Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: clonazepam to sedating, XANAX??????  (Read 278 times)

Offline laineyk

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
clonazepam to sedating, XANAX??????
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
 I find two things with clonazepam, it helps me sleep, no doubt but when I need it during the day for my anxiety it doesn't really take the anxiety away completely but it makes me more lethargic and I have fibromyalgia so I don't need more lethargy.

wondering if anyone went to back to Xanax for that reason?

I have taken Xanax in the past and it never made me feel so zoned out.

Oh and before you all jump on the "take an antidepressant" bandwagon am on one have been on one and many others.

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: clonazepam to sedating, XANAX??????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
I find two things with clonazepam, it helps me sleep, no doubt but when I need it during the day for my anxiety it doesn't really take the anxiety away completely but it makes me more lethargic and I have fibromyalgia so I don't need more lethargy.

You could try taking the entire daily dose at night. Clonazepam has a long half-life so usually doesn't need to be taken in split doses, especially when it is taken daily.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline laineyk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »
to answer your question, yes I had increased the dose all the way to the max 200mg with no change. so I have now weaned back down to original dose of 50mg but still have anxiety pretty bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
to answer your question, yes I had increased the dose all the way to the max 200mg with no change. so I have now weaned back down to original dose of 50mg but still have anxiety pretty bad.

Have you trued any non SSRIs in the past? The SNRIs Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), or one of the tricyclics such as Tofranil (imipramine) or Elavil (amitriptyline)? If not, they would be worth considering.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline laineyk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
insights; no I haven't tried any of the afore mentioned meds except one SSNRI which was Effexor.

so you think, and I definitely will talk to Dr first, that try taking the whole 1 mg of clonazepam at night? Hmmmmm, never thought of that.

Just an update, I switched to Xanax at the exact same time as I tried to drop from 50mgs to 25mgs of my Zoloft....within day four I was a total mess.

I feel like I am needing the Xanax way more, have taken 1.5 mg of it last couple days....So hubby and I both 1st decided that I reinstated the Zoloft to 50mgs and will have to wean off that at 10% at a time. CNS has been totally ruined by my upping and downing on the doses.

2nd Hubby feels that I should go back to clonazepam because at least I wasn't totally crawling out of my skin.

so I put a call in to pdoc (have an apt on the 6th) to see if they could see me sooner and of course, NO. so left message for her to call me but if hx says anything, I will not hear from her. She is so busy she has NEVER returned a call to me.

well I should say I only have tried calling one other time.

any feedback would be great
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
insights; no I haven't tried any of the afore mentioned meds except one SSNRI which was Effexor.

Unless you were taking at least 150mg/day it was only acting as a SSRI.

Just an update, I switched to Xanax at the exact same time as I tried to drop from 50mgs to 25mgs of my Zoloft....within day four I was a total mess.

Its not a good idea to change 2 things at once because if there is a problem you don't know which is causing it. In this case it may have been either Zoloft withdrawal effects, or something about the Xanax, possibly a dose mismatch.

CNS has been totally ruined by my upping and downing on the doses.

Ruined no, but you do need to get onto something effective asap. If Zoloft wasn't working at 200mg then it is even less likely to at 50mg which is the lowest potential therapeutic dose.

2nd Hubby feels that I should go back to clonazepam because at least I wasn't totally crawling out of my skin.

It may or may not help as it depends on what is causing it. I suspect the Zoloft dose reduction is the likely culprit.

Although it is probably having no affect on your anxiety, I think you should go back onto 50mg of Zoloft until you see your doctor to work out where you go from here with antidepressants. Once you're stabilized on an effective med seriously consider remaining on it permanently. The evidence suggests that the fewer changes made with antidepressants the better.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
I agree that taking the clonazepam at night would probably be better. Most of what i've heard is that Xanax is more sedating, but that is only from talking to a few people i know who have taken it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: