Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: fear of brain problems or tumour  (Read 437 times)

Offline perc19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fear of brain problems or tumour
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
Hello,

I am new to this and apologise for my long post, but I am becoming so scared that I have some horrible illness or a brain tumour and need some advice or support from others who may have experienced the same things.

It all started at beg of Aug, when I was getting mild but dull headaches on the right side of my head, sometimes they would ease other times they would stay all day. Anyway I am an anxious person and do worry a lot, I was talking to a friend about my money worries, whether to change my job and apply for another, my lad starting secondary school and finishing my final degree assignment when I was struck by a real sharp pain in the top right of my head! I instantly felt sick and became worried that something was going on. I went to out of hours doc he said it was a virus with sinus troubles too, that didn't clear up, kept getting really bad headaches that could either start upom waking or develop through the day and they did hurt along with regulare stabbing pains in the same spot or flash pains across other areas of my head.
so I have been to a further 4 docs, all telling me its anxiety, I was given amititryptyline which I am taking a small dose, I have experienced moments when my head feels odd, then my heart goes crazy, I sweat, feel sick and dizzy then it passes. Doctor said they are panic attacks. So over the last 4 days I haven't had any stabbing pains in my head, but I have felt tingling in various areas of body including hands, top lip, tip of tongue and then today goosebumps/tingling on back of head with a feeling of instant nausea!

The doctor has told me he can send me for and MRI to ease my worries, but I don't know what to do. I have also read that brain tumours can cause anxiety symptoms!

What do I do? Is it just anxiety and do I ride it out or go back with my newer symptoms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: fear of brain problems or tumour
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
I think I'm gonna agree with your doctors on this one too.  Anxiety can REALLY mess with your head and make your body believe that you have some disease when you don't have it.

I was having sharp stabbing pains on and off again for about 1 year and I was for sure I had a brain tumor.  But, when I found another illness to focus on, they went away.  See what I'm saying, your brain focuses on a disease and that's all you experience...are the symptoms that have to do with the disease you're obsessing over.  I'm not saying you're overly obsessed with anything...but it happens all the time.

Health anxiety is awful, but it is manageable.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rhino0924

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Healthly Anxiety is the Ultimate Goal.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
Sucks to hear you having this Perc19, but your Doc sounds like he is willing to do what is needed to put your mind at ease. I agree with Caribou in that you don't have some random brain tumor/disease. Instead you have common signs of health anxiety.

Those of us with HA tend to create a spiral of sorts that starts with one thing, then escalates into another, and another, and another. So on and so on. Let's say you get the MRI done, can you with 100% confidence accept the results and move on with your life? That is the big question when it comes to getting these tests done for "Peace of mind".

We begin to doubt the test was accurate, or something was missed. Then the cycle of tests and second opinions starts and you will be sucked into the deep recesses of Health Anxiety hell.

If you choose to follow the MRI scan, make sure you are ready to accept the results (Good or Bad) and move on. You DO NOT need 2nd, or 3rd opinions, you need to forget the symptoms and re-train your brain to ignore those pains you have (most likely) ignored all your life.

Good Luck and Stay Strong
Bookmark and Share
“Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.”  ~Edward Stanley

“Today, more than 95% of all chronic disease is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies and lack of physical exercise.”  ~Mike Adams

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »
Hello,

Thank you so much for your replies, I do believe I have got myself into a right state over thhese sharp head pains, but I just can't help myslef thinking there is something underlying as the moments of feeling sick can really come at a point when I feel quite relaxed. How long does it take to stop feeling these symptoms of anxiety so that I know what is real and what is anxiety? Or is that a million pound question???
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rhino0924

Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
How long does it take to stop feeling these symptoms of anxiety so that I know what is real and what is anxiety? Or is that a million pound question???

That is indeed the million pound question. Some will live with those symptoms for the rest of their lives, while others (either on Medication or Therapy or both) are able to eliminate them completely in a matter of months.

I really do wish i could tell everyone how long they will live with those anxiety related symptoms, sadly that will never happen. Keeping your mind happy and healthy is the only way to combat those symptoms. Keeping your mind trapped with depressed and in fear is one way to live in Health Anxiety agony.
Bookmark and Share
“Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.”  ~Edward Stanley

“Today, more than 95% of all chronic disease is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies and lack of physical exercise.”  ~Mike Adams

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:36:39 AM »
Hi everyone,

An update to my post and was wondering what you think.

I was taking amiitriptyline for 6 weeks and although the stabbing pains stopped
I was feeling sick with them, been told to stop them for 2 weeks and go back to the doctor. Now in 3rd week appointment Thursday, but the stabbing pains have come back and now I'm getting worried that something is wrong with me!!!!

Are these head pains really just anxiety as I feel calmer now than I did 8-9 weeks ago.

Any thoughts would be most welcome

X
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rhino0924

Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
Heya Perc, glad to hear things were good for awhile. My wife still takes Amitriptyline for her head pains. When all was said and done, it turned out to be nothing more than severe tension headaches. Problem for her is that tension loves to hang around so to manage she is on that medication until she can find a way to trickle off them without major withdrawals. Try getting a massage focusing on your neck/shoulders and see what that brings. Also try some should/neck exercises.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nate1028

Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »
I am new to Anxiety Zone, but justed wanted to say hang in there! I am having some headache type troubles myself right now, and certainly, I always start thinking the worst. One of my favorite quotes:  "Life hardly ever lives up to our anxieties".  Hoping things start looking up for you with this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Cowardly neurotic anxious stressed out depressed human being.
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
Two words hun: Tension Headaches! since you are a "anxious person" and worry a lot and had problems before, tension headaches occur. Tension headaches are pretty common and natural especially for those who are suffering from stress and anxiety.

Please try to ease your mind and honey, you do not have a brain tumor! it's all in your mind.

best of lucks and merry christmas!
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it" - Paramore (from the song "Now")
Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries" - Timon & Pumba (Disney's Lion King)
“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Tags: