Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lung cancer scare is ruining my life, literally!!!  (Read 553 times)

Offline jra1987

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lung cancer scare is ruining my life, literally!!!
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:48:41 PM »
I have general anxiety disorder, depression and am most definitely a hypochondriac. In the last few weeks I have thought I had leukemia, esophageal cancer and now lung cancer. 1 month ago i found a swollen lymph node on my neck, followed by trouble swallowing, and left middle finger joint pain. I had several xrays, complete blood counts, a neck ct scan and a barium swallow done. All of the tests were negative for anything. The drs kept treating me for anxiety with all different kinds of medicines. I was still convinced I had lung cancer and finally got a doctor to do a chest ct scan. I started producing alot of mucus and coughed up bloody mucus twice. The CT showed pneumonia and the dr has me on antibiotics. I am still convinced I have lung cancer. The drs keep telling me if the radiologist thought there was a chance it could be cancer he would have said something. The coughing has definitely decreased and i have not coughed up blood in 3 or 4 days so maybe the antibiotics are helping. In the mean time I am so convinced I have lung cancer that my kids had to move back home with family cuz i got too sick to take care of them and my fiance is about to leave me. The symptoms im still having are; middle finger joint pain (going on for 3 weeks now) and a minor cough. I also lost 15 pounds in a few weeks, but was not eating much. Is this my hypochondria or should i be concerned. Do you think a radiologist or Emergency room dr would really tell me if they thought there was a chance it could be cancer? HELP!!!!!! Im losing my mind and my family!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NinaNoury

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lung cancer scare is ruining my life, literally!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
Hi, I'm new here as well. (Your profile says just joined). Anyway, I have had the same scares and concerns as you. I just want to say that with all those tests having been done, I am pretty positive they would have found something. I completely understand how hypochondria can possibly disrupt a relationship because I have it and my partner was getting really fed up with me and my several trips to the E.R and ridiculous worries that really I'm not in any risk factor for. But this sickness we suffer, is in our minds. Most likely not anything seriously physically wrong with us. Pneumonia is a tough thing to deal with! It can be scary and mimic other things. But if your symptoms are less while on the antibiotic, you can be assured that that is probably what's going on. By the way, did you mention your age? Age can play a huge factor in cancer. Lung cancer mostly comes to smokers 8/10 times. (I've done plenttty of research.) Anxiety can manifest itself on us physically is so many horrible ways. When I was going through a really horrible month of getting my HA really bad, I lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks. I barely had any appetite at all and my digestive system was messing up BAD! I thought I had cancer from the weight loss and no appetite and I also had random pains that I couldn't explain. I had muscle twitching everywhere and was convinced I was dying from something that multiple doctors had over looked. I thought I had a blood clot in my lung and made them take 15 chest xrays in a period of two months. That scared me because I realized how much radiation I recieved so then I thought, maybe I should just trust the doctors judgment and not subject myself into useless xrays. All though, your xrays were very usefull because they detected pneumonia. It can be so hard to calm down when we're convinced that something is wrong with us. It can be even harder to calm down when we think of possibly dying from said condition.  What we have to tell ourselves though,
are we in the risk factor for the conditions we are concerned of? If so, how many risk factors?Is it realistic? Are my symptoms severe?
Lung cancer symptoms are Wheezing, difficulty swallowing,hoarseness,chest pain, coughing,and hemoptysis. Symptoms of pneumonia are
Cough. You will likely cough up mucus (sputum) from your lungs. Mucus may be rusty or green or tinged with blood.
Fever.
Fast breathing and feeling short of breath.
Shaking and "teeth-chattering" chills.
Chest pain that often feels worse when you cough or breathe in.
Fast heartbeat.
Feeling very tired or very weak.
Nausea and vomiting.
Diarrhea.
 So there are some similar symptoms.  Radiologists are trained to read your xrays and detect different conditions. I'm sure they can tell the difference between pneumonia and lung cancer. I don't know if I helped you any.  I tried my best. But please, know that you are not alone in your fears and that most likely the biggest issue that we have, is our hypochondria. I do wish that your relationships work out and that you can take care of your kids soon enough. Good luck.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Online soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
100% absolutely!  If they thought there was a problem, you would know.  Several people view your scans, not just the Dr or the radiologist.  They are also read over by a senior radiologist so there is second set of expert eyes. 

Pneumonia is horrible and really wipes you out.  That could be another reason why you're experiencing increased anxiety, your body is worn out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »
I have an indeterminate lung nodule & was so scared, lost weight
got more testing & it's increased my cancer risk.. and I feel
worse. wish I'd kept my new HA in check and stuck with low dose
ct to check it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: