Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: mole  (Read 186 times)

Offline anxietyguy09

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
mole
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Hi:

I am a 35 year old male.

I've had a small mole on my stomach for a while now, and never really noticed it change at all.

I've even been to the dr, where they looked at it during a general mole exam (but I didn't really mentioned anything special about it, since at the time I hadn't noticed any changes).

It looks pretty normal: dark brown, perfect circle, 4mm, pretty well defined edges, not really raised, single colour.

Anyways... I was looking at some pictures from about two years ago, and noticed there that the mole actually has grown a fair bit over the last two years. Hard to tell from the pic, but perhaps going from 2mm to 4mm over the last two years?

I am making an appointment to get it looked at again... but would appreciate any insight that would help put my mind at ease in the interim... I'm freaking out. Why is it growing? Is it the c word?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
Re: mole
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
If you go to a dermatologist and tell them the mole has increased in size, they'll probably do a biopsy.  It doesn't automatically mean it's bad.  Doesn't sound too horribly concerning. Is it the only mole like it on your entire body?

One thing I've learned, is to ask what they put on the form they send to the pathology lab. They will put something like "r/o atypia", for ruling out an atypical mole.  Often times you can leave the office and not have any idea what the doctor was thinking, further increasing your anxiety while waiting the results.

Hang in there. Keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
welcome to Anxiety Zone anxietyguy!  Glad to have your here! 

Regarding that mole of yours, the best thing you can do if it's become bothersome is to talk with your doctor or dermatologist.  If you truly feel it has grown, mention it to the doctor and get a biopsy.  It's generally just a quick 'shave biopsy" and painless.  You'll have results in a few days.  However, the doctors do a great job in determining if they feel your mole may NOT warrant a biopsy.  If that's the case, you must trust their judgment. 

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietyguy09

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

I got in to the Dr, who said it is absolutely nothing to worry about. She said it is very normal looking, and not a concern for her at all.

She was very confident in her diagnosis of it, especially given that she had seen it in the past (at the appointment when I didn't tell her that I thought it may have increased in size).

Taking your (and her) advice, I will trust her judgement. :) Hard to do for me sometimes... but I will do my best :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: