Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: First psychiatrist appointment this coming Tuesday  (Read 961 times)

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: First psychiatrist appointment this coming Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
Well I took one Klonopin last night and it knocked me out.

What are the Valium and Klonopin doses?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline brendab1223

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »

What are the Valium and Klonopin doses?

Ian

Valium is 5 mg and Klonopin is .5 mg.

Had a headache all day but took Klonopin and the headache is going away. I've been reading these side effects are common in the beginning and you just need to give the body time to adjust. I have been feeling crappy but no anxiety at all today. I guess I have to decided if the benefits outweigh the side effects. Decisions decisions.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Valium is 5 mg and Klonopin is .5 mg.

This explains why Klonopin is having a more powerful effect as 5mg of Valium is equivalent to only about 0.25mg Klonopin, so you're on around double the dose. Your body should adjust to the sedation in a week or two, maybe less given you've been on Valium for a while. You probably will only need to take Klonopin twice a day for good results, however.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Thanks Ian. I'm actually not feeling too bad on the Klonopin tonight. I will probably be asleep soon though. I had no idea I was taking the equivalent of two valiums. No wonder. I mean I was taking two Valiums a day but it was one in the morning and one at night. I have more Valium to last me another month or so and I took one this morning instead of the Klonopin. Maybe I will try just the Paxil tomorrow morning and no Valium or Klonopin and see how it goes. I just don't feel comfortable taking the Klonopin any other time other than at bedtime but don't want to mix Valium and Klonopin without the doctors consent. And I know he won't consent. He doesn't want me on Valium at all. Being a newbie is no fun  :spineyes:.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
He doesn't want me on Valium at all.

Did he say why?

I actually think it's the better of the two. Diazepam occurs naturally in nature, you've been exposed to it in food all your life. Plus when it comes time to wean off the longer half-life and bigger tablet size make it much easier and simpler to quit than Klonopin.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 05:29:34 AM »
He just said it was an "old" medication and I was still feeling some anxiety on it.

I'm just waking up and feeling a little better than yesterday morning so far. I'm going to take my Paxil and either keep Valium or Klonopin in my pocket. I do feel a little headachy. Definitely not as bad as yesterday morning.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
He just said it was an "old" medication

This is true. Diazepam was first synthesized by plants many hundreds of years ago, probably to ward of insect attack, whereas clonazepam was developed in the late 1960s.

I do feel a little headachy. Definitely not as bad as yesterday morning.

Headache is a known side-effect, but Klonopin is also prescribed to treat migraines. In most cases the headaches diminish fairly quickly.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
Thanks Ian. Now that I'm fully up and about I do feel better. Took my Paxil and a Valium because I was anxious about being anxious. It feels as if I will be ok today. Over the weekend I'll see about taking the Klonopin twice instead of once a day and see how that goes. If I feel I won't be able to function on the Klonopin as prescribed (love it at nighttime) I will ask the psych if he can put me back on Valium or anything else that won't make me sleepy during the day.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
Diazepam was first synthesized by plants many hundreds of years ago

That should be many hundreds of millions of years ago.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »
If I feel I won't be able to function on the Klonopin as prescribed (love it at nighttime)

If you mean because it's a great sleeping pill then be aware that tolerance to the sedation builds very quickly, as little as a couple of weeks. Small doses - 25-50mg - of the sedating antidepressant trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better long term bet. It only begins to function as an antidepressant at doses above 150-225mg so it won't interfere with the Paxil.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 07:02:56 AM »
Good to know. I didn't take the Klonopin at all yesterday and slept like a log. Go figure. Tomorrow I'm going to try taking half the Klonopin and see how that goes. Will only try it for the weekend. I want to try it in different ways before I call my psych. Being that it's only been a few days since I started. If half continues to make me feel groggy to the point that I can't function during the day I'm just going to tell him to try me on something else for daytime.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
Well I cut the Klonopin in half over the weekend. A little better results than the entire .5 mg. I made a psych appt for this Friday to discuss the medications. Don't know why he won't discuss it over the phone. Another copay but oh well. Still scared to take it when I work but I had a refill of Valium left so I have some of that to use during the day. One day I will try half of the Klonopin this week to see how it works during the day. This medication thing is driving me nuts but I haven't had any anxiety attacks so I think I just need some adjustments and I should be good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »
Went to the psychiatrist today to discuss my issues with Klonopin. I told him it was way too strong and even cutting it in half didn't work. I can't function on that med not even once a day. It was horrible. He gave me a prescription for Xanax .25 mg 3x per day. I took it when I got home and it's actually not bad. I don't feel like a zombie and I'm relaxed, calm. I'm hoping this is the med that will work for me. Still taking the Paxil which hasn't given me any issues except headaches in the beginning. Now it's just a waiting game for the Paxil to fully kick in so I can start getting off the benzos. He told me something weird though. He said that people who have a history of alcohol or drug abuse don't have issues with Klonopin. He states that's probably why I couldn't handle it. I mean I have a social drink here and there and don't do drugs but I think it depends on the person and not if they're an alcoholic or drug addict. Doesn't matter. I'm feeling much much better tonight. This weekend I will take it as prescribed and see how it goes. I thank you all for listening and will keep you updated on my progress with this new med  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 07:20:07 AM »
Glad the Xanax is working for you.  In my belief, the first four to six weeks are crucial to the antidepressant user, because potential side effects may cause someone to discontinue with psychiatric medications.  Stopping now will become even a bigger problem later, however, this is where a good doctor comes in.  Knowing a first time user may experience side effects, your doctor is making adjustments to your medication.

Like you, I wasn't aware of the link between Klonopin and drug history, and maybe he came to that conclusion in his clinical experience, but I think it really doesn't matter, because he made adjustments to your medication, which means he is a doctor responsive to his patients.  There are bad psych doctors out there, as in any profession, but it's fortunate to match up with a responsive one from the start up.

I also think it's a great boost to have a good relationship with your doctor.  If you believe anxiety disorders are chronic, and from my belief they are, you should find a really good psychiatrist that you both like and trust, because your relationship may last for several years.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline brendab1223

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Just woke up and don't feel groggy or "hungover" like I did with Klonopin. This is wonderful. I think I've found a good doctor. He listens and seems to care. I will see him again next month for a follow up. I'm hoping this is the combination that will lead to beating or at least controlling this thing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: