Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: muscle twitching for over 6 months, but magnesium seems to help control it  (Read 1468 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has strange problems and can relate, and if so, what do you do to alleviate symptoms? I have been having strange problems for like 2 years now. THe thing that bothers me the most is muscle twitching, pain, and a chest pressure feeling. All that stuff has been getting better since i started taking magnesium, but it's still there. I have not seen a doctor yet. I have been having all day long muscle twitching since about 6 months ago. It started in my heart for 4 weeks (PVCs), then moved to my right eyelid for 8 weeks nonstop, then moved to right side of face only for 4 weeks, especially around mouth, then just moved all over the place. My cheeks in my face felt like they were being pulled backwards towards my ears. I get twitches all day long and when it was really bad if i touched my forehead it would trigger my whole face to twitch. These are twitches and not spasms. Then, along with this, about 3 months ago up until now, i started having this chest pressure feeling like someone was squeezing or stepping on my chest making it hard to breathe. My lungs are fine and im sure my heart is fine. SO finally i couldnt take it anymore and i started using gaviscon for acid reflux and that helped but also helped my twitching to not be so bad, well each gaviscon has 35 mg magnesium in it, so i thought maybe i was experiencing a mag deficiency and the chest pressure was actually spasms i was feeling, since everything else was twiching. So i stopped the gaviscon and now am just taking magnesium, and it's really helping me. I feel like i can expand my chest so i don't get that tight squeezing feeling or twitching until several hours after i take the mag (i guess when it wears off). But why would i have this problem? I eat healthy, am young (35), and fit? THe only thing i can think of is maybe it is tied in with my small bowel being unable to absorb stuff. I had an EGD a while back and i had lymphocytosis but negative celiac panel so they don't know why, but if you don't figure it out, eventuallly you stop absorbing stuff. I thought small bowel bacterial overgrowth due to motility function might be my problem, after all the intestines are controlled with contractions/muscles/nerves and if mine are messed up it would make sense that overgrowth could happen to me. I would be lying if i said i didn't think limited scleroderma was in the back of my mind, because when i had a colon (for uncontrollable diarrhea last year and no cause found) my colonoscopy was normal except that my actual colon was very stiff/rigid. WHen i had my eyes checked recently it was found i have very strong traction (muscles being pulled to the limit) adn the eye doc says as long as i dont do contact sports ill be ok, if i do, he would recommend surgery so i don't get i guess retinal detachment. There was no optic neuritis. So why am i twiching and why are the muscles in my body so tightly pulled? Also, i have been having total cold intolerance that causes a throbbing pain. The other day my office was cold at work and my hands felt like they were throbbing and then all of a sudden my middle finger joint felt like it was sprained and it hurt to bend it, but there was no redness or swelling. Last week i was getting what felt like charlie horses in my lower back and that hurt. Then for a while i had this pain in my upper right chest that wrapped around my right shoulder into my right back shoulderblade. I can't really sleep good because i have been getting this throbbing pain on the outside of my hips and it goes down the front of my thigh into my knees. The other things that's weird, is that inactivity or just sitting around makes me hurt, i start getting throbbing joint pains and stiffness but then when i get up and walk around, after a couple minutes it all goes away and i feel fine. It's annoying cause when i am at work i have to keep getting up and walking around or i get too stiff and it hurts. I thought it should be the other way around, like activity would cause pain not inactivity. Oh well, i am unusual i guess. Well, at least the twitching is getting better. I made an appt with a neurologist in a few weeks, but im not holding my breath, prob wont get any answers. I do have MS in my dad, his sister, and i think her daughter has MS. We also have a lot of autoimmune disorders in my family. I have had my ANA and rheumatoid factor checked several times and it is always normal, only once was my rheum factor only slightly elevated. So what's the deal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: muscle twitching for over 6 months, but magnesium seems to help control it
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:50:36 AM »
^typo.. I don't have MS or anything wrong with me. I meant say MS family history. I am not worried about MS or ALS or any of that stuff because i don't have any weakness, blindness, and im not falling or anything like that. With me, my bet would be magnesium deficiency, small bowel bacterial overgrowth, maybe viral infection of central nervous system, stuff like that. But i really think its some deficiency causing the twitching i guess?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: