Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Bridges  (Read 354 times)

Offline meggiepie44

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Bridges
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
Whenever Im driving in my car and i go to drive over a bridge, I cant do it. I panic, and then I have to pull over the side of the road and call someone to talk me out of panicking. For example, just yesterday i was driving home from college to my house for halloween, and there's a bridge that i have to go over to get to my house. I found myself on the side of the road once again, and i called my boyfriend, and he actually had to come and get me and drive me across the bridge. I felt so bad, because I couldn't drive myself over the bridge. I have a fear of them (most likely) because when i was little I watched someone drive their car off of a bridge when i was going on vacation to NY. they fell and everyone in the car died from suffication. I just cant deal with this, i need to be able to drive myself across a bridge without there being a problem, but I don't know what to do. Everyone says that if i just drive myself across then i wont have a problem ever again, but i did drive myself across, and i made myself so sick with worry that i passed out after i got across the bridge. Does anyone know anything i can do to help? Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Bridges
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »
My mom hates either driving over bridges, or being driven over them.  What we do - which sounds mean - is we pretend the bridge is going to collapse.  I know that sounds mean but hear me out...I swear this isn't a joke.

Whenever we freak out, she just says to us "Oh seriously, what are the odds it will collapse?"  And then she feels fine, for that moment.  So, while it may seem harsh, my mom rationalizes the situation and gets over it for the time being.

So I apologize if I offended you.  But, maybe have someone in the car with you when you drive over it, to help you rationalize your thoughts.  And then, after awhile, try it alone.  It will take time, but as they say "practice makes perfect."
Bookmark and Share

Offline Artemissive

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:29:45 AM »
This happens to me too :( I have all the bridges mapped out in my town and go alternate routes. Rationalizing hasn't really helped... Sorry this isn't helpful, I'm also curious if anyone has any advice for this :)
Bookmark and Share

Online Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »
My best friend's aunt has the same problem.  We discovered this on a road trip that took us over the chesapeake bay bridge...all 13 miles of it.  On the way south she screamed the whole way (it didn't help that it was raining and we could barely see 10 feet in front of us) but on the way back we cranked up the radio and she managed to distract herself by singing.  I guess trying to remember the lyrics took her mind off the whole bridge thing.  The volume was the same as the trip down but a whole lot easier on the rest of us...and on Aunt C as well.  Hope that helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
My best friend's aunt has the same problem.  We discovered this on a road trip that took us over the chesapeake bay bridge...all 13 miles of it.  On the way south she screamed the whole way (it didn't help that it was raining and we could barely see 10 feet in front of us) but on the way back we cranked up the radio and she managed to distract herself by singing.  I guess trying to remember the lyrics took her mind off the whole bridge thing.  The volume was the same as the trip down but a whole lot easier on the rest of us...and on Aunt C as well.  Hope that helps!

My fiance and I drove over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge this past summer on a trip to North Carolina.  I was worried as the passenger but what I did was take out my camera and vlog the trip going over.  I focused on keeping the camera straight and talked to my fiance and the trip wasn't bad at all.

When I go to his house I have to drive over a small bridge that never gave me a problem until a red light was installed at the end.  I HATE being stuck on the bridge and have had panic attacks.  :(  What I do now is distract myself by looking at things in my car - my purse, a book, some CDs.  I look up to see if the light is green and it has helped me in the past.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: