Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panick attack when falling asleep  (Read 822 times)

Offline alexthegreat98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panick attack when falling asleep
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
I need some thoughts about what is going on with me. Over the past few years  as I am beginning to doze off to sleep when I'm just about to zonk out I get this sharp pain in my chest / heart area. The pain is strong enough that I jump upright, I am grasping for air, my heart is racing a mile a minute, and quite often I even scream for help and scare the day lights out of my wife. I am 31 years old. I really don't know what the hell is going on. I have been to the doctor over the past few years and they never seem to find anything wrong. All I know is that these episodes are becoming worse. I am becoming terrified of falling asleep! And it seems like the chest pain when this happens feels like it's getting worse. I have dealt with anxiety in the past, but how the heck do you deal with something when you are asleep?
Has anyone else ever dealt with something like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panick attack when falling asleep
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:23 AM »
Hey Alex,
I have had similar episodes where I was overtired and I was in bed and thought my throat was swelling shut... I went bolt upright and i had to talk myself down from it. I let the sensation go through me until i was so tired I passed out. I get a lot of twinges and sharp pains in my chest so I know what those feel like... they're muscular in nature for me (usually everyone) and I just brace myself for panic after I get them. Do you have good support at home?
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline Anxious_MJJ

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
Does the sharp pain comes when you breath in ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »
You are not alone. I "try" to take a nap--used to be a wonderful napper. Now, when I "phase out" (not sure if I am sleeping) for a few minutes, I wake up in a panic every time with heart palpitations and horrible fear. It takes me a few minutes to settle down. Does anyone else experience this? I was hoping it was temporary. For awhile, I was unable to nap at all now on "good" days I can "phase" out for a few minutes. Wondering if anyone has read or found anything about this. My dr. does not have an answer. I miss my quality naps. My heart goes out to those of you who this happens to when you are falling asleep at night. It is odd that this does not happen to me at night.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livinthislife

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
it happens quite often to me, i will lay down to go to sleep just as im falling deep asleep, or after a few minutes of being asleep i feel like im falling or i stopped breathing and i will violently jerk myself awake. i will usually have to sit up and gasp for air. just last night i elbowed my wife when i woke up like this. she is used to it but it still scares her pretty bad. it seems to happen more often for me when im exhausted or under a lot of stress. i can usually feel it before i go to bed. ive learned that if i feel a certain way before bed ill just sit up in bed until it goes away, with relaxation and breathing. ive also learned that if i wake up like that to wake myself up completely and relax before i try to go back to sleep, otherwise i will just keep having them.
Bookmark and Share
i dont live my life as if each day was my last, i live it as if i was 100 years old and was able to look back and remake my choices so i have no regrets or missed opportunities.

Offline Andrea24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
This happens to me all the time! It is comforting to know that I am not alone (of course I wish that none of us had to go through this).  Like another person mentioned, my issue started with napping and then just progressed from there. I hate it so much because sleeping used to be the one thing that refreshed my soul.
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline Always@night

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »
This just happened to me and is why I am wide awake right now looking at this site.   It's only the third time ever for me, but it's a scary feeling!
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexthegreat98

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
I thought I would give an update to my situation regarding these attacks when I fall asleep as this could help other people going through the same thing. I finally got into the sleep clinic and the doctor about my situation. She almost described my situation as someone who almost has symptoms Post Tramatic Stress Syndrom (without the actual PTSD!) Anyway, she prescribed me Prazosin, which is used to stop the adreanlean rushes that were occurring as I was falling asleep. I have been taking it since Dec 3rd, and it has actually helped. My panick attacks when I am falling asleep have almost stopped, and I am finally sleeping!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
This will happen to me sometimes too, jerking away in sudden panic. My therapist said it is extremely common and it's called the startle response, babies have this and it's a normal thing that can happen. Your body is fully relaxing and letting go of things to sleep, and that gives the anxiety a chance to take over and say hey, there aren't any barriers blocking me from panicking, lets panic! I also have panic after coming home from someplace, which she also said is very common because I try so hard to remain calm and not have anxiety that when I get home to where it is 'safe', my mind finally says good no more pressure to keep the lid on, lets panic! I'm glad that the medication is working, you might also try taking a few minutes before sleep to acknowledge your anxious feelings if any and let yourself feel okay that you have them, it might help your brain not go wonky and decide to pop you awake to let you know you are anxious :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nevertoolate

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
I just posted something similar and then I saw your post. I've had this happen over the past 3 months. I'm 35 and have never, ever had such a thing happen in my life until recently. My doctor told me to try and walk when this happens- but that's not so easy late at night!

I get out of bed and go outside for fresh air  when I've had panic upon falling asleep. I live in a cold climate and it seems to help. I'm so sorry you're going through this! I can empathize, as I'm nervous about going to sleep as well at this point.

Best of luck to you. Please read the "life saving list" at the top of the panic disorder page. It gives a list of panic attack symptoms and it is reassuring to read the list and be able to tLk yourself down at the moment...

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: