Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: ALS worries  (Read 314 times)

Offline shen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS worries
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »
i've posted on here before, i have suffered from HA in the past.

This started in Mid August, i had just seperated from my wife. after weeks of stressful fights i had an exact moment where i felt so angry/depressed/stressed that i started to twitch all over my body. i instantly started to search neuro diseases, i spent the weekend worrying about that. then i started to experience night sweats, twitched like crazy at night, couldn't sleep. since then i have experienced buzzing sensation in my feet, urine retention hot/cold sensation all througout my body. i went for an mri and thought i had calmed down once it was clear. however then i started to experience excess saliva. i tried to do yoga and the same night had difficulty swallowing and i feel a lump in my throat. i have already feared worrying about ms/parkinson.
i don't know how everything has just collapsed. i keep trying to tell myself that the stress caused my body these sensations however once i start believing that another symptom returns. i also learned that a brain mri doesn't necessarily clear als. I don't know if i should ask the dr for a emg test. im stuck. i started to meditate lately and i thought that was helping but i keep getting more symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS worries
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
Hey Shen .... you are not alone. Take some comfort in that you ahve had a clear MRI. Thats is great news!

Then....reflect on this,

- You started having symptoms only after fighting and suffering a huge stressor....the loss of your wife.
 - You searched Dr. Google and the cycle of sensation - > fear - > sensation heightened - > fear started
 - Your ansiety increased and so did your symptoms.
 - You had a clear MRI....great news
 - ALS is very progressive and your symptoms don't really match up.

It sounds to me like you are just having anxiety overload....and I am right there with you man. I have an MS fear but my Dr. doesn't think I should have an MRI in order to break my searching for answers with tests cycle. Mine all started like you....mild symptoms, dr. google and it has exploded. As soon as I calm down and think its all getting better something else pops up and the cycle repeats.

Try and think logically..sounds like your HA is getting the best of you

Bookmark and Share

Offline kj94702

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
Shen,
You have good company on this board. The unholy trinity of hypochondriacs is MS, ALS and Parkinson's. I am in the deep throes of an MS scare right now so I can relate to your struggles. I would happily trade my symptoms for yours, however, given that you have a clean MRI.

As Pingman suggested, there is nothing in your story that sounds like ALS at all. It does sound quite a bit like sleep deprivation and depression, however. My suspicion is that these symptoms somehow take your mind off of your wife. When viewed in this way, they may serve some function for you. It may be worth considering talking to someone about the anguish of your breakup.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
I wanted to let you both know i thank you for replying back to me. this is a very hard time for me especially since my wife has showed me no support.
its hard talking to other ppl about this since they haven`t experience HA. i still have hope i`ll be back to normal one day
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dmcrae22

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »
I've been down this ALS fear road and it can be absolutely consuming. Mine happened back in April and lasted really all the way through July. Much like you, I had just gone through dreadfully stressful period and the twitches flared up. I did the whole google thing and the thought of ALS just dominated my life for about the next two months. I was doing all sorts of strength tests, reading everything google would give me to feed my fear and was second guessing my doctor even though he had given me the all clear. It's really hard to accept that anxiety causes these strange physical reactions and I think the combination of how devastating ALS is along with it having no cure makes it all the more attractive for anxiety. I essentially spent a month just waiting for the disease to progress and lived in constant fear. I couldn't sleep well and my work and family was suffering. But it gets better with time. It just takes time for your body to slowly get back to "normal". One doctor told your body just can't flip a switch and cut off and it just takes some time.

But I agree with the other posters that your symptoms don't sound like ALS. I unfortunately spent an amazing amount of time studying ALS and heres a couple things that I hope help:

- ALS doesn't start with body-wide twitches. It always starts in a focal area and that area is left useless before moving to other parts of the body.
- ALS wouldn't effect both your feet and throat at the same time. Again, it starts in one place and then progresses through the body.
- Contrary to what a google search tells you, twitching is not a defining symptom of ALS much like headaches are not a defining symptom of brain tumors. For a doctor to even consider ALS there has to be clinical weakness. It's not that you feel weak or tired but that you literally cannot do things like open a door or walk.

The best things that helped me were to first stop the google searches. I was an addict for that and constantly thought I was going to find some kind of reassurance and all I found was more fear. And then I just started giving small projects to do so that my mind would switch gears from constantly monitoring my body. Things like weeding a flower bed or repairing a window. Hope this helps and as others have mentioned, this site is great as everyone understands how scary this stuff is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
i thought i was doing better....last few days i've been feeling weakness in my right leg and arm....
now i'm just depressed....i did try to test out with weights and i could pick up the same weight but something doesn't feel right

im thinking about going for an EMG and nerve conductor  test.

the only thing i can relate this to anxiety is that i'm having a weak feeling in my right shoulder, i've been twitching all over my body for the last 5 months. the twitching did begin during a very stressful time. i was told not to worry unless there is some sort of weakness which is now what im feeling.

has anyone gone for an emg test ? how does it work as far as them determining als ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
I was scared of ALS last year and what neurologist said to me is that atrophy of muscles is the first and main sign of ALS. For example, your hand would weaken so much that you woudn't be able to lock your doors. You wouldn't "feel" weakness in arms or legs, they would actually be very weak. Which means, you wouldn't be able to lift same weights. Feeling weakness is sign of anxiety.

that i started to twitch all over my body

It's just anxiety. Twitching from ALS doesn't come like that and goes away. If you had ALS, you would first have atrophy in leg or arm and then twitching would start and it wouldn't go away because like someone already said ALS is very progressive disease and symptoms doesn't get better.

Take care
Bookmark and Share

Tags: