Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Left side, muscle tightness and vein (I think) throbbing on my face  (Read 951 times)

Offline KagawaMUFC

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey guys,

I am pretty sure I have TMJ, and have been experiencing some symptoms that are a bit strange and distressing to me that I am not sure if they are related.

My left side of my face, near my temple, feels more tight then normal at times, and usually through out the day my temple is like protruding or swollen and pulsing (normal pulse rate, just much stronger pulse then other side of face). This pulsing goes all the way up to the top of the left side of my head, which at times also feels swollen or larger than my right side and pulses very noticeably. I also feel a rubber tube like feeling that I think is a vein, but I am told might be a muscle below my temple that goes horizontally towards my ear.

It is slightly painful to touch (sore) and headaches come and go and are not very serious.

As usual, the main issue is the anxiety and panic I get with this, I think it is an aneurysm or a stroke or something whenever it gets bad. Does anyone have a similar experience or history with this who also has TMJ (or even if you don't). Or if you have a similar experience with an unknown symptom and have coping method advice.

I think talking about it with people will help me a lot, this is my first time doing anything like this, so I am excited to hear what you guys think.

Thanks for any help/advice, I really appreciate it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hannahshushu

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Left side, muscle tightness and vein (I think) throbbing on my face
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
Hi, I just wanted to see if your issue had resolved yet. 

I, too, have been experiencing pressure on the left side of my head, near my temple, and the vein (or artery) is more prominent looking than before and I can feel it, like you said, underneath the skin.  I have been having headaches that seem a lot like tension headaches and all of this started after I had several cavities fills.  After I went to the dentist my TMJ issues flared up bad, but this vein showing up in the last couple of weeks has gotten my anxiety way up.  I keep thinking I have temporal arteritis or something like that, even though I am only 32.  I just don't like when I don't feel right because my anxiety flares up.  Rationally, I believe this feeling is caused by my TMJ issue and that it will go away over time.  But the anxiety in me keeps telling me that I have temporal arteritis and that if I don't go blind or have a stroke/aneurysm from it, then I will have to be on steroids for years and get fat and hideous.  AGGHHHHH.  SO anway, I just wanted to see if you ever found out anything, since our symptoms are very similar. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nelly22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Left side, muscle tightness and vein (I think) throbbing on my face
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
I am 28 now, and first noticed the vein near the temple thing when I was 18. I was always so worried it was an aneurysm or something horrible, but throughout my 10 year journey with health anxiety, I've had numerous MRIs, MRAs, CTs, etc. that all showed nothing wrong there. I also have tmj. If you're touching it a lot...DON'T! That was my biggest problem, since all the touching dilates and inflames the artery and causes it to ache. Once I stopped touching it the headaches and odd sensations mostly went away. I have major issues worrying about artery problems like aneurysms and strokes so I'm very aware of many pulses and arteries in my body. I think being able to feel and see these things are just normal variations from person to person.
Bookmark and Share