Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hypnotherapy?  (Read 263 times)

Offline tlebo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hypnotherapy?
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
Has anyone tried hypnotherapy for anxiety? I can usually get over my anxious feelings within an hour or so but I've gone the past week feeling anxious all the time. I keep thinking of things from my past that I feel guilty about and it's causing me anxiety. I thought maybe hypnotherapy would help me get to the bottom of it but I'm scared it might bring up more stuff that will make me feel guilty.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hypnotherapy?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Hi,

I have not tried hypnotherapy . . . but, I think that you need to deal with the guilt . . . do you feel that you have done something that would provoke a feeling of guilt? You don't have to tell us, but if you do have this anxiety around feeling guilty or feeling that hypnotherapy might come up with something to make you feel guilty, then you need some professional intervention to guide you . . .I have found that I am able to deal with guilty feelings if I confront the reason for the guilt . . . often, my guilt is ot grounded in reality . . . .if you do decide on hypnotherapy, do your homework so that the practitioner is Board Certified and is bound by the principles of confidentiality, etc.

But, do consider some type of intervention so that if you have done something that carries the burden of guilt, you can confront it and resolve it rather than have it lurk in the background promoting anxiety . . . and please let us know how it works out . . .we don't need details, jut that you are on your way to recovery . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline tlebo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
Thank you for responding. I feel like something has set me off recently. And it had nothing to do with being guilty. Last Sunday I was really hungover which made me feel depressed/anxious and then on Monday I remember there was talk at work about an event that made me anxious. After that I just began to think of things that would make me anxious. I started to think of things from my past. It started with some half truths I told my boyfriend, regarding dancing with other guys and flirting, and it's escaled from there with me feeling guilty about other times I've flirted, to having some attraction to other guys. It helps to tell him but I'm dragging up the past and I'm sure he's been attracted to girls and I know it's nothing he should feel guilty about. I feel like my mind is searching for the next thing to make me feel guilty and that's why I thought maybe hypnotherapy would just get to the bottom of it and end this vicious cycle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:23 AM »
I think hypnotherapy is a promising strategy for folks . . . I guess my question would be as to why you feel like flirting . . . if you are drinking so that you are really hungover and you have a tendency to flirt, I would suggest a step or two back and realize that alcohol may turn flirting into something else and that can damage a relationship . . . the combination of alcohol, especially enough alcohol to cause a really bad hangover lays the groundwork for actions that we might later regret (I've been there) . . . so, try hypnotherapy . . . just with a qualified professional and check in and let us know how you are doing . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline tlebo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
I feel like I've always been a flirtatious person. I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years and I haven't flirted that much, but I think maybe I liked the attention. I have avoided flirting for a year or so but I dwell on the times I previously did and feel guilty.
I might try self hypnosis first and see how that works. Will keep you posted
Bookmark and Share

Offline MichGuy

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
Hypnotherapy was part of my overall CBT treatment with my psychologist. It was not the central part of my 'healing', but it did play a good role.

It can be helpful in the big picture of things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:24:52 AM »
Has anyone tried hypnotherapy for anxiety? I can usually get over my anxious feelings within an hour or so but I've gone the past week feeling anxious all the time. I keep thinking of things from my past that I feel guilty about and it's causing me anxiety. I thought maybe hypnotherapy would help me get to the bottom of it but I'm scared it might bring up more stuff that will make me feel guilty.

It is certainly worth a try. Ive tried hypnotism years ago and my therapist taught me how to practice a method on my own.  Somewhere along the way when I was better I quit using this method..
Bookmark and Share

Tags: