Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Symptoms  (Read 387 times)

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Symptoms
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
Hi, I was just wondering what symptoms does others get from their anxiety? For me I mainly get chest aches, headaches, shakes, twitches, and rapid heart rate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rpisarenko

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »
Hi there! I am a 21 year old female and I recently started having anxiety problems more often. I get heart palpitations, shortness of breath, hands and feet get tingly and numb. Some times I cannot control my lips because they start twitching. I am really scared every time i have this, feels like I am about to get a heart attack. I really do not know what to do about it anymore but I really do not want to go on pills. What is your experience with anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline blkhwksfan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »
Lam123,

For me, I experience more gastrointestinal issues than anything when my anxiety kicks in.  I can also get light headed, headaches and of course fatigued.  I was diagnosed back in April with GAD, social anxiety and depression.  The GI issues are what makes things worse for me because anxiety can cause these symptoms and in turn I worry about them and then it increases my level of anxiety making it a circle of agony that gets bigger and bigger.  When things would get so bad, I would eventually break down and cry because I couldn't take it any longer.  I have been placed on medication and it does help.  I currently take clonazepam (Klonopin) and sertraline (Zoloft).  The sertraline has helped tremendously with the depression and slowly helping with the anxiety as my psychiatrist slowly increases the dosage until I reach the optimal level.

Therapy has been a big help for me too and no matter how many meds I am given, I know getting to the root of the problem is the best thing in the long run rather than masking with meds.  Sometimes they are necessary to help get the ball rolling and help to let your mind relax.  It is amazing that the mind can have such a profound effect on our bodies. 

I know it isn't possible to do it everywhere but I have found that Mindfulness Meditation works great for calming me and helping me relax and get back to the moment. 

A friend sent me a quote by Lao Tzu:

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

Take care and know that there are so many like you that experience the same issues so you are not alone.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
My experience is mainly health anxiety. I had a anxiety attack, thought I was having a heart attack, since then I have seen two cardiologist, they told me everything is fine, been to emerg many times and everything is fine. But I can't get it out of my head
So I started going for walks, watching more comedy on tv, and I have an appt with a therapist this week.
Always a journey. I am slowly learning to take it one day at a time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheeky_beef

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
I actually get quite a few of the symptoms, but I notice some than others. So far, I've had problems with digestion, pains and burns around my whole body, one case of a panic attack, tingling, numbness & sharp split-second pains that really force me to take note of them. The feeling of not getting enough breath when I breathe in is also another symptom I've had a hard time accepting.

The above are quite mild, really, and they go off pretty quickly, which is useful as I try to distract myself often. In the past, I worried about every single pain and abnormality that has happened, but now I find it much easier to brush it off. I find that accepting uncertainty in life is key, and that even though anything can happen, help is always available to those who seek it.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Rae Rae

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
I have had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for quite some time now, but I used to have severely BAD anxiety. I used to get the weirdest symptoms & when I conquered whatever random symptom(s) I got, NEW ones would come! When my anxiety started it was after I gave birth... I felt out-of-it & dizzy all the time, & like I was unable to keep my balance. Then it just got worse & worse where I'd get palpations, feel numb, tingly, sweaty, shaky, nauseous, & have trouble breathing. After awhile I started feeling like I was going to die.. my head would feel as if it was on fire & felt like smoke was coming out of my ears & I couldn't hear. It was crazy & scary as hell! Then after a year I began to also get intrusive thoughts & I literally thought I was a horrible person & didn't understand it & I just wanted to die.

I used to constantly dwell on all of my symptoms, so I had every test possible done to me & everything always came back NORMAL! So then I told myself enough of this crap taking over my life & then I realized that the MORE you worry about it all or dwell on it, THE WORSE IT GETS! Its like your brain feeds off of your fear.. The key is to ignore any negative symptom that you feel or any negative thought that you think. I used to get panic attacks DAILY, now I probably have had 3 attacks TOTAL this entire year alone!!!

My advice is to tell yourself that you are fine & that you are not going to die from anxiety! Turn your negative/scared thoughts into positive/happy thoughts!

GOOD LUCK!!!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
"The secret of life isn't what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

Offline Boo89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »
My symptoms tend to vary but the key ones are chest tightness or a weak feeling in my chest, headaches, shortness of breath, feeling off balance/weak, ear pressure & general feeling that I'm about to die. I've had plenty of blood tests and EKGS and the diagnosis is that I'm physically normal lol
I've been diagnosed w GAD, OCD, and panic attacks - which I treat with CBT and Ativan. Things were going well for a while but lately I'm going through increased anxiety. During the day I get really anxious for no reason and then at night I'm drained so the tired feeling brings on more anxiety. Thankfully sleeping is not a problem - lol best part of the day

I agree with Rae - not dwelling on it helps turn your mind off but it can be hard... trying that now
Bookmark and Share

Tags: symptoms