Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: cognitive behaviour therapy for driving  (Read 130 times)

Offline fiona

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
cognitive behaviour therapy for driving
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:05:30 AM »
have any of you actually received cognitive behavior therapy for fear of getting a panic attack while driving< can anyone share some insight as to how it helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kandydk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: cognitive behaviour therapy for driving
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »
Yes, I used to be apprehensive about driving long distances by myself. My therapist gave me some tools to help that I still use when I start to feel nervous. Here are some that helped me;

1. Cleaned my car out of any trash/ clutter
2. Had my cell phone ready dialed to a friend/ relative
3. Keep the radio off or just on talk radio
4. Focus on the engine sounds, how it differs when you accelerate or brake
5. Talk out my route like I was explaining it to someone as I drive ( like a GPS)

Maybe this will shed some light on what a therapist might do.  Hope it helps. Happy Travels!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PinkIcePrincess

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Hi Fiona,
  Yes I did therapy to help me with my agoraphobia and getting back out and driving it sure helps !!
  You have to start slowing and don't push yourself quickly and then set yourself up for failure or scare yourself so bad you have a set back..
 1. Go out and set in your car everyday is possible and just think of positive thoughts and how fun it will be to get back and drive and go places.
 2. Back the car up and just do that slowly back and forth you don't need to leave the driveway ..
 3. Take small trips just around the block or up and down a road with little traffic.. take your time no need to drive fast people can go around let them honk their horns or say words they shouldn't lol I didn't care..
 4. Take a bottle of water and have a cell phone with you if you have one.. it will bring you comfort and the water sure helps me ..
 5. If you feel safe with someone riding with you in the beginning that will help then that is something you can do then slowly do it on your own.
 6. Don't beat yourself up okay that doesn't help at all.. Breathe and Positive Self talk will help also good music you enjoy.
 7. Set a Goal like for me was just going to the CVS Pharmacy wow once I drove there and walked in I smelled beautiful things and the colors were so bright and it felt like Heaven to me because of being a Prisoner in my Home for so long the Freedom was AWESOME!! I knew that day I would be okay to drive!!
  There are so many things to see out there and driving is needed and you can and will do it..  Retraining the Brain and Facing the Fears is the key..... if you feel anxiety don't run from it face it head on and then once you do that anxiety starts fading and fading...
  The Body Symptoms are not fun at all and scary but they can not Kill you or hurt you so tell yourself those things I CAN DO IT.. IT WONT HURT ME... YOU CAN NOT BEAT ME ANXIETY... just some examples.. Make you some index cards with Positive Statements on them..
  I am not 100% cured nope but I am doing good!!

Good Luck and PUSH yourself!! you can do this!
Therapy will sure help!
PinkIcePrincess :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline fiona

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »
Thanks guys, that was really such useful information!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: