Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Self Harm  (Read 296 times)

Offline tortured

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Self Harm
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
I have been trying to learn how to deal with my PTSD and dissociation that goes a long with it in a non-destructive way...so far I have been unsuccessful.
I just don't know what to do anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Self Harm
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:36:55 AM »
What exactly does self harm do to help you out? If we are to be honest the answer would be nothing. It leaves marks on the body and the arms. Ones you always have to cover up. The feeling you get from it only last a few minutes and then you are back feeling as you did before you did any self harm. With self harm we may become used to a certain amount of pain. Then we cut too deep by mistake. Can happen. Best off using elastic bands. Not tight ones. We don't want to cut the blood flow off. If you feel you must self harm let the elastic band sling on your wrist. But keep a journal too. Of reasons that made you want to self harm. So you can read it back and see where changes have to be made. Areas you have to address.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Self Harm
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:20:57 AM »
The trick is in learning that there is no "way to deal with" what you're experiencing. The best thing you can do is accept the symptoms for what they are and do the things you want to do in life as best you can. Viewing the symptoms as a problem to be solved can lead to temporary solutions that aren't healthy.

Once you're able to manage that intolerable feeling of negative emotions and accept it for what it is, you may be able to stop self-harming. It's not even close to easy... obviously. But developing the ability to accept extreme negative emotions is what will allow you to stop self-harming. Hopefully you can direct your actions in a direction that reduces your stress level, which will lessen the feelings over time.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: