Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Worried About Heart!  (Read 928 times)

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried About Heart!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
Nobody with anxiety should be drinking alcohol if they can't cope with the symptoms. Why? Well, drinking alcohol temporarily raises serotonin levels in a burst, then lowers them. Trying to counter the sedative affects of alcohol, while you think you're relaxing, the nervous system actually puts the body into a state of hyperactivity. Along with a drop in blood sugar and dehydration (alcohol acts as a diuretic), this can cause palpitations, dizziness, confusion, nervousness, muscle weakness, shaking and sleep deprivation. Alcohol circulates in your system for around 12 hours... yeah, been through that experience a few too many times myself. Not fun.

Good news that your heart is normal from the recent ECGs. Actually, anxiety releases chemicals in your body during palpitations to protect your heart.. no damage happening. I had the same symptoms as you at 23, and 7 years later, even after literally days of non-stop palpitations, I'm still here and OK :D

If you want to look after your heart better, eat Omega-3 in the form of fish oils. You're doing Paleo, so that should be helping, right?
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
Thanks for your response, fearnot. I stopped drinking alcohol altogether (it's off the Paleo diet anyway). I can have a drink or two (not more than that) every now and then but for now, I'll just be alcohol-free. I've been taking omega-3 fish oil capsules three times a day (what's recommended on the label). Paleo is helping. I also had a stress test and that was normal.

Let's just summarize this: I've had 3 EKGs, a chest x-ray and a stress test - ALL have come up normal. I think I can relax now!

I'm exercising regularly now (I was afraid for a while for fear that my heart would act up or something), especially since I got my HR up to 180 during the stress test and I was fine (and I'm a runner and never have had any issues during a race).

The main symptoms I have are brain fog (Paleo is helping this), dry eyes (it's frigidly cold here in Chicagoland), fatigue (weather/stress), tingling and sometimes some pain in my mid-back (not sure why that happens a lot), weight loss (most likely caused by Paleo, anxiety and exercise), and heart "flops" and very minor chest pains.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
Besides the anxiety symptoms that creep up, I'm sure you're perfectly healthy. So yes, you can relax now. None of your main symptoms sounds anywhere near life-threatening. In fact, I've had all of them too, and eh, the heart flops are annoying but just remember whenever they happen that they're just normal and boring really. Taking slower, deep breaths helps them clear.

Also, I get it in my neck and shoulders, so you might hold a lot of tension in your back and shoulders. I suppose there's stretches you could do to release it.

I'm eat primal, but I know that going paleo has its own side-effects too when you start from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. More brain fog, anxiety, fatigue.. but I know that soon clears too.
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Thanks everyone. Just for the record, I'm 23 years old, 5'9", 150 lbs, somewhat athletic build, have a very healthy blood pressure, eat healthier than most people I know around my age, have never had any major health problems, and I exercise pretty regularly. I just got really scared when I had heart palpitations and tachycardia as my only hangover symptom on three separate occasions for 12 hours straight each. I've had all of these tests and they're normal. 2014 is going to be my first alcohol-free year.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: