody??
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:03:42 AM »
I was told that lung cancer can take decades to develop. I am 57 and I have friends that have smoked that
nothing has happened to them, while others have developed lung cancer. My father used to smoke three packs of
Marlboro's per day, until he was in his 40's and lived until 93. If you are concerned, I would talk to you doctor.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Pingman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
I smoked from age 16-24 a pack a day. At age 34 I started coughing up blood each morning which developed into sever chest pain. Against my GP wishes he sent me for an X-ray. It was clean. I ahve a tendency too to get chest cold a few times a year, probably due to the fact that I smoked.

Don't think the worst thing, sometimes it is just normal
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
First of all, stay away from Dr. Google.  Secondly, if you had lung cancer you would not have that terrific pulse ox that you have!!  Awesome lung capacity!!  change in weather can trigger colds and sinus....viruses can hang on for long periods of time, or suddenly feel as though they are going away only to come back again full force!!  You say your doc does not feel the need for an xray?  He listens to your chest and hears how strongly you are able to take in and out air and without wheezes or struggle, so an xray he feels would be a waste of your time and your money.  I tend to agree with your doctor.  If he's not hearing anything out of the ordinary, chances are this is the common virus and it just has to pass with time.  The best thing you can do is to get the rest you need and continue to drink plenty of water and warm teas.

Feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline megant19

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
Thank you - I really appreciate the responses. I am on day 2 of no smoking and so far so good. My fears are a little better, but I can tell my anxiety overall is still horrible. I know rationally that if lung cancer was causing my symptoms, I would have a lot more severe symptoms than I do, but I can still feel myself obsessing over it. I'm just trying to tell myself to give it 2-3 weeks of not smoking and I should feel a lot better by then. If I don't I can reevaluate, but 2-3 weeks is not going to change anything if there is something wrong, so just stop thinking about it. If only it were that easy..... :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: