I am 98% sure that I have thyroid cancer & here is why: When I was 16-years-old (I am 23, now) my ex-boyfriend noticed a large lump protruding from the front of my neck. I honestly did not think much of it & foolishly shrugged it off, like the careless teenager that I was; also, homeless. Anyway, I made an appointment with my doctor (I was private-pay) & when she saw me... she immediately pointed-out the bulge coming from the right-side of my neck. So, she ordered an ultrasound & those showed a 2.5cm (some-what complex cyst) thyroid nodule. Okay, then she tells me to not worry & that I had about a 3% chance that this could harbor a malignancy. That put me in a good mood, 97% that I am fine! I later find-out that my (now deceased, old age/89) maternal Grandmother had a goiter removed from her neck when she was in her 30's, due to it pressing on her trachea/windpipe. It turned-out to be benign, so that is cool... right? Age 19, I go in for an ultrasound. The thyroid nodule is now 2.0cm, however there is a possible solid 9mm mass right next to it. I was not sure what to think about that. I see an ENT, he wanted to do a biopsy. However, he reassured me that I would be more likely to die from a shark attack than thyroid cancer. Life happened. I never got the biopsy done & I hopped my homeless butt on a Greyhound bus with just the clothes on my back... from Washington to Florida. That was one Hell of a week. Poop hit the fan shortly after & I moved to Arizona (via Greyhound, again.) I was there for a few-ish months, then (yes, I took another Greyhound) I moved back to Washington. I wanted to talk to my ENT about that biopsy, but sadly, he moved as well. Ironic, ay? Blah, blah, blah. Life goes on. Now, I am 20. I get another ultrasound done, which showed that everything was pretty much stable. Nothing of concern, is what was on the records & they noted that this was in favor of a benign condition. Fast forward, again... age 21, besides being pregnant (gave birth to an amazing baby girl, she has Autism & her Dad N' I love her to death everyday -- together, we are now married. <3) Anyway, everything appeared stable... again. Age 22, things start changing. The ultrasound showed that my nodule has significantly shrunk from 2.0cm to 1.6cm -- however, a couple of small NEW thyroid nodules were noted (all under 1cm.) ... & Finally! Age 23, I started with originally 1 nodule, then 2, then possibly 1 again, then 3, now... I have at least 5. My Endo said that this years ultrasound shows that the original nodule possibly shrunk again, but they did find more NEW thyroid nodules. He does not think that this warrants surgery, or even a biopsy. I told him if they ever wanted to biopsy it, do it when you take it out! I asked for surgery & I got a "there's no way." My Endo also says that all of my nodules are no larger than 1cm. I call BULL CRAP!! Sorry, but I can feel them. My Husband can feel them, too. Some are large, very large. I can feel a couple of them pressing on my windpipe & I get a daily tickle by the nodules N' shortly after I will begin to cough like a sea-lion. Just a very dry & hoarse cough. Loud, too. I also have swollen lymph-nodes & a new bone-hard, golf-ball sized lump on my mastoid bone. I am going to just end this thread with... I am so scared that because I have had this nodule(s) for so many years (at least 7) that it will be too late to find a cure. I have read a story about a 23-year-old (my age!) with incurable PTC. She is still alive 18 years later, but I don't know... still gives me the chills. I have a CT-scan on Halloween. *Sigh* Do any of you have thyroid nodules? Thyroid cancer? Thank you!
P.S. Having any thyroid nodule under the age of 20 gives you about a 20-40 percent increased chance/risk of it being cancerous. None of my doctors (& I have seen a lot) take this seriously.