Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: High pulse rate when sick  (Read 964 times)

Offline uno76

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
High pulse rate when sick
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
I have been having lots of anxiety lately and panic attacks have started again for the past two months. When I get sick I noticed my pulse always goes up anyway. I woke up with a scratchy throat and feeling under the weather so I went downstairs to let my dog out. When I walked back upstairs my heart rate hit the roof! I have been to a cardiologist before also and nothing abnormal was found,other than anxiety which induces tachycardia he said.
I just get so anxious when this happens because I wonder why?? I don't like the feeling and almost afraid to even get sick for fear of my pulse going up. Does anyone else get this?
I'm worked up because going to the doctor makes me nervous especially when having anxiety because they say wow your pulse is so fast. My doctor gave me a beta blocker prescription few wks ago but I haven't taken yet. I have had this med before and only had to take 1/4 tablet because that  small amount always helped my pulse. I only took as needed back then (years ago). Now I feel nervous to take the med because I haven't had it in do long and also I read about how it's dangerous to stop a beta blocker. If I take as needed I wonder how I will I be able to stop? I stopped before though but anxious and nervous to take this time although I may need to take it.
Oh and I never have high pulse when I haven't had a trigger to anxiety. I was doing great and haven't had high pulse for a few years. Now it's doing this again but I have had lots of triggers lately that had caused anxiety.
Can anyone help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Poke This Member
Re: High pulse rate when sick
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
When your sick, feverish, or in pain your pulse will naturally go up. This is the body responding to exactly what it's suppose to do. It should go back down once you recover. Try not to let it worry you.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline uno76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »
Yes it will go up,but mine goes up much higher due to anxiety. It is higher during sickness and isn't so noticeable when I haven't been stressed but if I am having lots of anxiety,it is very high and noticeable. Thanks...trying not to worry about it,but hard not to when all you feel is a pounding heart when moving around or walking stairs. It's only this bad when I am stressed or have gotten stressed enough to cause panic attacks. Thanks for replying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Michael-Eden

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52:25 AM »
Hello uno,
If it helps at I'll I'm on the tail end of a nasty stomach bug, four days so far, and not only my pulse has been high but my blood pressure as well. Like the other comment stated it's pretty normal for the body to have weird stuff like racing pulse( especially when moving around ) nerve issues, bp spikes or lows, etc when you're sick.

I know the anxiety makes it worse, it's hard not to notice a change in heart rate and hard not to focus on it, I've been going through it my self. Add to that that the upsets have caused nonstop acid reflux and gas pains and I was pretty much about to go into the er thinking it was my heart. But in the end it's good old anxiety, paired with your system already being run down.
Try and keep distracted and rest and get better. I find listing to music I like with head phones in( drowns out hearing your pulse ) and drink ing a lot of water, seems to be helping a lot.
I wish you the best! Just try and get over the bug you have, give it a few days, then maybe if you still have concerns go talk to the doctor. It's always best to have it looked at if you sin early feel it's something aside from the anxiety, worst that will happen is you'll know what's going on.  :happy0151:.
Bookmark and Share
"what matters most is
how well you
walk in the
fire."
Charles Bukowski

Offline uno76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »
Yea,deep down inside I know it's the illness paired with anxiety. I hate it does me this way. It makes you so tired also. I feel better hearing others as you that deal with same thing. I should know by now how my body works and as many times as my heart had been checked I should know what to expect. It's like I feel like all of it is new when I get this bad. I thank you for your reply and hope you feel better soon.I am feeling a little better today. Hope the adrenaline is down once I get up and move around. You are right,sickness make all of these things happen. My bp is normally ok when sick but I know it can go up or down when sick. I felt weird head sensations and some minor dizziness also but my sinuses were bad also.
Thanks again.

Hello uno,
If it helps at I'll I'm on the tail end of a nasty stomach bug, four days so far, and not only my pulse has been high but my blood pressure as well. Like the other comment stated it's pretty normal for the body to have weird stuff like racing pulse( especially when moving around ) nerve issues, bp spikes or lows, etc when you're sick.

I know the anxiety makes it worse, it's hard not to notice a change in heart rate and hard not to focus on it, I've been going through it my self. Add to that that the upsets have caused nonstop acid reflux and gas pains and I was pretty much about to go into the er thinking it was my heart. But in the end it's good old anxiety, paired with your system already being run down.
Try and keep distracted and rest and get better. I find listing to music I like with head phones in( drowns out hearing your pulse ) and drink ing a lot of water, seems to be helping a lot.
I wish you the best! Just try and get over the bug you have, give it a few days, then maybe if you still have concerns go talk to the doctor. It's always best to have it looked at if you sin early feel it's something aside from the anxiety, worst that will happen is you'll know what's going on.  :happy0151:.
Bookmark and Share

Offline melzmoda

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:54 AM »
What beta blocker are you prescribed? I have one too and it's such a low does that it's ok to take I prn.  Whenever I feel my pulse get out of control I take it and that usually does the trick.  I might add that I too feel the difference in my pulse when I'm sick and my anxiety gets crazy! It's a horrible cycle I wish I could break! Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline uno76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
Wow,I am so sorry for the delay in my response but I couldn't seem to find where to pull my replies to the posts up from!! Silly me! I apologize. I wasn't ignoring anyone.
I was prescribed Metoprolol. I haven't had to use yet but I have used it before yrs ago when I first started having panic attacks. I do dread the racing heart. I just had it race at my endocrinologist the other day - nervous about some symptoms I've had. I feel so drained from all the anxiety I've had the past few months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:36:38 PM »
Uno, yes, I get a higher pulse, too,whne I'm sick with a fever.  ANother way the body speeds up the recovery process, I guess, but I'm no doctor.

I understand your fear about taking the beta blocker.  I woud be fightened ,too, but nobody has been more prone to tachycardia than my mother and she is also very adverse to taking meds.  Well, they got her on a bet blocker...she's 84...and she has finally, after 50 years of worrying about heart, stopped worying about it.  So I guess there's something to be said or them.  I understand many people on the chat are on beta blockers.
They prescribed metoprolol for my mother and she loves it.

You take care, and I'll talk soon with you soon on the chat.  Hope you're feeling better.

Julie A. Cook

Bookmark and Share

Offline uno76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »
Hey Julie!
Okay well great. Mine has been pretty normal but it was high at my appt Thursday. It was also high this morning at church :( I was really anxious worrying about my health.
I guess your mother has proven that it's nothing wrong with our hearts. I've gotta believe that. I just focus on my symptoms and it scares me,although my cardiologist checked me 5 yrs ago and said I was fine.
Sure miss chat! Hope to see you when it's back up.
 :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline terriberryfuller

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
my heart rate is ALWAYS super high when i am sick. i hate it, too. makes me think there is something else going on, physically. one of the worst things that happen to me with anxiety are the physical symptoms. because then these symptoms being on my HA full swing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RRaider95

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
It is a well-known medical fact that heart rate goes up when sick, especially if there is a fever involved.  There is even a term "febrile tachycardia" to describe it.  Don't Google it, though!   :angry-smiley-034:

This is coming from a chronic heart-worrier myself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: