Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Things that help  (Read 24096 times)

Offline andiemarie

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Things that help
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
Yoga is pretty much my saving grace right now. It's the only thing that even remotely helps keep my anxiety under control.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mandy324

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
Listen to relaxing music, lay in the sun, watch a funny movie, play with your pet if you have one...
EXERCISE helps a lot... even walking for 30 minutes while listening to so songs that hype you up,
affirmations also help me, praise yourself from coming down from an attack... that helps too !
Hugs to you all!!!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety, and fear

Offline tamay138

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
I found this hot tea that has passionflower in it.  I drink it at night mostly.  Put in some honey for a natural sweetener. 

Hot baths, reading, this site (knowing I'm not alone), walking the dog (playing with the dog)
Bookmark and Share

Offline blueridgemtns

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2013, 11:35:38 AM »
Very simple Qi Gong movements.  Very easy to learn...can learn in 5 minutes.  I was amazed at how such simple movements can immediately reduce my anxiety....

This is coming from someone that has tried everything under the sun (therapy + meds)....

Bookmark and Share

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2013, 07:40:32 AM »
I found Scott's blog: http://www.depression2expression.blogspot.ca to be very helpful. He knows how to get the point across. Thought others may enjoy him, too. You can also add him to 0409. He has several video's on YOUTUBE which you will see on his blog. I really liked the one, "Screw the Stigma." We must each find our own path and journey for healing. His videos, I find helpful, for anxiety, panic and depression.

I also found several YOUTUBE video's by Jon Kabat-Zinn. "Wherever you go, there you are."

Wishing you well on your path to healing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
Acute panic:
  • Christmas lights, candles, and/or other things that glow.
  • Ballet (watching, although I bet it'd be theraputic to perform it as well!)
  • Wild sex.
  • Board games.
  • Laughing -- funny movie, etc.
  • Human interaction -- paradoxical, but it works sometimes.
  • Guided breath meditations -- PM me for the one I use, I don't think it's available online anywhere.
  • Reflecting on the fact that you cannot trust your body when you're anxious. It makes you feel things that are only due to anxiety and nothing more sinister.

Chronic anxiety:
  • Exercise.
  • Stretch. Yoga? I've never tried it. Probably should.
  • Eat healthy, most of the time. Indulge the rest of the time.
  • Challenge yourself.
  • Surround yourself with people who give off positive energy.
  • Try to find a kindred spirit in someone who you admire who's especially free-wheeling, care-free, and fearless. Doesn't have to be someone you know. (Anthony Bourdain for me.)
  • I'm still working on this list.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopeful78

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • www.everylastbreath.com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »
I give myself permission to take GOOD care of myself:)
Bookmark and Share
www.everylastbreath.com::A blog about life, panic and purpose.

Offline danilee4me

• There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • LIFE IS GOOD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
I have been dealing with anxiety for the past couple of years but it got very intense six months ago when my mother-in-law passed away. I am 28, newly married and am a stay at home Mom to a 2.5 year old. Before all of this life was happy, full of light and love and now it's a continuous struggle to find that happy place. Ive tried everything from perscription drugs to natural supplements, been tested and tested and tested for just about everything. Nothing has done much for me. I have had all the physical symptoms that everyone else has had. Severe foggy head, nausea, muscle twitches and aches, lightheadedness or dizzy, loss of appetite, fatigue, insomnia etc etc.  The list can go on and on...However, I truly believe there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel and here are some of the things that have helped me along the way:

1. Remember you have anxiety, not a life threatening disease or illness. You don't have a brain tumor, you're not going crazy and going to the doctor repeatedly will only leave you with unecessary medical bills. You're healthy and not going to die or end up in a psych ward. Stop googling! REMEMBER THIS ALWAYS!

2. RELAX! It is hard especially when you have life to deal with but you can find ways. Meditate in the morning and at night too. YouTube has some great guided meditation. Get a massage. Whether it's a weekly professional massage or from your spouse or friend. ACUPUNCTURE! I can't say enough about acupuncture. Especially once you find the right person for the job. STRETCH and BREATH. Do 20 minutes of stretching and deep breathing a day. TAKE A BATH. SMELL SOME ESSENTIAL OILS. GO OUTSIDE AND JUST RELAX.

3. STOP THINKING SO MUCH AND DO! This may be the hardest part(it is for me anyways). How to turn off your brain? Well unfortunately, you can't or you'd be the Dalai Lama but you can change your thought pattern. You can replace the negative thoughts with positive ones. Instead of constantly assessing how you're feeling and telling yourself you feel "sick" or "tired" replace it with positive affirmations. "I'm doing the best I can" or "I can see stressful moments as challenges".  STAY POSITIVE and DISTRACT YOURSELF A BIT.

4. EXERCISE. "A BODY IN MOTION STAYS IN MOTION. A BODY IN REST STAYS IN REST." Even the days you don't feel like it. Push yourself. Even if it's just 10 push ups. Your brain will thank you later.

5. EAT HEALTHY. Eating is very important and what you eat is even more important. Stay away from things containing caffeine like soda, coffee, chocolate and teas. Also sugars and processed foods. Try smoothies in the morning if it's hard to eat. If you can however, protein is better for all day energy. The more protein in a day the more fuel you'll give to your brain. Also foods containing vitamin B's and magnesium are great for combating anxiety.

6. TAKE A COLD SHOWER.  It sounds crazy but if you can do it you can conquer just about anything. It's also proven to help anxiety/ depression. If you've never tried it give it a go at the end of your normal warm shower. Turn it cold and stay in for at least 2-3 minutes. It's hard as heck but the results are amazing.

7. REST TOO! If you can nap during the day do it. More importantly get at least 8 hours of sleep. If you're having a hard time sleeping or on an unusual sleep pattern try turning off the TV and reading before bed or meditate.  If your brain won't shut up try doing the plank for 30 seconds, stretching, take a few deep breaths and get back into bed. If you really want to experiment. Turn off your phone and unplug everything that is electric and near you while you sleep. This sounds crazy but it can make a difference.

8. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. The saddest part of this journey for me so far is realizing that you can't rely on anyone else to get you better or to fix you. You have to rely on you. At your weakest moments you have to boost yourself back up by giving yourself a hug, telling yourself it will be ok and not letting your fear or urge to give up (because it's easier) consume you. You have to become your biggest fan. Find love and support in family, friends, even your God but don't rely on them to be able to magically cure you of all your inner turmoil. Only you can do that.

9. STOP BEING SELFISH. I know that sounds harsh but those who suffer from anxiety tend to concentrate on themselves A LOT. Try doing something kind for someone else, even if it's a stranger. You'll feel good and make someone else's day as well.

10. SMILE. You're going to be ok. You really are.  You're healthy, strong and mentally capable of creating the outcome that you desire.  If you want to get through this you will. Stop seeking answers on the outside and really look within. You'll find yourself again and come out even stronger and even more capable of taking on the world.

*if you can afford it, you can also find a therapist who has overcome anxiety and setup appointments to go talk to them. Talking helps too.  Sometimes repetitive reminders that you can overcome what you're going through can help as well. If you can't find a good therapist try an anxiety meet up group. 

Bookmark and Share
I am not afraid!

Offline Amalthea

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
Hi!  I'm new here, and this is one of my favourite threads I've found so far.  Here are a few things that help me:

- Exercise.  If I'm not feeling up to making it to the gym, a long walk or some yoga at home can help.

- Time outdoors.  Being in my garden is good, but getting out of the city and fully emersed into nature often brings a flood of relief.  The smell of trees, the sounds of birds and the sight of lapping water are so soothing.

- Reading an engrossing or humorous book.

- Pepperpint oil rubbed on my neck.  Helps promote feelings of calm, and relax sore muscles.

- Chamomile or peppermint tea.   Both help stomach upset and are calming.

- My secret weapon - pumpkin seeds.  High in magnesium and zinc.  Sometimes I get instant relief soon after eating a handful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmomarty

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
Hi, this is something I've done for some time now, still adding stuff to my list. I've also added things that make anxiety worse. Sorry for the english :)

Also, please understand that everybody is different and what works on me may not work on you...

What seems to work (for me):

Coffee (but no more than 3-4 cups per day)
Yogurt + applesauce or olive oil during the evening
Taking a shower + Dressing well etc... try to feel good in your body
Cardio (running, swimming, badminton, etc.) At the end of the afternoon / evening
Talking with someone
Walking
Move substantially in one of my projects
To surpass myself / To feel that I'm improving
An unexpected victory
Depriving myself to better appreciate later
Laugh (with friends)
Take the Morning sun
To get up early in the morning: the world is mine !
Holidays at the seaside
To understand something very important... that can be a new perspective on life, a new way of seeing music if you do music or whatever
Meditate for a few minutes
To feel "in control"
Healthy eating and in little quantity
Cleaning my room
Being with friends and laugh me / play / play sports / go on holiday
Taking my time in my actions, my words(do not hesitate to refocus on simple things)
Doing what I want to do on the moment (do not force myself to do what I do not like) : it means that if i wake up and i know i have to do sthg but i don't want to, i would rather do sthg that really enthusiasts and that i would have to do anyway in the future...
To have a structure, to have emulation, to do an activity with others 
Listening to music
improvising
Making mechanical things and when anxiety is at peak
Distractions when anxiety rises : the more powerful the anxiety, the more powerful must be the distraction
Making music
Think of a horrible situation, much worse than mine and realize how lucky i am

What seems to make things worse:

To not be organized in my free-time
Smoking
Thinking about my anxieties during the evening
Eating sugar/carbs
Too much alcohol
To Be indecisive
To Compare myself to others
Asking myself too many questions
Losing too much in a game or other type of competition...
Not feeling respected, to be hurt by the behavior of others
Setting goals too high
Bookmark and Share

Tags: