Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone using Wellbutrin for anxiety?  (Read 361 times)

Offline Calikime

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone using Wellbutrin for anxiety?
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Wellbutrin for GAD?  I was put on it early November, but when I got up to 150 mgs. I had severe diarrhea.  This also happened years ago when I tried Zoloft.  When I took Zoloft I was fine until I had been on it for about a month.  I then stayed on it for another month or more hoping that this side effect would go away eventually, but it didn't.  I didn't think I would have the same side effect with Wellbutrin since it isn't an ssri, but here I am again.  Does anyone know if there is an average time for side effects to go away?  I am trying to gauge whether or not to give it more time.  It's interesting because after she prescribed Wellbutrin for me, I didn't see really anything where people even used this drug for GAD.  I see mostly other ssri's and Effexor, etc. but not Wellbutrin.  I used to use Buspar for many years but then when I went through a very stressful family situation a year ago, it seemed to stop working.  As I look back, I think that probably the Buspar just wasn't a strong enough medication for the amount of stress I was under.  My stress level isn't as extreme now, but I still have the daily tight muscles, especially the tightness in my stomach, along with the general feeling of anxiety.  Clonazapam works great but I can't take it all the time or I just end up needing more and more to get the same effect, so I only take it when I really need it, which is about 3 or 4 times a week.  I don't have a follow up appt with my GP until early January as she is out (and I don't care for the other practitioners in that practice), so I am kind of on my own till I see her.  I would be interested in hearing what other medications work for others on this forum.
Thanks, Calikime.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone using Wellbutrin for anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I was put on it early November, but when I got up to 150 mgs. I had severe diarrhea.

Unfortunately, diarrhea is a common Wellbutrin side-effect and may persist for a few weeks. As there is a danger of dehydration I suggest you discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist asap.

I didn't see really anything where people even used this drug for GAD.  I see mostly other ssri's and Effexor, etc. but not Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin is the most stimulating of the antidepressants, often too much so for those with anxiety disorders, but this is usually an advantage with depression.

Clonazapam works great but I can't take it all the time or I just end up needing more and more to get the same effect

This would be the exception, not the rule. Most with anxiety don't escalate their benzodiazepine (BZD) dose, in fact most gradually take less, as I've previously detailed in this post. You can even find the odds of developing tolerance quantified and posted on what is probably the most anti of anti BZD sites:

"The typical pattern of a drug dependence syndrome, with drug seeking behaviour, rapid tolerance, and escalation of dosage, is rare (according to Marks's calculations, one in every 5 million patient months "at risk")" Benzodiazepines on trial

If the quoted research is correct, and it sounds about right, then if all 314 million Americans took BZDs for 10 years, about 7,500 would develop tolerance. OTOH, about 320,000 will die in auto accidents.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »
Wellbutrin was one of the first medications I was put on for anxiety, about four years ago.  The doctor that prescribed it was under the impression that I was also depressed (if I was depressed, it was because of the anxiety).  I was on it for about a week.  30 minutes after I took each dose, my anxiety would go off the scale.  I called my doctor on a weekend, to tell them I was taking myself off the Wellbutrin, and they agreed with my call.  I have also had Crohn's disease in the past, and the last thing I need is a drug that is going to give me diarrhea.  I was on Remeron for anxiety, for several years, but it has just stopped working for me.  Have been on Celexa for eight days now, and pray that it works (too early to tell at this point).  I sure hope that you find what works for you.  All the best...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calikime

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:30:38 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the replies!  I have Microscopic Colitis so I too do not need something else to aggravate the diarrhea either. Although if I felt that sticking it out for several more weeks would cause the side effect to go away, I would do that in order to see how the medication works for me.  I recently read the book "Microscopic Colitis, what really causes MC, Celiac, and other autoimmune diseases"  It was a very good book and in it the author feels that anxiety is a precursor to getting these conditions.  Keep us posted about your latest medication and how it works for you.  Did you ever try Effexor?  Just curious since I saw it listed as a treatment for GAD. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amy38

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
I was on Wellbutrin and Celexa for GAD and panic disorder and didn't experience diarrhea from the meds, but I have IBS anyway and I'm lactose intolerant. Have you tried Effexor for your anxiety? Celexa and Effexor have been the only meds that have helped my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Wellbutrin did not produce any side effects for me but it also did nothing to help my anxiety...if anything it made it worse.  We each have our own unique body chemistry so what happened to me may be very different from what happens to you.  For me Zoloft was the wonder drug...8 weeks in and only a little extra sweating that persists, although I do have yogurt every morning to help keep my guts happy.  Maybe try some active yogurt cultures or acidophilus (available at the health food store)?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: