Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Had an episode of diverticulitis, now convinced that I will wind up in ER  (Read 676 times)

Offline averagejoeblow

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Due to my HA, I had a colonoscopy a year ago, nothing found except for a mild case of diverticulosis, just the presence of a few small pouches.  I eat a lot of fiber, usually, and haven't had a problem at all.  The HA was finally calmed down.  Then this weekend, I went to my parent's house, ate pretty well, lots of corn and some salad with walnuts, along with turkey and stuffing. 

Well, Sunday night I started having a sharp pain in the lower left abdomen, frequent urination, and 102 fever.  The belly on the left was really tender to touch.  My heart was racing and skipping beats like mad.

After 6 hours, the fever broke and the pain dropped in half.  I thought about going to the ER, but I felt it would be humiliating to go and find out it was gas and that my HA was back.

I got up Monday and went to work, but it still hurt.  I had a BM in the meantime, so I wasn't worried about a blockage.  But, since it still hurt, I went to see the convenient care doc.  He diagnosed diverticulitis, inflammation of those pouches.  Went home and started a low fiber diet for the next week and antibiotics.  The doctor didn't seem particularly concerned, just to call if I didn't get better. Woke up today, about 90 percent of the pain is gone, the area is still a little tender to the touch and the BM's are frequent, but I usually get like that after antibiotics. 

Then I googled.

OMG, bowel perforation, bowel resection, colostomies, etc....  Now, I'm freaked.   I feel much better, but I'm just convinced that I'm going to wind up in the ER, dying, or on a colostomy bag the rest of my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Had an episode of diverticulitis, now convinced that I will wind up in ER
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
And now a mild fever is back, like 99.9F.  One day in, shouldn't it be gone entirely?  Totally freaking out, can't tell if I'm feeling chills from it or the HA.  ARGH! :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
Have you contacted you GP, or maybe the nurse line?
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
No, they said only call if it got worse or if it wasn't better in a couple of days.  Trying not to panic from the HA, don't want to make any unnecessary calls....
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »
Okay, an hour after the latest cipro and my fever is gone.  Plus, I called my mom, she had the same thing years before, and she said that the fever would come and go for days or even weeks at a time.  She had that for 10 years before finally having them remove a piece of the colon and has been symptom free for the past 15.  She also said my grandmother had the same problem for the 25 years before she died and she always had a fever and lower-left stomach pain and anitibiotics always cleared it up.

I know, from reading the lit, that it's rare for people to need surgery, and it's even more rare that people need emergency surgery, and there's only about 3500 people a year who die from it in the US, and those tend to be much older than my 43 years.

But, the HA doesn't make those kind of distinctions.  They think, you'll be one of the 3500.  Or, you'll be one of the ones who doesn't die, but winds up with the surgery.  I know the odds are in my favor, but the HA doesn't care.

HAH!

Guess I'll either get better, or get worse.  My mom said you'll know if it needs emergency surgery, because she knows someone who needed it.  They had a fever of 104 and climbing, vomiting, laying on the floor crying in pain and screaming.

I'm not there at all, just a little discomfort still in the belly and slight fever.  It's only one day on the antibiotics, guess I'll give it more time.

Thanks to everyone who reads these, just knowing someone is out there is a relief....
Bookmark and Share

Offline SheWhoShallRemainNameless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
My father was one of those rare people who needed emergency surgery. It was terrifying, but there was zero doubt something was wrong. No mistaking it. And he had it and is perfectly fine now. His symptoms did not come and go, or get better at all. It was constant. If something's wrong, you'd know for sure. And you'd still end up being okay, in that unlikely case.
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Thanks, SheWhoShallRemainNameless.  I needed that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
Okay, I wound up in the ER.  Doc said that with such a low grade fever, probably just hadn't given the anti-biotics enough time.  Feeling better today, also because he told me to do a liquid diet for awhile, and that seems to help.  He seemed more concerned about the blood in my urine, thinks maybe there's a kidney stone as well.

Ah well, taking it done day at a time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Okay, it's been 6 days on antibiotics and I'm feeling better, but I still have a feeling of pressure on my bladder.  The urine test from Thursday shows a small amount of bacteria, a small amount of mucus and a few EPITHELIAL cells, whatever those are.  I'm now just convinced that I've got some type of colon to bladder fistula and that i'll need part of my color removed.  The doctor didn't seem concerned by the test results, they told me over the phone 2 days ago to just hang in there and see if I'm feeling better in 5-7 days.  I don't have air when I pee, which I asked him about and he said yeah, you'd have air plus i'd be passing fecal matter, and I'm not.  He seems to think it'll resolve itself.

But, I googled, and found tons of people who've had the same problem, and they all wound up having part of their colon removed, sometimes with a colostomy, but usually elective surgery without, and they all felt much better.  I keep telling myself that in the worst case scenario, i'd wind up feeling much better.  But all I can think of is either winding up with a colostomy bag for the rest of my life or dying from the surgery.

I can't tell if the urge to pee now is from the diverticulitis, or from anxiety.  I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of my digestive problems over the past 8 years might have been from the diverticulitis. 

Mostly I'm wondering, why me????
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikemike

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
I Have Never Had A Situation Like This But Sounds Like You Have A Great Support System Try And Relax My Wife Loves To A Point When My Ha Acts Up Because I Usually Clean The Whole House Lol Try And Lose Yourself In A Book Best Wishes For A Clean Bill Of Health
Bookmark and Share
Concentration is a fine antidote to anxiety.-
Jack Nicklaus

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 08:04:38 PM »
Ok, 3 more ER visits later, and a general practioner visit, here is the results

CT Scan with contrast - divertriculosis with no signs of diverticulitis, fatter liver, nothing else, nothing in kidneys, no fistulas, no absesses, no inflamation.
chest x-ray clear
EKG-good
Bloodwork at ER-good
Multiple Urine alysis showing blood and protein in urine

Multiple diagnosis, one ER doc is sure it is a small kidney stone, won't show up on the ct with contrast, would need one without contrast.  One ER doc think it probably wasn't even diverticutlits, or if it was, it was a mild case, and probably a small kidney stone.  GP doesn't know.

They've refereed me to a urologist on Monday.  And prescribed flotime to help pass a kidney stone.

I looked back at my medical records, i've had blood and protein in urine for 2 years, maybe even as long as 4 or 5.  No signs of infection when they grow it.

I'm totally freaked now that I have bladder cancer.  I'm 43, which makes it rare, but not impossible.  It could be like they say a small stone, but why would i have had blood in urine for 2 years?

And this is where the HA says, maybe i was right all along....  Guess I'll find out Monday if I have to have a cytoscope.  I guess there's a urine test where they can look for cancer cells, but looks like they usually do a cytoscope.

I'm not going to post anymore, because I don't want to freak anyone else out, this is supposed to be a HA board, not an actual board.  God, please let it be a small kidney stone and the HA is just making it worse!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
So relieved.  Met with the Urologist who said, the pain your having is not at all like bladder cancer, it's all nerve pain from you back.  It also explained the 4 or 5 other groin/bladder pains I've had over the past 5 years.  He said, you've had blood and protein in your urine at a very small amount for ten years, if you had bladder cancer you'd be dead already.  That's the difference between statistics and his hands-on years of practice.  He's going to send the urine off for a marker check, just to make me feel better, but he's convinced it's not bladder cancer.  He offered to do the cytocsope, but said he wouldn't recommend it given the symptoms.

I told him I'd looked up the stats on people with blood and protein in their urine, but that my mom has had it for at least forty years and he's like, yep, that's what you have.  It's very common, apparently.

The HA had the better of me, but thank god I am starting to finally calm down....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Janelle

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
I'm new here but I have diverticulitis and it gets very pain ful, I have some health issues and i stress out alot. I tried eating bulk in my diet ,but it caused me to much problems , so i stay on a bland diet. Anything with seeds will have me on the floor in pain. Have you tried eating a bland diet?    I know our minds can go wild with anxiety will our health issues. If you ever want to talk about it  I'm a good listener. Hope you feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
Janelle, thanks for the kind words.  Yeah, I ate a clear liquid diet for 3 days, then a bland diet for a week, now I'm back to eating regularly but with 2 servings of Benefiber a day.  The pain is mostly gone, but what is left is not really in the same place, it's down by the ground and into the leg and feels more like muscle/nerve pain.

The docs don't seem worried, even though I'm still not peeing quite right.  Still showing signs of prostatitis, but no signs of infection.  The regular doc thinks the diverticulitis is resolved, the urologist wants me to come back in 6 months, he didn't seem concerned by the low amounts of blood and protein in the urine, and he made the point, it's been there on tests for at least 5 if not 10 or 15 years. If it was going to kill me by now, it would have....

I see my GP next week for a followup, and I think I'm going to ask to go back on Celexa for the anxiety....

Thanks to all who read through this post.  The HA has been completely nuts and the docs actually seemed worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »
A server at a restaurant that I frequent had diverticulitis and he had to be hospitalized for
2 days. He told me he could not walk and was in severe pain. He drinks quite a bit of
alcohol and is 37. The doctor told him that as long as he watches his diet and alcohol intake
he should be fine. He has had a few relapses that did not require him to be hospitalized as
he continues to drink alcohol. He lost 15 pounds.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: