Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies Fear  (Read 405 times)

Offline brighton882

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies Fear
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to this forum, but I have had a few anxiety episodes lately that have culminated in this fear, which is interfering with me more than the others so far.

Yesterday I was biking to the library when I biked over some new roadkill. Gross I know, but I couldn't really see it in time, and skirted around the main body, but biked over the liquid stuff around it (yuck). Anyway, about five minutes later, I arrived at my destination and locked my bike. In the process, I'm worried I may have touched the tire that hit the roadkill remains with my hand, which has a paper cut on it. As far as I could tell the tire was dry, but I don't know for sure as it all happened quickly. Then I researched and saw that while rare, you can get rabies if the saliva or neural tissue f a rabid animal gets into the skin.

I mentioned my concern to my boyfriend, who thinks of course, that this is a crazy worry.

What do you guys think, is this a legitimate concern? If not, any tips on how to handle the anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 151
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies Fear
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
It would be very rare if you did catch anything in this way at all. Very very slim chance. The animal would have had to have been infected and you would have had to have had to get a lot more of this dead animal on you. I can understand your worry. But I think you have more chance of winning the lottery. The more you worry about it and read about up on it, the more you may think you are going through the symptoms of it. As the mind if a powerful weapon when used against us. Just try and relax the mind. Try not to even think about it. See how you are over the coming week. Though if you are anxious about it, you may begin to think you are feeling the effects of it. If this happens speak to a vet or even your local chemist. They will put you straight as far as facts go.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies Fear
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
I have the same exact fear! I've pretty much been able to keep it under control, until this week whenever I think that a bat managed to possibly crawl under my sheets and bite me. I absolutely paranoid that a bat is going to fly in to my bedroom and bite me undetected! I got the shot two and half years ago, so I'm sure that my antibodies are higher than most people. However, I just can't get over my fear of rabies and it absolutely drives me insane.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: