Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sensitivity to external things?  (Read 220 times)

Offline idk

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sensitivity to external things?
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
I was just wondering if this was something others with anxiety issues have experienced...

I've become more sensitive to things. Things as simple as lights and loud noises seem too bright and too loud. Another thing is other people's emotions. Like when things are tense and people around me are tense I get really anxious. For example, a while back my mom was getting exasperated with a curtain that wouldn't stay shut and she and my sister were kind of freaking out about it. I couldn't have cared less about the curtain, but because of the way they were acting about it I got so anxious and had an anxiety attack. And today in class we were watching Apollo 13 and it was at a really tense part and I almost had an anxiety attack because of it. I think that's why, anyway.

Has anyone else experienced greater sensitivity like this? Thanks.     :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sensitivity to external things?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
Yes, I can relate to all of that. The light and sound especially; wedding receptions with loud music gets me. At the grocery store, the buzzing of the meat display case gave me one of the worst panic attacks (I know that is strange :) ) And highly emotional or action packed movies get me too. I think it is that those things are too stimulating to an already over-stimulated nervous system.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
I'm certainly right there, with both of you...  Right now I am having trouble with my GAD.  I have a phone right next to my computer, and when it rings, I about jump out of my skin.  A few days ago, a couple of my relatives got into a little argument in front of me, and my anxiety went right through the roof.  I keep away from the bright lights too (but the Sun is okay)...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
I'm exactly like you guys. I feel oversensitive to everything from the way wintertime sun looks so much different than summertime, bright lights, loud noise, my own feelings (over-monitoring them because I'm afraid of anxiety changing who I am or making me depressed), and definitely other people's emotions! Although, I've never been one to make fun of others or sad bad things about other people because I know how it feels to have it done to you, so I think it might just be an extension of that. I don't like seeing other people sad or anything like that anymore. I can't stand when people overreact to things, like OP said about the curtain, too. I question a lot of things that I have never questioned before in my life, such as weird existential questions. But I know it's all just anxiety and I try to ignore it as best I can. Hope you get through this phase of anxiety! We can do this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »
I feel the same way as all of you..my central nervous system is definitely overly stimulated and it seems to go off at all the wrong times. Sometimes I can't stop shaking and im not even thinking of anything but I guess since subconscienly I probably am it does all these crazy things to me. I'm definitely sensitive to lights and the way the day changes outside and overaware of my emotions and things I do. Its not a good thing to feel or go through. And sometimes I think of things that are just bizarre, I know its just anxiety as well but its not easy to get through unfortunately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shellienutt

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
Your not alone honey! I FEEL YOUR PAIN! It drives me up the walls I see something on tv or I am around confrontation I gets sick and I mean literally sick I want to throw up or I start shaking and crying. I don't understand it either but it is something I have learned that I have to deal with so I just make my self scares during things that will cause me to have a panic attack.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: