Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack  (Read 303 times)

Offline Honeybean2006

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
Hey guys... Today was a really bad day for me. I went out shopping and I was driving down the road normally. Sitting at the stop light, then all of a sudden I got a weird feeling come over me. It like it started in my head and went from there... I had to get out of the car. I immediately got out. At the stop light. Once ppl starting honking I got back in and pulled over to the nearest store. I was so feeles with fear that I called 911 for myself. I had ppl with me and they were very afraid as well. The fear was so intense I felt as if I was losing my mind or dying. It was something that I've never had happen before. I have gotten some of the sensations before but usually it's very mild. I was given Ativan (I think) at the hospital. All my test, blood work, urine, EKG, were normal. Vitals were great. I would really appreciate someone reassuring me that they have experienced something similar so that I can stop searching for another cause. The doc said panic attack but because I mostly have health anxiety I am looking for another cause and I feel my anxiety rising again. Someone please help me out. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »
When I have a nasty panic attack it comes on in a sudden flash and really throws me off and I lose confidence feeling the panic sensations intensely with thoughts of dread and doom so what happened to you makes sense to me.  Just know that it will pass.  Great that you saw the doc and are following up to learn to manage. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
That exact thing happened to me two years ago, and a couple of times after that. It also happened at a stop light, and almost always in the car. The first time it happened I thought I was literally going to pass out driving. It seemed like all my might to stay conscious, even only for a few seconds.

I have had plenty of tests and everything seems fine. I do believe that it was a panic attack. It's scary, but it does always pass.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline uno76

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »
It was a panic attack for sure. If you went to get checked and nothing was wrong...trust me, it was a panic attack.
I have had exact same thing happen to me lots of times and recently been getting them while driving so I know the feeling. I have health anxiety also and I always look for something else to possibly be wrong and it never is!! I am healthy as a horse but when anxiety hits I feel like I am very very ill. The pounding heart and nausea,weakness,adrenaline rush,weird spacey feelings...ugh. Glad you are ok and please know it's harmless. See a therapist if needed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious_MJJ

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
The fact that you feel  not secure despite the doctors checked all your vital organs and found nothing unhealthy is also part of your anxiety.
Just accept it. The symptoms are those of a panic attack. Yes, it can feel like life threatening, but it isn't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
I call it The Doom Wave. Ive had it a few times. Its usually from something completely and obviously not meaningful (But then, if panic followed logic, it wouldnt be panic.) I first experienced it with my Nintendo DS. I was watching its sleep light flash. For a brief moment I somehow believed that the slow blinking light ad something to do with my heart rate. Then there was this odd, absolute calm, like the water was pulling back, and moments later slammed into me and sent me into instant terror.

Thus, the name.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amy38

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
I have started having panic attacks while I'm driving too, and sometimes when I'm stuck at a red light. I start feeling trapped and feel like I need to escape. also, when in start driving at speeds over 40 mph I start feeling dizzy, light headed and panicky. Also, if the road doesn't have a shoulder on the side, I start feeling trapped and panicky. I am not driving anymore right now and it's really hindering my life. I am on Effexor, but it doesn't seem to be helping (which it normally does). I would recommend medication for anxiety if you aren't already on something. It will help your mind not focus on fears and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Honeybean2006

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »
I just recently started taking Lexopro daily and Ativam as needed... Anyone on those or heard about them?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: