Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help me - I think I have an advanced melanoma  (Read 302 times)

Offline Liasw

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help me - I think I have an advanced melanoma
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »
I'm an absolute mess right now. I have been suffering with some severe health anxiety for the last 2 months (so far I have been absolutely certain that I had ovarian cancer, kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer and bowel cancer). My anxiety seemed to turn elsewhere for about a week (I suddenly had a fear of driving and being in a car accident). Then on Thursday I had a skin check. The doctor decided to do a shave biopsy on a mole on my back. He said it was odd because it was a raised mole growing on top of a flat mole (both were normal colour and shape). This mole used to be flat and I have no clue when it grew the raised bit. The doctor gave it a 1 in 100 chance of being abnormal.

The next day I noticed a black spot grow in the healing scab. It is the same today. I am sure it is a melanoma and Im scared it is rapidly growing and has spread to other parts of my body. All I can think about is dying and leaving my kids (Im a 27 year single Mum). I am horrified and devastated and cant imagine that it COULDNT be a melanoma. Im constantly thinking about this, having panic attacks and crying. I don't get my results back until Thursday and I don't know how I am going to be able to bear the wait! I am so lost and afraid right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PennyPanic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help me - I think I have an advanced melanoma
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
Nothing worse than waiting for results.  I get it.  I understand.  We've all been there.  But...you have to remember that an "abnormal" mole...which the doc thinks is a 1 in 100 chance is not necessarily melanoma.  An abnormal mole can be just an abnormal mole....seriously.

You are getting way ahead of yourself.  Try as hard as you can to distract yourself until the results come in.  Concentrate on your kids.  You'll get through it.

Bookmark and Share

Offline candaceb816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
I actually just had two mole biopsies, but it was my choice. The doctor wanted to watch them for a few months to see if they changed. He told me it wasn't skin cancer, and that he would be honest if he thought it was.  The scab on my back shows faintly the mole there. Usually when they do a biopsy, the mole is not completely removed as it is deeper and would require actual surgery. I'm sure you're fine!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
If there's a black spot in your scab, it could be from the electrocautery device used to stop bleeding. Some of my own mole biopsy sores, when new, were pretty bad looking, for a while.

Now, I'm going through a little melanoma concern of my own, too; and I know better. I had a normal and stable mole, on my back, removed in September. The dermatologist was removing a few others, and I asked for this one, for cosmetic reasons. Now, a couple months later, I see that the scar has pigmentation growing through it already. It was only a shave biopsy, and this was a pretty big mole. The pathology result was benign.  The new pigmentation in the biopsy site looks darker and abnormal in shape.  But, I knew this could happen, and still, my anxious mind has me worrying about it anyway. I should have left it alone, I guess.

So, I'd say don't get into the idea of removing absolutely everything, unless they're highly suspicious and the dermatologists insists.  I also know waiting on these results can be very tough. Your situation doesn't sound horribly concerning. Try to hang in there.

Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline Liasw

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
Thankyou for your reassuring responses. The black spot seems a little smaller now (or at least hasn't gotten any worse) so that has calmed me down a little. 2 days left to wait until I get my results :( Im trying to be positive but now I have 2 other moles I am worried about (even though the doctor looked at them and said they were fine). Don't want to ask to get them cut out though and go through the anxious wait for results again! If this one is melanoma though Im guessing they will want to take them out too if Im worried about them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:46 AM »
That's what I was saying. Don't remove anything unnecessarily - if they say it's fine.  If you did get a shave biopsy, and it grows back later, it can look abnormal; and if it gets another biopsy, the pathologists can have a more difficult time accurately diagnosing it, because of the previous scar.

Okay, keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Tags: