Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Has a visit to a doctor actually made hypochondria WORSE?  (Read 495 times)

Offline xie323

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has a visit to a doctor actually made hypochondria WORSE?
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Has a visit to a doctor who tells you nothing is wrong actually made hypochondria WORSE? Just wondering.  Basically it means that alledged "symptoms" worsen or you believe they're worsening after the doctor tells you nothing's wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has a visit to a doctor actually made hypochondria WORSE?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:46:25 AM »
What it tells me is that you are not listening to your doctor. He says nothing is wrong at all and you second guess him. Think there must be something wrong. That he must have missed something. You have to learn to trust your doctor. Trust what he says to you. I see no point in even visiting a doctor if you are not going to believe what he tells you. That is what you have done here. It is not that the symptoms have got any worse at all. It is you feeding the fear. You refused to accept what the doctor told you. Something you have to work on.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
YES!  A doctor can say 'usually no cause for concern' and my mind goes to the ......... but what if... 

I've followed doctors into the hallway and made them tell me again that XYZ is okay. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »
When I see my doctor I feel better temporarily.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline foreverman23

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »
Yup. I mention a condition I think I have. He assures me I am fine and mentions off a symptom or 2 I would also have with said condition. I go home, and I end up keeping an eye out for those symptoms he mentioned -_-
Bookmark and Share
"Live to the fullest or die. And die you will anyway so start living" - Christopher S Hyatt Ph.D

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:34:30 AM »
not woprse exactly, it usually just shifts things onto something else. For example, I wen't to my Doctor a few weeks back about a set of symptoms. Got examined, got the all clear. Then symptoms I hadn't mentioned appeared magically.

Going to the doctor, at least for anything other than an open discussion about health anxiety (which I heartily recommend by the way) will not help health anxiety in the long term.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PennyPanic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:44 AM »
No clue, I'm always worries...hence the name "penny panic"
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
I think seeing a doctor will make my HA worse and that's why I refuse to go. The doctor will inevitably say that nothing is wrong or brush me off because I have anxiety(it's happened in the past when something really was wrong) and then I'll just worry more.

Plus, I have zero faith in the medical profession. It's all about the money for most of these doctors and not actually helping people feel better or contributing to the decline of death and disease. I'm a heart worrier and recently read that only 5% of heart arrhythmias are detected in a clinical setting. Everyone says if I'm so worried about my heart, go have an EKG done. I say why with statistics like that? EKG's are also prone to false readings. I had one years ago that said I had a borderline prolonged QT interval, which can be indicative of a deadly arrhythmia and has caused me so much worry but turns out, that reading is one of the most common false readings on an EKG. I'm sure you can see how confusing that is to someone with HA.

I never know what to be worried about anymore because of my HA and my lack of faith in the medical profession so my best solution is just to stay away all together. My wife tells me that if she thinks something is seriously wrong with me, she'll make sure that I get treatment but until she feels that way, staying away from the doctor is the best solution. 
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline LebronGOAT

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
I think seeing a doctor will make my HA worse and that's why I refuse to go. The doctor will inevitably say that nothing is wrong or brush me off because I have anxiety(it's happened in the past when something really was wrong) and then I'll just worry more.

Plus, I have zero faith in the medical profession. It's all about the money for most of these doctors and not actually helping people feel better or contributing to the decline of death and disease. I'm a heart worrier and recently read that only 5% of heart arrhythmias are detected in a clinical setting. Everyone says if I'm so worried about my heart, go have an EKG done. I say why with statistics like that? EKG's are also prone to false readings. I had one years ago that said I had a borderline prolonged QT interval, which can be indicative of a deadly arrhythmia and has caused me so much worry but turns out, that reading is one of the most common false readings on an EKG. I'm sure you can see how confusing that is to someone with HA.

I never know what to be worried about anymore because of my HA and my lack of faith in the medical profession so my best solution is just to stay away all together. My wife tells me that if she thinks something is seriously wrong with me, she'll make sure that I get treatment but until she feels that way, staying away from the doctor is the best solution.

I understand that going to the doctor would only reinforce your health anxiety, but I disagree about having zero faith in the medical profession. They were trained years and years through residency and research to have that trained eye to catch what's wrong. Yes, there are suspect doctors who might come across as businessmen, but that's where you have to do your research and find a doctor that's best for you. I thought the same way about my psychiatrist, but he won't even prescribe me medication because he and I think we can tackle the issue together.

To the normal person, going with your gut is a good idea. But added with health anxiety, it tends to blur the lines a bit, and you don't really know if you have an issue or if it's just in your head. In that case, reassurance is important in my opinion and seeing a doctor, a good one, would give me peace of mind. That's just how I think though, cheers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Then why are there people who are misdiagnosed or not diagnosed with deadly illnesses all the time? Or what about the information that says that 70% of women who come into the ER with heart attack symptoms are told it's heartburn or anxiety and are sent home to die?

I've seen so many accounts of people having serious illnesses that are brushed off as HA because doctors are just plain wrong and then those people die of their illness very shortly after being brushed off.

How does one have any faith in a system that routinely does things like this?

I know that part of my problem is also the fact that I'm on Medicaid and that there is no such thing as a "good doctor" in the Medicaid system. All the ones I've been to are overworked and tired of dealing with the dregs of society and are quick to review your chart, say "oh, you have a mental illness? I don't need to physically examine you but here's a referral to a psychiatrist because whatever physical problem you THINK you're having is because you're not on any/enough/the right medication."

For example: I suffered a neck injury last year and went in because it hurt all the time and was causing me some dizziness. The doctor asked why I was there and I explained that I had been hit in my neck and shoulder at a concert and that I'd been having pain and dizziness ever since. She looked at my chart and said "So it says here that you have an anxiety disorder?" I said yes and I'm on medication for it. She says "Well, I don't see the need to examine you but what I am going to do is refer you to one of our psychiatrists." (mind you, I already had one) I told her that wasn't necessary and that I just wanted my shoulder looked at because it really hurt and I was tired of being in pain. She then quickly got very nasty with me and told me that they didn't treat mental illness at that practice and that I needed to go to the psychiatrist she referred me to because my pain was due to my anxiety and then practically stormed out of the exam room. This was also the first time I'd ever been to a doctor in years so you can see why I just have absolutely no faith in the medical system whatsoever.
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
@dhaliadollface

You say 'what about all the misdiagnoses' but I ask you, what about all the right ones?

As anxiety folk (particularly if you're prone to googling - which is never a good idea) trying to find stats on how often things can go wrong while ignoring how often they go right is not a very rounded way of viewing the profession.

Do doctors make mistakes? Ocassionally. They are only human after all. But they also save thousands of lives each year.

You also have to consider how the media or Internet can blow out or sensationalise these results.

A problem that we health anxious folk tend to have is that we have a tendency to always know better. When in reality we NEED someone's external, objective opinion because our own is so warped. They are seeing us in an unbiased way. They KNOW what disease looks like.

It's as Abraham Lincoln once said 'You can't believe everything you read on the Internet'
Bookmark and Share

Offline LebronGOAT

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
And I'm sure many people do not get misdiagnosed, of course it all depends on the type of coverage you have, but regardless in the grand scheme of things, there are people (not many, not few) who get misdiagnosed. But this all comes down to research on your end finding a doctor who is capable of giving you the best care. Not everyone gets that privilege, but cases like being misdiagnosed (I was misdiagnosed too) are a step up from far and few between.

You have to consider that reports of people complaining ONLINE are those who could meet the criteria of health anxiety, stubbornness, bias due to a bad visit, and/or lack of knowledge. But there are definitely those who are knowledgeable about the issue. What I'm trying to say is that read everything online with a grain of salt. Communities like these are great because they provide reassurance in which you might not get at a doctor's office. Venture off to the wrong places online and your symptoms will start flaring up again. Generally, posts online about horror stories/concerns are in abundance because they seek comfort in a scary situation. But think about the ones who were properly diagnosed and are healthy and not posting online about it. That right there is the majority.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »

Trust me....doctors going into primary care today aren't doing it "for the money". The money is not that great when you consider low reimbursement from insurance companies, cost of schooling, malpractice insurance, license fees. Most private family practices can't even stay afloat in the modern medical world. Sure, you can make a decent living but the same can be said for dozens of other careers today. Surgery, dermatology, there is good money their. Not in primary care.

Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
My HA actually was triggered  by a doctor's visit after many years of it being under control!

When I turned 40 (5 years ago) I went to a new gynecologist who said that "a woman of my age needs to worry about more things now..."

After I regained my composure, I switched doctors but the damage was done.
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Tags: